• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun r5m has arrived. First impression

So today the nice lady from the post office brought my new Edgun r5m long, .25cal. Also a Discouvery HD3 3-18x50 scope, 4 tins of 25.4gr Edgun ammo and some xtra mags. Thank you Brian at Edgun West, (my new best friend).

Got the Discouvery mounter and loaded 4 mags. Only ended up taking 9 shots though. 8 sots to zero and #9 went exactly though the 8 hole. @ 25yrds

download.png
1535419701_8455754475b84a535230030.05921415_20180827_165404.jpg

Impressive!!. Tomarrow I'll zero @50yrds. Not looking forward to the hand pump, but my compressor will be here Sept. 10.

Ok the gun. Took it out of the box and said, damn this things heavy. Put it to my shoulder and said, damn this things light. Great balance. Looking it over I am really happy with the fit and finish. I have much respect for Russian priorities of reliable, accurate, tough. Built to last. The Edgun is all of that. Mags are simple- I could load one with my eyes closed. This gun is simple. Most practical build of any of the guns I was concidering. My guess is it's the most reliable to in it's class. 

The scope rail sits low to the bore so the scope can mount close to the barrel axis and results in a comfortable cheek weld without having to lift your head. The eye relief on the Discouvery is pretty long, 3.5in. I think. The result is I have to keep my head back toward the butt more than I like. A scope like the MTC Viper Connect woud work perfect. Cantilevered rings would allow a more foreward mount also. Since I'm totally impressed with the Discouvery, I'll adapt.

The feed system is a bit stiff not terrible. Time will cure that, so not a problem. I'll shoot up my ammo and then tune for 34gr.ers. 

The bottom line is even though I have nothing to compare it to, I think the Edgun is the best choice I could have made. As I told Brian, after having it for a few hours only----I LOVE IT.

Bill

Bbstacker,I think I know the gun you got Was it in the classifeds? At any rate the r5 is a super gun. Has more breech set-back so a bit shorter I think. My gun is 32" oal. This fall the black synthetic stock should be available. Have to see what the price is, might get one. But first I'll put a Huma reg. In it so I can shoot 34s. How you set up on your r5. Are you a hunter? 

I wanter to get that guys r5 in the classifides,but got atrade done before I had the money- that why I'm thinking you're the one that got it. Anyway congratulations to us both. Edguns are awsome. Bill.

Chohan, wish I was 57 again. I'm 72 , 165#. Being hunting for over 60 yrs and love my GSP. She's a great birddog and has picked up on silver greys really well over the last 7yrs. This Edgun should be great for tree rats.only a week till grouse here in Oregon. Only 15 min. to grouse and an hour to silver greys. 

Do you have the xl or the classic? I really like those guns. Thanks for the comment. Bill

Chohan, wish I was 57 again. I'm 72 , 165#. Being hunting for over 60 yrs and love my GSP. She's a great birddog and has picked up on silver greys really well over the last 7yrs. This Edgun should be great for tree rats.only a week till grouse here in Oregon. Only 15 min. to grouse and an hour to silver greys. 

Do you have the xl or the classic? I really like those guns. Thanks for the comment. Bill

Mine is the XL unregulated version which I got back in May. I have quite a colorful shooting background from the military but had shied away over the last 15yrs or so due to ringing ears. Even rimfire was aggravating. Then I sort of stumble across airguns and pcp. Umm, what is this? Quiet, powerful rifles.

Imagine my surprise upon receiving the Regal when I discovered it was as accurate as my CZ Varmint 452 .22 LR so hoowaah!... back in the game and loving it. Then I added a tank, then a compressor, then a wildcat... lol, make it stop.

Those GSP's are gorgeous animals. I'd love to see a photo of her later if you can make the time. Enjoy that gun and cheers.

I swear Birddog, you must have an almost exact clone of my R5M. When I talked with Brian he let me in on a clue about the maximum fill pressure. He said you can fill to 300 Bar but you will be putting excessive strain on one of the O-rings and that he usually runs his somewhere around 250 Bar most of the time. Just got mine last week and lost the breech oring right away so had to order some from the oring store. Soooo today was the first time I got to do any shooting with it. At 65 yards it put 27 rounds in a 1 inch circle without a hitch. Methinks that's not too bad with a new gun right out of the box with a regulator that hasn't been broken in yet and a horrible trigger pull between 2.5 and 3 lbs. Will be interesting to see what it does once I get everything set up the way it should be.

