• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun R5 or FX Wildcat mk2

Or, you could buy the Wildcat MK2 and have enough left over compared to the Edgun to buy a really high quality scope. I don’t think one is more accurate than the other. The Edgun is and can be made to shoot considerably more power than the WC. But small game don’t know the difference between 47 and 55 fpe when hit. 

I am envious of the design engineers eye that Ed gun brings to the table. Like a fine minimalist function of timeless architecture. Don't get me wrong the WC is like a BMW, prized award winning craft, but not quite evoking the quality feel of the superbly thought out implement Ed creates. His gun will be collected and prized much like a Parker, H &H, etc.
Ooop sorry, got off track . Wait for the R5m order it now. 

Always admired everything EDgun. Finally bought one, I got the R5 long version, worth every penny imo. I don’t mind single shot, suits my shooting style perfectly, but wouldn’t have minded the side lever multi shot version at all. Very solid gun, built like a tank, seems like it is built to last. I’m getting 87fpe with the 44 gr JSB. With that being said, I always liked the WC too, almost bought one a couple of times, but never followed through. That MKII sure looks like a winner! Does the WC come in .30? I think the R5m will be .25 if I’m not mistaken?

First off what caliber do you want only Edgun is available in 30 caliber that’s the R5 which is still available it’s a single shot. Overall a 30 caliber will probably be more accurate at longer distances. The Edgun R5m will be available in the next month or so it will be in the other calibers but not 30 caliber. The mid mounted cocking lever is on both side of gun for convenience. If you like working on your own guns Edguns are less complicated to FX for do it yourself. I have both brands and like both. I have a 30 caliber R5 Long on order hopefully I’ll have one soon. If you like mounting your scope on a Picatinny rail that’s an over a $100 option on FX. The Edgun has a 20moa rail which means you probably won’t need to buy adjustable rings if you like to shoot longer distances. Overall both guns would be great to have and I’m not crossing the MK2 off my list I just like the Edgun better.
one thing I like about the Russian guns is that Eduard the company owner builds the guns to last, he knows that in Russia parts are hard to get and most people who are into guns need to be able to fix them with what they have or can make themselves. 
There is a slight savings in initial cost on the MK2 in walnut it’s $1499 then if wanted the pic rail($120) and adjustable scope rail (extra $50) over standard the amount saved is a bit over $200 for the Edgun. You could save a few hundred more by getting the synthetic mkll but that’s not apples to apples. 
I also think that the R5 in a higher category than the wildcat. I also know with my Edguns when ever I have a problem Brian at Edgun West is unsurpassed in the support he freely gives just look at his YouTube videos 

I debated between the Crown and Matador R5. Ultimately bought the R5 standard and very happy. First PCP that I felt comfortable taking apart and first gun to swap out a regulator for a Huma reg. Super simple design and built like a tank. Very easy to take apart and tweak the HST and regulator to your liking. I was also interested in a .30 caliber and the R5 standard was the most compact .30 I could buy. I like single shot loading in a .30 version for the type of hunting I do. I have yet to need a follow up shot on any targets as this gun just hammers them so hard and is very accurate. Plus like others have said, Brian from EDgun West has been superb in being accessible and answering the multitude of questions I had before and after purchasing the gun from him. R5 all the way while you still can. 

My opinion on this is as follows.

Im having a hard time Jumping ship from the FX Wildcat with the real Smooth Twist barrel ( not the barrel liner)
After seeing one go under 1/2 inch at 75 yards over 16 shots, with my own two eyes. Making one ragged little hole, it did. This was off sand bags with a .22 caliber no less, using 15.89 grain JSBS with an muzzle velocity of 955-960 fps. I don't see it getting any better than that from any airgun, but you can find a bunch of guns that will do worse. A lot worse.

Love the Edgun, but, That, for me, was compelling.

Even though, I believe FX guns should be better built.
I had a problem with mine and had to fix after only one year.
From an accuracy standpoint, its almost worth it to maintain it here and there.
Ive already resolved to the fact that things can go wrong. I was pissed about it , and of course I cussed FX guns.
But , hey. The damn thing is aspirin accurate at 75. I can work with that.

The EDgun. Nothing will probably defect itself in a year. Really nice build quality. But it doesn't have a Smooth Twist barrel, and im believer in that barrel after what I saw.