EDGun R5M cocking/indexing?

I had a .25 cal R5M for about six months. I really tried to like it ,but the cocking effort didn't get any better over the months. Also had the plastic magazine jump completely out of the breech onto the ground several times while cocking/indexing the mag? Would have really sucked if I was standing in the dirt or mud at the time?

I would set it beside my Colibri and cock the R5M, then cock the Colibri. My Colibri cocks smooth as butter and way faster. The R5M cocks like it had rust and sand in the gears compared to the Colibri. Plus the Colibri was just as accurate if not more so in .22 cal.

The triggers on my Cricket and Colibri were better too!

Later down the road I tried a .25 cal single shot R5 Edgun. I liked it way better than the first one, but sold it for some horse trading to get in the position for my latest two FX rifles and although they are older generation, they are light years better suited for me than the newer Eddys were.

Yeah, maybe I am worthless and weak and don’t know how to cock the gun even though I’ve owned two R5M’s ;( Do you think it’s even possible that the R5M I had, and others that have been reported, didn’t function well? I mean, just a tiny chance that the R5M isn’t perfect? 
I was very hesitant to post this for this very reason. I was pretty sure that all the Eddy R5M fanboys would jump on this like white on rice... ;) PS., I can’t find where I said it was hard to cock. Somebody help me out here?

Honestly I haven’t found a perfect gun yet. I know everyone has produced a lemon. I honestly do like the spring loaded mags because I feel they have less indexing issues. I’ve only had the cocking handle spring break on my r5m, but I’m trying an Uragan soon. So maybe the r5m might be replaced as my go to gun. I wonder if the pin that goes through #12 to index the mag could be smaller in diameter so it didn’t rotate as far?

Well ain’t this a fine bunch of info. for a guy that had my mind pretty set on an R5M, looked briefly at others, raking my brain, but was going to wait for what “ I though was the one I really wanted”. Now it’s back to researching others again. Thanks for the info. guys, I do like to hear the truth and what people that have real world ( not sponsored) experience with these guns have to say. Confused again, but at least it was before I put the money out. Seems like every damn time I get set on “ the one”, I find so many guys having problems with them. These things ain’t cheap money wise, but they sure seem to be built “ cheap”. 

To be fair this gun is nearly a perfect fit for my needs. Were it to easily handle 34gr pellets and index reliably It would be a dream gun for me. I love the cocking and find it easy and intuitive. I can cock strong or weak side. So its not just lefty capable, it's full time ambidextrous. Good for a family divided. I love the position of the charging handle being forward. It's robust, smooth and has a nice trigger imo. Nice furniture, the list goes on. If it weren't so close to exactly what I want it wouldn't be worth trying to sort out. 

I have two Edgun in .22. The only problem is that the 18 grain need to be pushed in a little further. If the skirts stick out too far, they can cause the magazine to pop out. Th head has to be pushed beyond the rubber band that holds them in. The 25grains RD's go in without a this problem because they are longer. 

I hope this can help someone with indexing issues. 

I have a 0.25 and in the past I had a mag feeding problem too. Sometimes it was hard to pull the handle back or push the handle forward. If the forward movement was hard then the shot was usually a flyer.

To fix the rearward movement ,I wasn't inserting the pellets deep enough into the magazine. To make it easier to do consistently I made this 3d pellet seater.

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/loading-edgun-magazines/

For the forward movement I noticed that some of my mags had worn o-rings that had cracks in them. After replacing the o-rings I didn't have any more problems with the forward movement and flyers.

I made enough time to test run the new mag once through tonight and had a perfect run. I plan to do some shooting as soon as I can get to it to see if that means anything, or I just had a lucky streak 9 shots long. fingers crossed. I also located a good variety of shim stock to try next should I need to.

Which mags did you get? I have heard good things about the eagle vision mags. I do have one out of my three mags that indexes okay after the first initial shot, my other 2 are flawless. I might try a couple eagle vision mags eventually. 

No R5M here. Here's the reason I never bought one:

I've had multiple R3Ms, and most had "glitchy" mag feeds on them. I got to the point where I'd push the bolt forward easily, as not to jam up. I also paid close attention to the feel of a pellet loading; so as not to miss a hunting shot due to an empty chamber. Now, I am NOT gifted with a mechanical mind, and have found myself previously at the mercy of dealers that "may" or "may not" service your gun.

