• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun or Vulcan?

The Vulcan has a Biathlon style cocking hammer. You get the advantage of leverage when cocking. The Edgun R5M has a straight pull-back cocking mechanism. Since you are compressing springs in this process, plus rotating the magazine, one shooter might not care, another shooter might favor the longer lever. It's a matter of taste and pocketbook.

Quality wise, I, personally, have owned both Edguns and a Vulcan. I favored the Vulcan .25, design-wise, I liked the cocking handle and the stock configuration. Both are certified tack-drivers...you can't go wrong with either gun, both have held up under heavy use. To me it's a simple matter of taste.

Materialwise and re make and feel I would say Edgun had the edge. I have experience witg both Edgun and Vulcan plus Kalibrgun cricket all in .25 caliber and in accurracy these are a draw so in the end I would personal taste for the gun count a lot. The “ love and care” for your gun determins I think how many tmes h and with how much pleasure you will shoot with the gun . This shooting frequently determins how you “feel one with the gun” and that is the what you need to get the best out of your hobby. For me currently it is definately Edgun. The stock wood quality , accurracy and workmanship are just that what makes me want to shoot over and over again a few pellets ( or more) ...

but again you can’t go wrong with a nice exemplar of the Vulcan either I am sure. Good luck with your decision !

I had an original Vulcan .22 cal carbine. The fit and finish was pretty decent, not as nice as my Daystate or FX rifles. That said, that rifle was THE most accurate 100 yard Airgun I have ever shot. Honest to goodness sub 1” groups at 100 yards were normal. I got rid of it a while back to try something new. A few months back I got the itch for a .25 bull pup and was torn between a R5M and Vulcan. I shot both and did lots of thinking and reading. Ended up ordering a .25 Vulcan. My reasons were: 

Vulcan cocking was much, much nicer. The Edgun is straight pull and I just didn’t like it. 

Vulcan wears a CZ barrel, Edgun wears a LW. Both great but based on my past experiences, I really like the CZ and have had excellent luck with the CZ tubes

Vulcan trigger was better. My buddy and I spent hours doing everything we could to tune his R5M’s trigger. It was a good field trigger but no where near the trigger on my Taipan Vet, or my old Vulcan. 

We will see if I made the right choice. Both are nice and both are winning choices. Shoot each if you can! The biggest thing was the cocking. I wish Ed would have incorporated a true mechanical advantage cocking lever and some something from the factory to get rid of that annoying ping sound. 

I had an original Vulcan .22 cal carbine. The fit and finish was pretty decent, not as nice as my Daystate or FX rifles. That said, that rifle was THE most accurate 100 yard Airgun I have ever shot. Honest to goodness sub 1” groups at 100 yards were normal. I got rid of it a while back to try something new. Recently I got the itch for a .25 bull pup and was torn between a R5M and Vulcan. I shot both and did lots of thinking and reading. Ended up ordering a .25 Vulcan. My reasons were: 

Vulcan cocking was much, much nicer. The Edgun is straight pull and I just didn’t like it. 

Vulcan wears a CZ barrel, Edgun wears a LW. Both great but based on my past experiences, I really like the CZ and have had excellent luck with the CZ tubes

Vulcan trigger was better. My buddy and I spent hours doing everything we could to tune his R5M’s trigger. It was a good field trigger but no where near the trigger on my Taipan Vet, or my old Vulcan. 

We will see if I made the right choice. Both are nice and both are winning choices. Shoot each if you can! The biggest thing was the cocking. I wish Ed would have incorporated a true mechanical advantage cocking lever and some something from the factory to get rid of that annoying ping sound.

I know the Taipan in .22 uses CZ barrel but in .25 is LW, are you saying the Vulcan in .25 is CZ? I’ll like to try that. Me personally I like how the Vulcan tactics looks. 

If you have to compare based on easy to work? I heard the Edguns are really easy, how is this with the Vulcans? 

I have both the Vulcan and the Vulcan2, one's in .22 and the other is in .25. BOTH shoot 1/2" at 50 yards or better. Both of mine I have the triggers down to 4oz with a nice 1st stage pull, triggers are very easy to adjust. My .25 which is the Vulcan2 shot a 10 shot group at 50 yards the measured .320". Both guns are super easy to work on. The Vulcan2 has had several improvements made to it and all were to the better. I also have a Cricket that I rarely shoot because I really love the side cocking lever, it's so much faster and smoother to operate. If I were to buy another PCP it' would be a Vulcan.

Hope this helps

Zonk

All I can say is AGT stands behind their Product 100%. Several months ago, I had a problem with my Regulator. I contacted AGT about my problem. I sent a picture of my regulator disassembled, and asked what part do they think I need for it to work properly. Two days later, I got a e-mail stating my parts were on the way. 10 days later a package arrived, when I opened it there were no parts. They sent me a whole new updated regulator FREE of charge!! And that wasn't the first time they sent me parts at no charge. WHO else does that??? Evengy believes in customer satisfaction.

Zonk

I would highly recommend the Vulcan from AGT. I have three of them: Vulcan1 Gen2 0.25cal, Vulcan1 Gen4 0.177cal, and Vulcan2 30cal. They have all been great reliable guns and the side cocking lever is a dream that offers great leverage. They are very accurate guns and shoulder nice with great balance. I received support from Evgeny at AGT as well and he shipped me updated parts for my Vulcan1 Gen2 0.25 after having it for two years at that point.

I also had an Edgun R5 30 but sold it. I didn't like the rear cocking bolt that was stiff and cumbersome to operate, especially when being shouldered. The Edguns are also a few hundred dollars more expensive too. Both Vulcan2 and Edgun R5 30 std are almost the same length at about 30".

I am just sharing my experiences with both that I had and everyone is entitled to their opinions.