Edgun r5m standard .25 problem

My friend has Edgun r5m .25 standard.

It does not shoot as good as we had expected at the time of purchase. 

Cocking is not comfortable. Magazine skips the pellets sometimes. But the main issue is with accuracy.

Even at 50 yards it is hard to get 1/2" groups. At 100 yards it is pethatic. 

We increased the power by adjusting hammer spring and now it shoots 34 grain jsb at around 850 fps.

Please advise what should we do to get the accuracy. 

My friend had bought it with great expectations but now when we shoot it with RAW HM1000X and Fx impact at 50 and 100 yards, Edgun disappoints every time.

Will Ed help us out ? Or any other expert ?

Regards, 

Umair Bhaur 

How many rounds have you put through it ? Mine will only shoot the JSB's 25.4 ' good , as far as the cocking I've noticed pulling the cocking lever back ,pause for a second then push forward slowly with steady pressure to index the pellet . Also found out from Brian if you pull the barrel , it needs to be torqued back to around 12 ft. pds. I 've seen some suggest 10 or 11 also . When installing the mag do you turn it to index it ? I can't remember which direction sorry to many guns lol . I think there is a lot of hype with these things & in the same boat ! just a paper weight . Would feel bad to sell it to someone else .

Hi

I don't have an R5m but what you say about the problems with the cocking and the magazine makes me suspect that it may be damaging the pellets. Try to do a test and shoot a target without the magazine and another with magazine

Regards 

Enkey

Thanks for the advice

Infact it is difficult to single load the pellets in the gun. But I shall try to do what you are suggesting. 

Regards 

Did you clean the barrel ? you need to do that out of the box

How many shots do you have through it ? it took mine about 500 rounds to begin to settle in

The cocking is very mechanical , i call it deliberate, this will get better after running some shots through the gun, you will alsi get used to the feel of cocking it

After these are done i would suggest getting several different pellets and then either shoot the hell out of them of better yet run shot strings over a chronograph.

ALL pcp guns take work , and some basic skills, as well as the proper tools to get them dialed in, especially at longer distances , i have yet to buy a gun out of the box that was dead nuts, with the exception of the guns i bought already set up by the vendor, i.e. Ken Hicks, Charlie Frear ....

I’ve owned two of them in .25, a standard and a long. Both of them had cocking and indexing problems. I never tried the heavy pellets in the standard, but with Kings it was OK at best accuracy wise, about equivalent to my first Benjamin Marauder. The Long wouldn’t shoot the heavies accurately, neither Mk1 or Mk2 at any speed. It was again, just OK with the Kings. It’s odd since the single shot Eddies both R3 and R5 are pretty accurate and reliable...

You can single load by using a hacksawed short nail that fits inside the pellet skirt you bend at the end with pliers load them starting from an angle. JSB 25.39gr Kings would probably shoot best.

You need a certain deliberate purposeful cocking rhythm to get them and the Lelyas to cycle properly.

Practice with a Brocock 6 shot or Falcon 8 shot or Umarex 850 and all of its modern day variants then you really be a pro by the time you cock the Edguns.

You need a certain deliberate purposeful cocking rhythm to get them and the Lelyas to cycle properly.

I’ve heard this over and over, that we need to “learn” to cock the gun properly. Nothing against you Yo, you’re just repeating what others have said or what you have experienced yourself....

But really, LEARN to cock the gun??? You gotta be sh&@$$ing me! How many out there needed to LEARN to cock their FX, Daystate, Taipan, or Vulcan? I can tell you right now, No One needed to LEARN to cock their guns. It’s as if there is some secret handshake required, vice just designing the damn mechanism like every other high end gun on the market. I was told the same thing with my two .25 R5Ms. “Watch how Ed does it in the videos”, or “just flick your wrist at the right time on a harvest moon”, or “you just don’t know what you’re doing”... There isn’t even an adjustment that would allow you to perhaps tweak it into operation properly... Rant over.

Hopefully the R6M actually has a functioning mag indexing and cocking system in .25 caliber, whenever that may be... My advice if you really have your heart set on an EDGun is to stick with the single shot models vice playing the lottery with a repeater...

This is a rarity . . . a thread about an issue with an Edgun Matador! I've owned several dozen variations of Matadors over the years and literally the ONLY thing I've ever had to do on any of them in well over 10 years of ownership across many rifles was to replace one (1) o-ring in the air tube. And even that was super simple to do that even I could do it!

This is a rarity . . . a thread about an issue with an Edgun Matador! I've owned several dozen variations of Matadors over the years and literally the ONLY thing I've ever had to do on any of them in well over 10 years of ownership across many rifles was to replace one (1) o-ring in the air tube. And even that was super simple to do that even I could do it!

You appear to be lucky sir.

I feel that Edguns with single shot option and with rear cocking are trouble free.

Do you use any r5m .25 standard?

All .25 Matadors have pellet indexing issue. .22 ones work much better, I would say close to perfection. This is due to the fact that Ed designed Matador with a magazine with .22 in mind. The .25 caliber was a simple extension to .22 just to release a bigger caliber with minimal effort. However, the magazine rotation momentum is different in .25 and it causes the problems. Have you ever wondered why there is no Matador .30 with a magazine? Because the magazine from .22 and .25 cannot accomodate such big pellets and Ed is too lazy to redesign the indexing system.

As of the barrels in EDguns - it is a full blown lottery. The barrels are not selected. They are random ones which are delivered by LW. Noone really validates them, except for the end users. Generally .22 is more accurate than .25 when it comes to LW barrels.

Do not compare EDgun to RAW. RAW owner inspects every barrel by himself. Ed does not even see all of the barrels which are used in his guns.

I did not expect Ed to let the gun out of the factory without through testing of each and every function of the gun.

I hoped it to be as good as RAW.

My mistake.

There is one more issue that I recall. When I shoot the gun, the cocking levers of both sides pop back a bit. But I dont feel any blow of air on my face. I just saw a video of Ed shooting the similar gun and his cocking lever was not popping backwards at all.

This may be one of the reasons of bad accuracy.

Is there any easy fix to this issue?

That's your problem right there, it should not pop back it is either not latching or you are not pushing it forward enough I've caught myself doing that also when I first got my gun . You can feel the click at the very end with your fingers when it latches .Sorry do not know the fix but that will mess with your accuracy problems