Yep, love these low noise pcp guns. Lost most of my hearing back in the Southeast Asia War games when I was a youngster. It wasn't all the firefights and ambush patrols … it was when the track I was on detonated a 500 lb mine. It busted almost every capillary in my body and I was bleeding out of every orifice I had … eyes, ears, nose, throat, butt … heck it took 2 month to get the whites of my eyes back, talk about red eye!!! Then I had the itch to do a lot of NRA competitive shooting in my 30s and that didn't help the ears either so I stopped shooting for about 30 years, bought myself a pair of $10,000 hearing aids and tried to not do any more damage to my ears … people start to look at you strangely when you are continually asking What? What? What? or breaking into a conversation because you don't know anybody else is talking … anyway, I thought my shooting days were over until I started learning about pcp guns and decided to try it out and have never looked back since. Got myself a Marauder in .22 and one in .25 and a FX Impact in .25 and a Wildcat in .25 and my Matador in .25 … guess the next and probably the last one will be a RAW in .25

I've broke this gun down to about the place where they advise you not break it down any further and from what I have seen it is the most simple design possible. There was a fairly good amount of grease inside the barrel, but the rest of the gun was relatively clean. Just put a light coat of Ballistol on it and it should be good for awhile.

Stay Chilly

John

JU, the max is 300bar, however Brian sais that the gun is goofy,(my word) at those pressures. And I agree with your statement about Russia.

The r5m is an awesome gun! I just wanted to correct something though. I think you may have misheard Brian. You 100% can fill the gun to 300 bar. Nothing goofy will happen ;). Like any 300 bar gun however... that’s a ton of pressure, and can (not always will) plow through o-rings faster. I think that’s what Brian was referencing.

O-ring manufacturing isn’t exactly leading from the front on quality control. Those things can fail in a week or 4 years 🤷‍♂️

I’ve been filling mine to 250bar, but that’s mostly due to the tank usually only have a few fills at 270 and above.

There are some guns where you can fill to 300 bar, but are really inefficient with air for that first 50 or so... that’s not the case with the R5M.

Enjoy the new gun... it’s awesome!

cheers

tim

The gun is capable to be filed up to 300 bar, but in fact there is not need to do it. First - the air consumption over 220-240 bar is too high. The second -- even if the tank has 300 bar pressure you can fill from it jjust one time. The third -- yes, the strength to the O-rings is more when you fill it up to 300. The first reason is enough for me, personally, to feel it up to 240.

Yes sir, it's the one kdog had for sale/trade in the classifieds. I believe he had adjusted the trigger (it's very nice, ~1lb & crisp) but otherwise stock. I've been shooting it with 34 grainers so far. Hope to get some chrony strings with both 34 & 25 grain pellets in the next week or so, will also shoot both for groups to see what it prefers. The 34 grainers have done well so far. Will measure the total length when I get home tonight. Will be hunting squirrel/rabbit/grouse with it. 25 grains will be plenty for those but probably going to stick with the 34 in case something larger (coyote) presents a good head shot.

BTW that's a great looking dog, bet she's the best hunting companion a guy could ask for. Hope the Edgun becomes a trusted companion as well, have a feeling it will for both of us.

chohan, those Regal XLs are something else. Have one in .177 that is a tack driver. They're very efficient & hand pump friendly. Had the regulated version in .22 as well, it was also very accurate but it was part of the trade package for the R5. Looking hard into a compressor now, the Edgun is awesome but .25s are thirsty girls.

The gun is capable to be filed up to 300 bar, but in fact there is not need to do it. First - the air consumption over 220-240 bar is too high. The second -- even if the tank has 300 bar pressure you can fill from it jjust one time. The third -- yes, the strength to the O-rings is more when you fill it up to 300. The first reason is enough for me, personally, to feel it up to 240.

Thank you for the explanation, it's great to get such information straight from the best source possible. Have been filling to 250 so far & think I'll keep that as the upper limit, shot count is still right at 50 from 250-120.