• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun R3M vs FX Impact

I have a newer model Edgun with the offset mod in .25. The gun performs as I would like, accurate, air efficient and quiet. Unfortunately, all the posts and videos on the Impact is making me want to try one. Other than adjusting the velocity to 880-890fps with 25gr JSBs like I did on my Edgun, I don't think I would do any more adjusting on the Impact.

Would there be any benefit in going from the Edgun to the Impact?

BTW, I would have to sell or trade + cash the Edgun, having both is not an option :-(

I have both and I think I made a mistake that I bought Impact ... Edgun is like AK-47 (simple, customizable, accurate and invulnerable) On the other hand Impact has too many mistakes and complaints (I have it for a year and already have it twice Sent to service)
Impact as an idea is perfectly conceived but in practice Edgun is a better choice.

"Eaglehorn"It depends what you're looking for in a gun. What has the majority of your shooting been at? Paper, squirrels, etc. & at what range? Are you going to be switching calibers if you go with the impact?
Pesting and some plinking just for practice and to insure POA & POI. I just don't see myself swtching calibers, I would just buy a rifle in a different caliber, which I have I have a regged Marauder in .177. 

A plus for the Edgun is it shoots Predators pretty good, something I can't say for all the ST barreled guns I have owned.

A plus for the Impact is I am thinking of getting one of those sub $400 compressors off ebay for filling the guns directly and the larger tank on the Impact would be slightly better for that type of filling than the tube on the Edgun

Here are my thoughts. The R3M has been proven to be a more reliable gun than the impact, and its barrel seems to be better than smooth twist at closer ranges. (I'm only stating this since a couple of big channels have listed other guns with traditional rifling as their best 25m gun, despite owning impacts or another FX gun.) If you're not going to be pushing 75+ yards regularly, the impact isn't going to be much more accurate. Does it still have some attractive features? Yes. However, It all comes down to your individual needs for what the gun will need to do.

If you need multiple bottles, prefer a bullpup's compactness, may need to switch calibers for different game, and take 150-yard shots, then the impact is hard to beat. If you rarely venture beyond 75 yards, have never emptied your reservoir on a hunt, don't see your routine changing up (e.g. switching calibers), and your gun hits the bullseye, I don't see a reason to get rid of the R3M from a practical standpoint.

The reason I chose not to buy one was because I wanted something to build on, that I would only take apart when I was improving something, not fixing it. I wanted to get something with a theme that stops the shot clock of everyday life and gets people interested in the sport. Any well-tuned PCP can do this, but I chose to buy and modify a Marauder because it shows that even entry-level guns can compete with the best when time, money, and heart are put into them.

Can you link one of the compressors you're talking about? All the one's I've seen go for at least a few thousand.

Reactions: plinker
"Eaglehorn"If you're not going to be pushing 75+ yards regularly, the impact isn't going to be much more accurate. 

This is 5 shoots group at 104 meters or 113 yards with my R3M .25 cal standard version ( JSB Kings 25 grain at 900 fps)
I want to say that Edgun is equal with accuracy even better than my Impact at all ranges

769563a91f3f581a3f0e5512eb35e414.jpg

"reeleone"
"Eaglehorn"If you're not going to be pushing 75+ yards regularly, the impact isn't going to be much more accurate. 

This is 5 shoots group at 104 meters or 113 yards with my R3M .25 cal standard version ( JSB Kings 25 grain at 900 fps)
I want to say that Edgun is equal with accuracy even better than my Impact at all ranges

769563a91f3f581a3f0e5512eb35e414.jpg

Let me clarify what I meant. I'm not trying to say that one or the other is more accurate (I don't want to turn this into another "which barrel is best barrel?" thread). I'm saying that the impact's smooth twist is more attractive for shooting at longer ranges (OVERALL) because it tends to expel lead vs. it gathering in the barrel. A Lothar Walther will be just as, if not more, accurate than a smooth twist at any range. HOWEVER, that minimal fowling makes the impact go MUCH longer than a gun with traditional rifling. In that sense, a shooter can be accurate longer, which is why people shooting "regularly" at long ranges may find the impact attractive.

Imagine owning a sports car that can travel long distances, but needs to be serviced after a few hundred trips vs. a sports car that can travel long distances and can on 1000 trips without skipping a beat. Both are the same in getting to their destination, but the latter may be necessary for someone who "drives" those distances regularly. This only really applies to people who get tired of cleaning their equipment, though.

Tim