• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun R5 Huma reg problem

Hi Wimpy,

I don't have experience with Edguns or the power upgrade you mention, but I am becoming familiar with the HUMA regulator. I recently installed one in my FX Royale. I have found that the regulator adjuster is VERY easy to to turn inadvertently. While unscrewing the screw in the end (not even sure if yours has one of these) I found that I had backed the regulator adjuster FAR outside the normal range and I'm currently getting what seems to be a fairly UNregulated string . (Yes, it's really that easy to turn!)

I been in contact with Huub and now have a better idea of how many turns out (after screwing it all the way in) will get me back in the ball park but I have not had time to do this yet.

1525306626_14974287495aea55029b0c06.56987448_20180414_171302.jpg

Hello Wimpy,

It sounds like you shoot unregulated, what means the setscrew has been turned open too much and the reg is set to high in pressure
As rule of the tumb you can measure the lengh of the regbody + setscrew (without plenum and restrictor screw) and this is on the average between 36,4 mm long.
somewhere near this size you should be on scale again.

you can try this first and then adjust the reg in small steps of about 1/4 turn each time

Succes

Wimpy, Mcoulter, et al.,
I read this string last night and out of curiosity sent Huub an email with a question about that screw in the top of the reg which I have never seen before... so here is my question and his answer. Hope my question and Huubs answer helps. 

Hi Huub, It seems some guys are buying Huma regulators from somewhere or someone and it comes with a screw in the top of the brass adjustment...what in the world is the purpose of this? Is this how a Huma regulator is supposed to be used? I thought the 3mm screw was to be used for pulling the Huma out of the air tube...not to put in the top like that! Can you educate me on this? These guys are putting your regulator in their rifles with the 3mm screw in the top and having a lot of problems...https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/edgun-r5-huma-reg-problem/Best regards, Chuck

Hi Chuck,
The M3 is a restrictor screw what let the reg fill slowly and prevents it from comming dirt in it.
Some have a allen bolt in it, but most a tiny m3 grubscrew. The allen bold we use with rifles with long pressure tubes without endcap, like the marauder, otherwise you have to strip the whole rifle to get the reg out and now you can make a fishing wire to the bolt an pull it out 
We experienced more consitent shooting behavior with the screw inside, but some guys swear it does not matter.
I prefer to use with
All the best
Team Huma-Air
Huub

UPDATE TO MY PREVIOUS POST ABOVE RE: RESTRICTER SCREWThanks Huub! I learned something about your regs I didn't know before...so let me ask you this question about how to set the M3 restricter screw. Should it be turned all the way down to the bottom of the hole in the brass adjustment screw? Or somewhere in between? Inquiring minds want to know... 
1f62c
All the best, Chuck Hi Chuck
We screw it in untill the bottom and then 1 or 2 turns loose will be fine.
When you unscrew it it, the reg might be bit quicker. Accuracy won’t probably not change noticeable, we can only see it in the test rig were we test with 0,1 bar precision.
Some pressure tubes are not very clean inside, and the M3 makes sure no dirt can come into the moving parts of the reg.
There is a description also in the rebuild manual of the reg about the restrictor screw
All the best
Team Huma-AiR
Huub

Just a quick note for anyone looking for GENERAL information about HUMA regulators. The need for the m3 screw varies from gun-to-gun. I was able to confirm with Huub that the FX Royale does not need the m3 left in the regulator. In fact, there's not room for it. But other FX rifles (sorry I can't say which ones) DO need it!

So...

When in doubt read the installation instructions and/or contact HUMA for clarification :)

I agree with @mcoulter on his comments about the set screw. On regulators that fit inside the action of the gun, like the FX Royale/Boss/Bobcat, the screw can't be used even if you wanted to, since there isn't enough clearance. In this case the screw is best used for removing and inserting the regulator without affecting the reg pressure adjustment. 

​There have been a few posts that state the loose-ness of the pressure reg set screw, and it easily moving when installing or even after installed. On the first Huma I received for my .30 FX Bobcat Mk2, I had that issue. I've come up with an easy, quick and simple fix for this problem and will add a separate post that describes and shows what I did to tighten up this loose set screw "problem". I think if you can turn the pressure adjust set screw with your fingers then its probably too loose and susceptable to drifting...

​More to follow as I said on a separate post in Other Parts, Accessories, & Equipment section.