Edgun R5M ping...

Hi this is like the second thread on edgun r5m pinging .

I own alot of pcp guns as for my edguns , I own

R5m22 long

R5m 30 sl

R5 25 super mag

lelya 2.0 25 cal

and leshiy various calibers

I run Huma regulators in my slug tunes and eds regulators in my pellet tunes , I have shot litterly hundreds of thousands of slugs and hundreds of thousands of pellets with them , and I never never heard a ping in any of mine , I am wondering if it can be the way you guys are tuning them ? or something , I can say this

OK take for example the r5m 22 cal , I own , I currently shoot this at 69fpe and it is a lazer and very quiet , however ,

Lets say I want to shoot a lower powered tune of say 50fpe , I can get my gun to shoot 50fpe with many different reg and hst settings , some settings are noiser and more violent , if say I cranked up reg settings and hst ,

while I can fine tune it for 50fpe where it is quiet as a mouse , so I somehow still feel it is how you guys tuning them , Maybe Brian or Ed will add to what I said , I can say no way do they Ping ,

I my self would not put anything in my tube or a depinger , as most know this can lead to accuracy issues and loss of power , try tuning guns a different way

LOU

My Lelya 2.0 had a pretty violent ping straight out if the box. Like you I found it very uncomfortable to shoot. I've found that tuning can take a lot of it out and a depinger can take some of the "dwell" out of it as well. 

Adding a depinger shouldn't affect accuracy or power. Maybe in an unreg'd gun you could lose power from it not letting the valve breathe (effectively reducing it's "plenum")? I can't really see it affecting accuracy but if someone could explain it I'd be interested. It does take up volume in the air tube so you may lose a couple of shots.

Hi this is like the second thread on edgun r5m pinging .

I own alot of pcp guns as for my edguns , I own

R5m22 long

R5m 30 sl

R5 25 super mag

lelya 2.0 25 cal

and leshiy various calibers

I run Huma regulators in my slug tunes and eds regulators in my pellet tunes , I have shot litterly hundreds of thousands of slugs and hundreds of thousands of pellets with them , and I never never heard a ping in any of mine , I am wondering if it can be the way you guys are tuning them ? or something , I can say this

OK take for example the r5m 22 cal , I own , I currently shoot this at 69fpe and it is a lazer and very quiet , however ,

Lets say I want to shoot a lower powered tune of say 50fpe , I can get my gun to shoot 50fpe with many different reg and hst settings , some settings are noiser and more violent , if say I cranked up reg settings and hst ,

while I can fine tune it for 50fpe where it is quiet as a mouse , so I somehow still feel it is how you guys tuning them , Maybe Brian or Ed will add to what I said , I can say no way do they Ping ,

I my self would not put anything in my tube or a depinger , as most know this can lead to accuracy issues and loss of power , try tuning guns a different way

LOU

Yep. What Lou said. There is usually a sweet spot for a given projectile and reg pressure with an HST setting that achieves 95-97.5% of peak velocity.

Joe

So a while back I was working on a moderator design for the American Air Arms Slayer, and stumbled across something very interesting about air tube ping. You see, the Slayer is a worst case scenario for tube ping in certain respects, because aside from dumping a "big bore" amount of air with every shot (200FPE) it uses a balanced valve which should produce more of a square waveform opening event, where the valve both opens and closes much more rapidly. This should in turn create more severe ping. 

1587304626_743763605e9c58b2ab7e99.63200714.png

You can see the uncorking event (pellet exiting the mod, presumed) highlighted in yellow, and the ping highlighted in teal. What was unexpected, but actually entirely logical once I thought about it a bit, is that the ping doesn't start at peak amplitude, in fact it starts nowhere close! This is because air is removed asymmetrically, but progressively, from the tube. Put more simply, the air in the tube all shifts in one direct but the air closer to the valve shifts more than the air furthest from the valve. This pressure discrepancy takes time, a couple bounces back and forth, to coalesce into a uniform wavefront which is the really loud and obnoxious ping we all know and hate. 

So that is great and all, but what does this mean for you? Two things I think. First it means the people who hear substantially less ping with their Huma regs may not be crazy at all, the Huma design may, by accident or intent, act to prevent that air movement from coalescing into a wavefront and thereby prevent the ping from occurring. Crazier things have happened. The other thing it means though is that, because you have a reg and so the air movement in the high pressure side of the tube is not particularly violent, it should be pretty easy to design a depinger which increases the acoustic impedance from one end of the tube to the other so much that the wavefront never really forms and ping never really gets going. 

Just my 2c. :) 

I have an R3M in .25 (the last model, more like an R3.5M) and it has a slight ping. It almost sounds like an internal spring, but it's high pitched. It may have something to do with the magazine actuator, IDK. No matter what though, it doesn't lose POI and it's a 45ft lb beast. I wont touch it, if that's the only issue I have, doesn't bother me but I can see how it would bother someone.

Good morning,

I already tried different things to get rid of the ping but this morning i got rid of the ping completely by the good old brush in tube solution, i was confident since it worked with my Hatsan at44 before ;-)

What's left is the slamming hammer and the pellet hitting the target, that's all since the Bat silencer takes care of the rest.

Shorten the brush to around 10cm.

Brush diameter 35mm

Huma setting on 110 Bar, Energy 34 Joule

Easy peasy lemon squeezy.

1587800306_16786687105ea3e8f2f182e4.70411528.jpg

The ping is from hammer, not the tube vibrations. The brush does not work. If it was the cylinder vibrating, use a soft vinyl pipe to stop the cylinder form vibrating. This brush thing is a joke.

The R5M has a strong ping if the hammer hits the valve. Make sure you don't over power the hammer tension. I personally don't notice the strike, but my hearing is S***. 

No experience with the R5, but I owned an R3M in .25 for a number of years. its hammer made a very distinct TINK sound, not a ping. I actually liked the hammer sound, with the offset moderator that is usually all you heard..... This gun saw a full range of tunes from 40fpe up to an unregulated 80fpe tune. There were certain tuning conditions where I could induce a loud ping in the airtube. Usually for me these were tunes where I was on either side of the tune's preferred hammer strike---either using an excess of hammer strike, or far too little hammer strike for the reg setting and desired velocity.....

Yes, the R5M Matador platform definitely has a fairly loud ping next to your ear as delivered from the factory. As @davidsng says above, it has nothing to do with the tube but instead is the hammer/spring strike. Perhaps it can be “low power tuned” to minimize it, but both .25 R5Ms that I have owned (a standard and long) had an irritating ping next to my right ear. In fact the person that sold me the Standard did so because he just couldn’t live with that noise, even when tuned to 45 FPE. And the Long that I had also had that same ping, especially when tuned to shoot Heavies or Slugs.