EdGun vs Tipan

Hi everyone I’m hoping somebody out there has experience and can give feedback. I’m looking for either a .177 or .22

• Tipan Veteran standard vs Edgun Matador standard 
  • Tipan Veteran compact vs Edgun Lelya 

I have have no experience with any of these so I’m hoping the community does. Things I'm wanting to gain insight on:

• reliability
  • ease of use
  • parts availability
  • real shot count other than what’s advertised 
  • how do they work in the cold? I heard the EDMU has problems in the cold... is that so for everyone?

Thank you everyone for helping.

I had a similar problem. New user, three guns to choose from.

On the "short" gun versions, I went with the Lelya. More money, but it's a beast of a rifle. The way it's designed, if it fell out of your car/truck at 60mph, it would scar things up a bit, but I'd bet the hard parts would still work fine, and still on target. Designed very stout.

The gun is very...accurate. If I concentrate, I can empty a magazine into within a dime sized hole, shooting off hand (NO support), at my short (about 18yrds) indoor rage, and that's pretty good for almost a 69yr. old guy.

Plus the US seller is a good guy, easy to ask dumb, new user questions to..! He's located on the west coast.

Mike

Reactions: Hepotter
I own both guns and would buy more of both ok first edgun

The Edgun lelya I own in 25 cal , efficient on air , it is very durable, I get about 40 shots at my current tune, and the gun is very accurate to 100 yards. The magazines are very deep for slugs. Cycles well. Very easy to service. Does not need any moderators.

The Edgun R5M, I own is in 22 cal. It is a real powerhouse. Mine is accurate past 200 yards with slugs and is capable of shooting slugs at 70fpe. If you use it for pellets with a low powered tune you would probably get over 50 shots. Cycles well, great design, the magazine holder is right under the scope rail and is a great design. Holds 3 magazines and you can have one mag in the gun so you carry 40 shots. The gun is very quiet. No harmonics. With pellet tune gun is quiet. With slug tune, I use a moderator.

The Tiapan Vetern, 22 standard length is an excellent gun. Very accurate at 100 yards with pellets. Trigger is the best I've felt in any airgun which makes it accurate. The magazines are very deep and can shoot any slugs I make. It comes with a single shot tray. I power tuned my gun to shoot about 52 feet per second to shoot slugs, accurate to about 125 yards. About and 1.125 group, which is good for hunting. The cons for this gun is, it was noisy at even the low power tune so we had to add on a DonnyFL, to be backyard friendly. However, with the power tune we had to add the Ronnin to the gun to keep it quiet. Expect the gun to get about 40 shots for pellet tune and about 22 shots at 52 feet per second with the standard model.

LOU

Reactions: WildcatEric
guys, why do you call it tipan, tiapan or other? its TAIPAN

i had same qeustion. i would chose lelya in short version and taipan in standard

This. I don't know why it irks me when people don't spell it properly. I'm pretty sure when a search online was done on Google or an airgun website, the name TAIPAN appeared. 

I have a R5M Standard in .25cal. Prior to purchasing the R5M, I also considered the Veteran Standard in .25cal. What swayed me to the R5M besides its good looks was the ambidextrous forward charging handle, effective moderator, durability, on board magazine/clip storage, ease of maintenance, available parts and good customer service in the U.S. Just my opinion. I still wouldn't mind picking up a Veteran in the future just for variety. 

Your first want is reliability, as is mine, if you read enough of these posts your going to find none are what I would consider reliable. Every time I post about a particular gun, there are so many posts and pms saying not to buy “ that one”. So I make another post about a different gun, same thing. I am about to the point of not buying one. 

Lol. PCPs' in general are not all that reliable. You can't compare them to firearms. You have little rubber o-rings and plastic/delrin parts trying to contain 3000 to 4500 PSI in a metal tube. If you want reliability, you might want to stick with a springer and not a PCP. The key is to find a PCP which is reliable when compared to other PCPs'.

My EDgun .177 Matador Std is the most fun I’ve had with airguns. It is an amazing rifle... especially when tuned to 15.5 grn slugs.

1568854974_6122946045d82d3be9634f5.08098015_7D250B77-2725-410A-ADF3-A559E9FA2E8D.jpeg

Reactions: bf1956

i had same qeustion. i would chose lelya in short version and taipan in standard

This. I don't know why it irks me when people don't spell it properly. I'm pretty sure when a search online was done on Google or an airgun website, the name TAIPAN appeared.

Agree, details matter..!

Without the correct / proper details, you can have a real mess. Simple as the following -

"Peple wine about...its just speeling", that can mater to..! Vs. People whine about, it's just spelling, that can matter too. Funny...I wasn't talking about wine, I don't drink..!

Again, details matter..! If a poster answers a question and out of the first two sentences ,as more than a couple of misspellings, I don't feel I can trust that persons comments if they cannot even spell correctly. And yes I do give a little credit to folks that English isn't their first language. You can normally tell.

Mike

It spell checks for me. I think you have to turn it on.

Can't.....got no fingers. I type with my tongue. Besides, Tasksula is a way better shot than me. Isn't he the guy in Hawaii that goes up in those jungle hills, stark naked, drops 75 feet out of trees onto the back of wild boars, chokes them to death with his bare hands, then posts pictures of them claiming he shot them with his pcp??? If so, he is a potentially dangerous person to get on your bad side, and I don't want to mess with him. I walk under a lot of trees in Arkansas, and I don't want him taking a bus here from Hawaii and grabbing my scrawny neck!!!

Regards,

Kindly 'Ol Uncle Hoot

My EDgun .177 Matador Std is the most fun I’ve had with airguns. It is an amazing rifle... especially when tuned to 15.5 grn slugs.

1568854974_6122946045d82d3be9634f5.08098015_7D250B77-2725-410A-ADF3-A559E9FA2E8D.jpeg

She looks sweet! Wow that is one awesome piece of glass on that thing! Mine should arrive tomorrow in .22

Thank you everyone that provided great input, and to those that have busted my balls for the misspelling :) You try writing a post with 5 minutes to spare on a cell phone while taking incoming mortar fire and we'll see how well you spell...

Guys should be capitalized. And should end in a period. 

And it’s capital I, and it’s question. And after the period it’s another capital I , and at the end of the sentence there should be a period. And this is coming from a guy that failed spelling, along with about every other class. Those who live in glass houses should not throw rocks. How ever taipan is spelled, we know what it is, that’s all that really matters. JWilson ! nice looking r5m by the way, you did good in the wood lotto.