When I bought my first Taipan, the Eddie's were history. I also have since found a couple kind mechanical wizards out there willing to help me enjoy my favorite hobby, regardless of my ineptness.

Terry

I made enough time to test run the new mag once through tonight and had a perfect run. I plan to do some shooting as soon as I can get to it to see if that means anything, or I just had a lucky streak 9 shots long. fingers crossed. I also located a good variety of shim stock to try next should I need to.

Which mags did you get? I have heard good things about the eagle vision mags. I do have one out of my three mags that indexes okay after the first initial shot, my other 2 are flawless. I might try a couple eagle vision mags eventually. I got a factory magazine made for the r3m. I had not seen these nice metal ones. Thanks, I'll look further into those.

I am new around here but NOT new to AIR RIFLES, Just got back into them and recently purchased the new FX IMPACT MKII in .22 and love it, in the past i have owned the FX ROYALE 400,The DAYSTATE MK3, A Benjamin Marauder along with a bunch of springers, all were in .22 caliber......I remember when THE YELLOW was around, don't know if that forum still exist. My next PCP will be in .25 caliber as i plan an iguana hunt down to my native island of Puerto Rico in 2020 and want to bring it along for the hunt. I have been staring NON STOP at EDGUNWEST SITE for about a week wanting the R5M in .25 caliber of course, i am glad i have been reading thru this thread so that i can make a wise decision, i have NEVER had any issues with an FX or Daystate rifle. Is this indexing problem with the LELYA as well? I do like the FX WILDCAT but hate that the .25 cal comes with the 700mm barrel which to me no longer makes it a TRUE BULLPUP. The search continues.

I got a chance to empty my last 10 mags worth of kings out through the new mag. They worked a treat. No glitchy behavior. It also indexed the mkII heavies. Of course it still requires extra force to smash the heavies into the tight chamber. I fear that dooms them for accuracy, but the point is yea for the new magazine. The only noticeable difference between new and old mags is that there is decidedly more force in the new magazine's spring. We will see if that remains true. I wish I could measure the springs force now and later. I also wonder if the factory mags I got with the gun have bad springs. The cocking lever springs were bad from the factory and I think it's possible more than one type of spring suffered the same issue. They started out new working well, but about the time the first lever spring broke I started having the index issue. I have one of those metal magazines coming to try out also. I can't wait to check it out.

Although my gun that has indexing issues isn’t an Ed all my edguns are single shots, I have a brocock concept lite that seems to hate the sixth shot. So i shoot 5. My other 2 gun are taipan vets no issues indexing even after one bounced across the floor, but I only shoot ss. It’s a hold over from my youth single shot is all I owned for long time or did in comp. I for the life of me can’t get the 6th shot on the brocock to work right it seems to over spin it appears a timing issue. Any way it doesn’t matter what is produced there will always be a turd the makes it through weather FX Ed or any other brand. And if the Ed’s had a as ability I would have got one over the taipan but it’s because I love the looks of them.

I had major indexing issues with my early production .25 R3M, but that was because Ed used the .22 indexing cam plate in the first batch of .25 R3Ms, and cam plate for the 10 shot .22 magazine didn't rotate the 9 shot .25 magazine enough to fully index the magazine. I TIG welded up the tip of the indexing cam plate and stoned it back down to the required dimensions so it provided that needed extra rotation and it then indexed perfectly after that for thousands and thousands of pellets.

My .25 R5M indexes just fine with both the 25.4 and 34gr JSBs, but when I installed the Huma power plenum kit and turned the gun up from shooting the 25.4 JSB's at 48 ft/lb to shooting the JSB 34's at 62 ft/lb the bolt started popping slightly open during a shot and giving me a puff of air to the face. I had to add a second spring to the latch mechanism on the front cocking trolley to put more pressure on the latch and hold the bolt closed consistently at 62 ft/lb... after that, no more problems with the bolt popping open for thousands of pellets.

I still really like my R5M... it shoots great and is reliable, and like all Edguns they're very user friendly to work on. Sure, the cocking effort could be lighter and smoother (especially since I increased the HST for the 34s) but that's a drawback of the ambi straight pull design of the R5M-- while it allows for an ambidextrous rifle with no modifications or reconfiguring, the straight pull action doesn't provide any extra mechanical advantage to lighten and smooth the cocking effort like a pivoting sidelever action on say an FX Crown.