• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

EDgun R5M/Lelya bolt block disassembly & component pics

Hello all,
Here is a reposting of some work I wrote about in a different forum subsection. I thought it would be helpful to put it where it belongs, in the resources section.

I disassembled, cleaned & re-lubed the bolt block on my Edgun R5M. I'm pretty sure the Lelya uses the exact same parts.

I've never seen this documented anywhere, so here are some pics and notes with my disassembly sequence. It was easy. The only trick was figuring out to use a long allen key to push out the rear bolt cover plug from the inside.

The factory flat head retaining screws were *very* tight and popped sharply as they released. I used a lot of torque to break them free, was afraid I was going to strip out the sockets. Be sure to use a quality wrench, apply increasing torque slowwwly, & wiggle slightly to get them to release.

Here's my master photo diagram with sequence:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 9 Annotated 20220630.jpg

Here's the underside of the bolt block before disassembly. Here you can see why the design has a noticeable stack/ramp-up in the cocking force that some people may dislike; as the sliding cam reaches the end of its rearward stroke (towards the rear/right in this photo), it reaches the end of the slot in the magazine indexing lever and makes the lever pivot around its retaining screw. The far front edge (left in this photo) engages and turns the magazine. There is considerable mechanical disadvantage at this point in this action, plus there is no spring-assist in the magazine. It's simple and robust, at the cost of more perceived cocking effort at the rear position. Once the lubrication is refreshed, it's better:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 2 Annotated 20220630.jpg

First off the bottom is the magazine indexing lever; one screw with o-ring anti-rattle spacer:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 3 20220630.jpg

Next off is the slider/can retaining plate (5 screws) and slider. Use a quality wrench and torque slowly, these can be very tight:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 4 20220630.jpg

The side cover plate comes off with 2 screws, freeing the cocking link 'puzzle piece'. Slide the bolt all the way forward and push out the rear bolt cover plug from the inside using an allen key:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 6 20220630.jpg

Now you can slide the bolt out to the rear for inspection and polishing:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 7 20220630.jpg

I chucked the bolt in my hand drill from both ends to polish the O.D. using 4000 grit 3M abrasive paper:

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 8 20220630.jpg

Here's the bolt after polishing. You can see some linear galling scratches on the rear O.D. (to the right), so the metal pairing or hardness may not be ideal between bolt and block, but it feels better now. I didn't attempt to polish the mating female pocket inside the block for lack of a good method. I'm avoiding grease here to reduce friction. I used light synthetic oil this time; I think powdered graphite or powdered dry molybdenum disulfide would be best next time.

R5M Bolt Block Disassembly 10 20220630.jpg

The factory grease was getting sticky and causing excess drag on all the sliding parts. I used Super Lube synthetic oil lightly on all sliding parts and surfaces, except for the slider cam and lever plate track. These have much higher contact forces, so I used Super Lube synthetic grease there. Next time, I'll use molybdenum disulfide (best) for these higher-force, metal-on-metal sliding surfaces.

While I had the action out, I also took the opportunity to apply some molybdenum disulfide grease to the hammer & sear, which can be done using a small applicator through the side and bottom access holes in the trigger group area without any disassembly.

The rifle cocks easier and the trigger sure feels better (sorry, no measurements on pull weight). I can still feel some dragging during cocking though, perhaps coming from the bolt
handle carriage or forward cocking rod. That's a future exploratory project.

Regards,
Feinwerk

Feinwerk,

your name is German
, and means
● Literally: an intricate machinery of small mechanical parts
● And figuratively: A fine job — well done

You live up to your name. ✅
In both senses.

⭐️ And you inspire me to make similar instructionals in my own area of expertise/ my own guns.

Thank you for serving our AGN community!! 🤝🏼

Matthias

• Love
Reactions: Feinwerk
I have noticed that my magazine has been skipping a spot from time to time. I notice this mote when I am racking the action quickly. Only thing I can think of is the magazine finger is spinning the magazine to fast and the spring detent isn't strong enough to catch the magazine.

Any thought or ideas on how to fix?

Like tou I LOVE my R5M rifles they are durable and hit like a truck.

@JungleShooter , thank you 🤝.. I took my username from my favorite springer from my youth, the Feinwerkbau 124, after I discovered online air rifle forums and learned to refurbish it.

Yes, wouldn't it be great to have technical posts organized by platform in the resources section. Those are my favorite type of posts...seeing good pics of how such things work and things being fixed or optimized. Once I had made up the photos for my own use, I realized that it's not that much more work to share with the community here.

Regards,
Feinwerk

Hi @woogie_man ,
I always cycle my bolt slowly, firmly, and methodically in both directions. In my description above, when the bolt reaches its fully rearward position and starts to move the indexing arm (magazine starts to engage), there is mechanical disadvantage which means more force but also means that it tries to accelerate the indexing arm and mag much faster than the linear bolt speed.

I always slow down when I feel the cocking force stack up at this position and slowly but firmly pull it the rest of the way back without jerk. Then I push it forward slowly to seat the pellet with the most consistent gentle feel each time. I never try to rapid cycle this action or let it snap forward uncontrolled.

Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.

I forgot to mention that the factory greases in my bolt block mechanism had started to dry out and get sticky. A good cleaning and re-lubrication made a big improvement.

Feinwerk

Last edited:
Reactions: woogie_man