🦇 EDgun R5M and THE BAT 🦇

I just received my EDgun Bat moderator yesterday for my R5M Standard in .25cal and took some quick pics. All I hear is the hammer slapping the valve now. I tried firing it at an angle with the moderator at the side far from my face holding the gun away from me. I need another person to shoot it from a distance for a better comparison between the Standard moderator and the new Bat moderator.

Before:

After:

If anyone is wondering what the hell is a Bat, it is the symbol used for Ed's Spetsnaz unit in the Russian military's special forces.

The length for the R5M Standard moderator is 4.25 inches/107.95mm. The Bat comes in at 6.25 inches/158.75mm. So it's 2 inches/50.8mm longer than the Standard moderator. For some reason, after doing some research on the Bat, I thought it was 2.6 inches/66.04mm. 

There's still some more testing to be done. I wish I had an accurate decibel meter besides the one on my phone. I ordered the Bat moderator on 9/8/19 and I guess there was a backlog. I did get an email from Brian at EDgun West in late October informing me of the status of my order without having to ask.

👍🏼

The Bat components, outer housing and core, are all made of aluminum and is priced at $150.00. I like the fact that the manufacturer actually makes their own aftermarket moderators which is effective. 

Front view of the Bat core insert:

Backside of the core:

Sideview:

Comparison in height of the Bat and R5M Standard moderator:

...and just showing off:

Thanks for taking a look. 🦇

Aloha Peskadot671,

I received my bat from Brian on Monday and tried comparing it from the stock moderator and it does sound much quieter. I also compared it to the moderator adapter that Brian sells so that you can attach any 1/2 by 20 threaded moderator, I use a DonnlyFl Ronin for my R5M, a Huggett mini Magna for my Lelya 2.0. 
The R5M is shooting jsb mk2 heavies at 880-890fps. 
The Lelya is shooting jsb king at 900-910fps.

Here’s what I got with my decibel meter.

stock moderator-R5M...92db.

stock moderator-Lelya...90db.

Ronin-R5M...81db.

Huggett-Lelya...83db.

Bat-R5M...84db

Bat-Lelya...85db.

all measured 10 feet directly in front of the barrel, 4 feet off of the ground. 
My conclusion is that it does quite the gun down from stock. If you need to be back yard friendly the bat system does work without adding a lot of weight to the front.

Aloha, Keone

Reactions: Peskådot671
Aloha Peskadot671,

I received my bat from Brian on Monday and tried comparing it from the stock moderator and it does sound much quieter. I also compared it to the moderator adapter that Brian sells so that you can attach any 1/2 by 20 threaded moderator, I use a DonnlyFl Ronin for my R5M, a Huggett mini Magna for my Lelya 2.0. 
The R5M is shooting jsb mk2 heavies at 880-890fps. 
The Lelya is shooting jsb king at 900-910fps.

Here’s what I got with my decibel meter.

stock moderator-R5M...92db.

stock moderator-Lelya...90db.

Ronin-R5M...81db.

Huggett-Lelya...83db.

Bat-R5M...84db

Bat-Lelya...85db.

all measured 10 feet directly in front of the barrel, 4 feet off of the ground. 
My conclusion is that it does quite the gun down from stock. If you need to be back yard friendly the bat system does work without adding a lot of weight to the front.

Aloha, Keone

Aloha Kaeokini and mahalo for your test results. That is some good low decibel numbers. Looks like the Ronin is a winner and it's the same size as the Bat. I have several DonnyFL moderators but never attached them to my R5M. What I do like about the Bat moderator is that it's made specifically for the R5M Long, Standard and Lelya. It gives it a streamlined look like it's a one piece moderator without using the 1/2" x 20 TPI adapter which gives it a stepped look below the moderator line because of the offset factory moderator and barrel combination. It's more of an aesthetics thing for me personally. I guess if you want extreme decibel reduction, the Ronin is the way to go. BTW, what R5M do you have? Standard or Long? Those are some good fps numbers with the JSB Heavies. 

