Edgun, Taipan, Vulcan, Ataman, Kalibrgun, Kral owners - what's your experience?

How is the sound levels of the r5m compared to your other guns? What ldc would you compare the stock r5m too?

One thing no one really talks about is Ed’s ability to quiet a gun down. The R5M is crazy quiet... even at full power. The hammer spring has a good ting to it, as it’s right in your ear, but there is nothing out the front except impact... I have a video somewhere that you can hear it, and then impact 25 yards later... I’ll find it and include it in my next compliation video.

How is the sound levels of the r5m compared to your other guns? What ldc would you compare the stock r5m too?

The R5 platform is the first PCP I didn't feel I needed to add on an aftermarket moderator. My Cricket .25, while an amazing gun, is louder than my R5M at the same power level, with the sound output noted to be a high pitch.

I regretted the Cricket purchase for two reasons - one being that the standard shroud requires some expertise I don't have in removing the epoxied end cap in order to fit an aftermarket adapter to allow for an extra moderator be installed, and weight. The Cricket .25 is longer than the R5M standard and is heavier, especially in the synthetic stock, which I owned. OWNED, as in I sold it last week to purchase another PCP, the Daystate Wolverine R.

So figure that an R5 is fine without any extra sound moderator purchase. You can make them even quieter but tuning them down, if needed, like Tim did with his R5M.

The Taipan Mutant/Veteran is another very quiet PCP in stock form, but I own the .22 shorty version so I can't compare that caliber to my R5M. The R5M in .25 is as quiet as the Crown .25 with extended shroud, maybe a little quieter. The "ping" near your ear is what you'll hear as the shooter, which to some people may bother them. It certainly doesn't cause your ears to ring or become painful or unbearable. It's just there because of head position. Not a dealbreaker for me.

My first Edgun was the R2 (?) single shot with grey/silver stock and have owned several of each generation ever since including the 0.25 R5M that I just got a couple of weeks ago (along with the somewhat similar Lelya 2.0 as well). The Edgun has never been anywhere near the quietest PCP in my safe and the R5M doesn't break that trend. The Edguns always had the loudest pop to them when fired and even though the R5M has a bigger, badder looking shroud, it's nowhere near as quiet as many other PCPs can be easily made with the addition of a DonnyFL (or comparable) LDC.

When Ed released his eccentric mod for the R3M, it helped to reduce to report quite a bit . . . but it was still louder than most everything else I owned (which also means that it was noticeably louder before the eccentric mod). Before the eccentric mod, it was very difficult/impossible to add a mod to the Edgun and even installing the eccentric mod after the fact was a pain in the ass. Donny later made adapters to help with that but I'd moved on from the R3M at that point. Most other rifles can have an effective LDC added with minimal effort and I'll wait to see if Donny makes something to allow for these newer Edguns to quiet down some more.

If you guys are saying that the R5M is one of the quietest PCPs you own and is one of the few rifles you don't think needs an aftermarket mod, then what are the other rifles you're using and comparing them to? 0.30+ and/or big bores because currently, and as usually has been the case, the Edguns are the loudest PCPs I own - yet I'm willing to put up with the louder report because they're stupid accurate, consistent and reliable.

I say all of this as a big Edgun fan and owner of many Edguns past and present - but in no way are they the quietest rifles you can get relative to comparable models.