• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun Matador R5M Long in the house

I've got some nice toys, but made a deal with wifey that I couldn't have a new gun w/o selling an old one. So I sold my nicely performing .25 Streamline and ordered an Edgun .177 to use for field target. Not sure what I'm thinking here, but it's done and arrived today.

1554940647_18630652515cae82e74cfe50.83849120_Matador R5M.jpg

My Impact .30 is down and off to the Impact doctor. I didn't want to ship an expensive scope too so I took the Helos off. I guess I'll get another one when the Impact returns, but for now the Edgun got nice glass and Vortex precision match rings.

First impressions:

It had a rough ride getting here. The styrafoam was really chewed up and had little bits of it all over the workings of the gun. Would have been nice if they'd put it in a bag before packing it up. Oh well, air compressor to the rescue. There's also a pretty good scuff on the tube that I'm hoping some gun oil will take care of.

That taken care of it was time to shoot it. Which way does the mag go? Darn, no instructions. Oh well, google to the rescue. Hmm, no instructions on the Matador R5M, but did find some on a leshy, so at least I got the mag in right.

Didn't really have time to setup a table and everything so I shot freehand into a trap @25yds. Hit it every time. Nice! I'll dial it in this weekend.

Fit and finish. Stock is a little rough here and there. Doesn't fit very tightly either, actually, it's moving quite a bit. Email off to edgunwest on this issue. The metal is quite nice. Action is kinda rough though...compared to the Impact anyway. Maybe some oil.

It's a tank. 10.6 lbs all up. But I'm a big guy so NBD.

I thought I'd ordered extra mags, ammo and some rings. No show. :( email on that too. Luckily I had a tin of JSB 10.34 Heavys or I'd have been slinging 7 grain pellets.

oh, and does anyone know what the lever is for that is at the top/back of the gun on the left side above the safety? Doesn't seem to do anything. Must be something...

Overall I like it. I'll probably refinish the stock or get a laminate one. Gotta deal with the looseness though right away.

Hi I got all ED-Guns he sells , The guns have bits of foam from shipping .they are packed well with no defects just blow out with air .

Ed-Gun does not make manuals for his guns . he used to now he puts a barcode on gun and you get a plastic one too with bar code scan it with a barcode scanner it will show you manual for gun up to date , Brian and Ed make all videos on doing anything to these guns . also with this one you wont have to send it to edgun dr like impact , they are very very simple to service

LOU

QR code. Duh. Shows my age, never occured to me. No plastic card in the box.

Thanks on the lever.

Shot it tonight at targets. Got out to 50yds before it stopped stacking pellets and I eventually ran out of daylight. I'm not sure it likes the JSB Match Diabolo 10.34gr. One shot will be dead nutz, the next off by half an inch. I'm thinking the pellet is destabilizing. At 25yds it's a ragged hole. No response yet from Brian on missing items or loose stock. hmmmm

The scope is too high for my tastes too. Darn, I ordered low ones, but no show.

I have had a few click-no-bang events too. Kinda weird. Maybe needs an adjustment somewhere. I'll have to dig into this.

Overall, meh. I think I got spoiled by guns that are good performers right out of the box w/o tinkering. I guess I expect tinkering with a $200 gun, but not with a nearly $2000 one.

My list of things to correct:

Poor/rough finish on the stock.

Click-no-bang

Fill port leaks like hell from one side, not from the other

Stock is loose, bolts are tight. Seems to be the little bushing under the trigger guard is too tall and not allowing the stock to be tight.

Poor accuracy at 50yds, likely not the right pellet for it, but the Edgun ones I paid for didn't arrive.

I'm taking it down to the field on Saturday, maybe others will have some pellets that I can try. I'm going to shoot the snot out of it anyway and see what's what.

Went to Cross, SC yesterday and had a great day. It rained like heck on my way down (3hr drive), but once I got there the skys cleared and it was a nice day. Arrived about 9:15 and shot till 5:30.

I shot 2 guns mostly. My recently tuned HW98 and the Edgun. More on the 98 later.

The Edgun started off having a bad day. Several FTF, finally I took it apart and tried to noodle out what could be causing it. Decided to try turning the control rod in since it appeared to be loose anyway. Maybe 2 turns in. Added an o-ring to the stock button and reassembled. No more wiggly stock and no more FTF w/ an extremely light trigger - just the way I like them.

Proceeded to pump 10.34 JSBs down it's throat. Found it to be very accurate at 25yds, but at 50 things started falling apart.

I've managed to missplace my crony and tripod and my buddies is all shot to heck. We did put it on there and it read 1004fps. We put the 98 on it too and it was all over so we suspect the crony isn't reading accurately. Anyway they all said that was too high for a .177 so I needed to turn it down some. One guy had a box of 10.5 Crossman pellets and let me try them.

The Edgun cleaned up pretty good at 50yds with the 10.5s. Thinking heavier was better, we tried some piledrivers. No joy. Back to the 10.5. I shot them. I shot them some more. And more. When the FT guy left he let us borrow his FT targets and I shot the snot out of those too. Managing 4 targets out of 4 shots with a little practice @ 30, 40, 50 & 55yds.

At 75 yds things fall apart again. I'm thinking I need a heavier pellet. So I've a cart full on Pyramid and going to give other pellets a try.