+1 to you sir!

Excellent information!

I did a bit of searching to understand the differences in db levels.

This is what I found:

What is a decibel? Zero decibels (0 dB) is the quietest sound audible to a healthy human ear. From there, every increase of 3 dB represents a doubling of sound intensity, or acoustic power.

Yeah, wrapping your head around dB and sound is a bit of a trick, as it is a logarithmic scale. Were you to be put in an anecohic chamber with anything close to a 0dB sound level, you'd actually start to vividly hallucinate because (apparently) the human mind can't process the absence of sound. Fun stuff. 

The other thing about capturing the peaks off these moderators is that very very few sound meters can do it. Even the meter AEAC uses isn't actually fast enough. So what you end up doing is comparing, not the peak (highlighted in purple), but some average of the post-peak-sound (highlighted in teal).

1575554702_14713112435de90e8ec7fde0.23531097_cell phone measure.png

This probably unfairly disadvantages the Edgun Bat design, as it is purely an air-handling design, it has no sound damping. The blast baffle symmetrically strips air, and then the subsequent baffles use cross-flow to drive air up and over to the offset side of the shroud. The design is almost identical to the Silencerco Osprey actually, which is a reasonably effective and very popular firearm suppressor. (the stuff on the left hand side of the Osprey is a recoil booster to help a browning tilting action pistol cycle with the extra muzzle weight of the suppressor, it isn't meant to improve suppression) 

1575555018_16539039855de90fca1e10e6.97787742_5fa7c1a84e4e39c07fcbd8099fba7d71.jpg

Either way, good report and GREAT photography! You really make the Edgun look fantastic. :D

Reactions: Peskådot671
Protip - use a second 33x2 o-ring at the rear of the Bat baffle to remove some of the high pitch harmonic "twang".

Thanks. Does the o-ring sit around the barrel nut?

It goes flush inside the 33mm inside diameter where the baffle is inserted. Just make sure you seat it completely flush, or the baffle wont seat right.

1575598967_6945402635de9bb77032356.53666964_61203273-3FC5-42FD-95FC-322FB96BB869.jpeg

Protip - use a second 33x2 o-ring at the rear of the Bat baffle to remove some of the high pitch harmonic "twang".

Thanks. Does the o-ring sit around the barrel nut?

It goes flush inside the 33mm inside diameter where the baffle is inserted. Just make sure you seat it completely flush, or the baffle wont seat right.

Thanks! I'll try it out. Now I need to get an assortment of o-rings in different sizes.

EDIT: Thanks for the pic you added.

Aloha Peskadot671,

I have the R5M long version. My reg is set at 120 bar, it’s a Huma I got from Brian at Edgun west. My HS was tuned by backing it down then increasing it until I achieved the right speeds I wanted. I really like the bat system because it’s not as heavy as with the Ronin. As for the sound, when I shoot the R5M long I really have a hard time telling the difference between the bat and the Ronin but that’s with my ears. What I do like is what you said about it being streamlined, the Ronin does sit offset a little. 

Aloha, Keone

Aloha Peskadot671,

I have the R5M long version. My reg is set at 120 bar, it’s a Huma I got from Brian at Edgun west. My HS was tuned by backing it down then increasing it until I achieved the right speeds I wanted. I really like the bat system because it’s not as heavy as with the Ronin. As for the sound, when I shoot the R5M long I really have a hard time telling the difference between the bat and the Ronin but that’s with my ears. What I do like is what you said about it being streamlined, the Ronin does sit offset a little. 

Aloha, Keone

I figured you had the Long version for those speeds. I just ran my gun through the chrony today and noticed that my shot string FPS is inconsistent. I might need to rebuild the factory regulator and get some new o-rings. I'm also going to get a Huma power reg for it later to mess with some JSB Heavies.