BTW, shot is all the way down to 78 bar and it seemed to still be 'on the reg' (didn't lose accuracy.) Impressive.

The stock still has rough spots and is still a mite loose w/ the o-ring in there, so I need to resolve that.

The fill port is behaving oddly for a PCP. I never had one fill so slowly. W/ the gauge on and the valve on the tank wide open I watch the gauge slowly go up. Like 30 seconds to fill. Never had a PCP behave this way before. Not a malfunction, just odd.

The Edgun had a pretty good day at the field. I'm going to try some heavier pellets and see if that helps at the longer ranges. 

Post an indept review of the R5M. There is very little out there. I dont know my Edgun does not give his gun to the top airgun review guys like everyone else. I want one but thats a lot of money to spend without getting a good feel for how it stacks up to the next comparable gun like the Impact. I am discouraged when I read about customers who ordered the gun but got it in poor conditi0on. However, the Impact has a lot of moving parts and that seems to be a lot that can go wrong. Being a lefty, I am leaning towards the R5M but a solid video review from an owner would help. Thanks

Post an indept review of the R5M. There is very little out there. I dont know my Edgun does not give his gun to the top airgun review guys like everyone else. I want one but thats a lot of money to spend without getting a good feel for how it stacks up to the next comparable gun like the Impact. I am discouraged when I read about customers who ordered the gun but got it in poor conditi0on. However, the Impact has a lot of moving parts and that seems to be a lot that can go wrong. Being a lefty, I am leaning towards the R5M but a solid video review from an owner would help. Thanks

I don't think that's gonna happen anytime soon. The same applies for the AGT Vulcan and Uragan, Taipan Veteran, Zbroia, and Kalibrgun Cricket. Although I have seen Steve from AEAC do an excellent review of the Kalibrgun Cricket, I believe it was his own personal gun.

Ed already made a previous statement that he's not into the whole sponsorship thing. That is why you will see more reviews from your favorite YouTube reviewers like Steve, Matt, Giles and Ted.

Your best exposure would be on the forums. Most forum members have or have gone through different brands and models who will give their unbiased opinion on each one.

I just got my second Edgun a month or so ago. My first one was a Lelya 2.0 which came out of the box flawless. My second was a R5M Long in .22. Only real problem was a puff of air in my face.

After a bunch of trail and error, I finally found the fix. I put a small thin rubber washer behind the breach o-ring. It was a $0.30 fix.

I think that the high pressures I was using was pushing the breach o-ring just back enough to let air excape out. This thin washer that I installed was just enough to keep the seal tight.

This is where Edgun shines- simplicity of design. If there is a problem, I am able to work through it-not ship it off and be dependent on someone else. I am now shooting 24g slugs at 945fps for 48fpe, with about an average 1.1-1.5" TEN shot groups. 

Now, the the puff of air in my face gone, and several other tweaks in mind, I have no doubt this will be a MOA or sub-MOA slug shooter at 100 yards. Ill have video soon to prove it.

I expect your R5M Long to like even heavier pellets. My .177 R5M STD is tuned at 29 FtLb right now. Mine shoots the 16.2 grain Beast at 933 on this tune😳 Micro HAMMER😉

I have shot the 10.34s at different speed on different tunes and feel at 880-890 they are in a sweet spot for stability.

I am willing to wager that gun will keep the 10.34 grainers above 880 with less than 75 BAR of regulator pressure and very little hammer spring tension. I predict it will excel with the 13 and 16 grain pellets but may be challenging to keep stable below 20 FtLb. 

Let us know.

I just got my second Edgun a month or so ago. My first one was a Lelya 2.0 which came out of the box flawless. My second was a R5M Long in .22. Only real problem was a puff of air in my face.

After a bunch of trail and error, I finally found the fix. I put a small thin rubber washer behind the breach o-ring. It was a $0.30 fix.

I think that the high pressures I was using was pushing the breach o-ring just back enough to let air excape out. This thin washer that I installed was just enough to keep the seal tight.

This is where Edgun shines- simplicity of design. If there is a problem, I am able to work through it-not ship it off and be dependent on someone else. I am now shooting 24g slugs at 945fps for 48fpe, with about an average 1.1-1.5" TEN shot groups. 

Now, the the puff of air in my face gone, and several other tweaks in mind, I have no doubt this will be a MOA or sub-MOA slug shooter at 100 yards. Ill have video soon to prove it.

48 FtLb .22 slug shooter... Freaking awesome👊🏻

I expect your R5M Long to like even heavier pellets. My .177 R5M STD is tuned at 29 FtLb right now. Mine shoots the 16.2 grain Beast at 933 on this tune😳 Micro HAMMER😉

I have shot the 10.34s at different speed on different tunes and feel at 880-890 they are in a sweet spot for stability.

I am willing to wager that gun will keep the 10.34 grainers above 880 with less than 75 BAR of regulator pressure and very little hammer spring tension. I predict it will excel with the 13 and 16 grain pellets but may be challenging to keep stable below 20 FtLb. 

Let us know.

I tried a bunch of pellets above the 10.5s all with poor results. The lighter 7.25s went supersonic and the crack is just not backyard friendly. The 10.65 did pretty good, but not as good as the 10.5s.

1556470709_15176195955cc5dbb5427841.98766679_IMG_20190428_125658.jpg