Edgun leyla 2.0 Lame....review

Review that is! This my lame review of the edgun leyla 2.0 .25.

I placed my order on Friday after talking to Brian at edgun west. Arrived on Wednesday, pellets were packaged securely and gun arrived with no blemishes or tool marks. Filled with air, no problems. I ordered a SWFA 3-15 ffp scope, but backordered until later this week. Mounted the hawke 3-12 vantage, meh, it works right? 12 shots to zero at 15-18 yards, aiming off my knees in a sitting position. It was a very hasty zero, but the leyla still provided nice groups if I did my part.
I then traveled a short distance down the river bed to a known area with lots of tree rats. I spotted a squirrel in a tree about 45 yards out. I missed, a little high. I corrected for my second shot and the 26gr polymag dropped him instantly. The polymags are quite devastating in .25, both in the leshiy and leyla. I feel the squirrels drop very fast, even a body shot, quicker than a regular diabolo pellet. The leyla is quick to reload, I tracked another squirrel seconds after I dropped the 1st one, I picked a spot on the main branch, leading into a moving shot and pulled the trigger. Squirrel number two in less than a minute. Good solid body shot and instantly down. 
So is the leyla 2.0 a good gun for me? I like to hunt, and prize accuracy and portability and durability very highly as well as ergonomics. The gun is solid, no chance of shifting barrel (barrel is housed in proprietary alloy for aircraft), I can set my pack down and not worry about anything shifting. The trigger is okay. As Brian explained it to me, it’s like a HK competition pistol vs a highly tuned 1911. My ataman M2r ultra and some fx and weihrauch air weapons I have superb triggers, so light and crisp, it makes taking a shot a breeze. The leyla has a nice first stage and vague second stage. Is it useable? Of course, for a hunting platform, it is very nice.I gave the trigger a 4 hour turn (clock face measurement, the trigger can be adjusted easily and does not require very much movement to achieve a 1.5 lb let off. Stock is about 2-3 lbs). It has a bark, my ataman M2r r in .22 with a donnyfl moderator and the hw44 pistol I have are very quiet. I bought the bat wing edgun extended moderator and it helps, but the leyla in .25 is a little louder than my quiestest airguns, but still stealth enough to avoid scrutiny. 
Is it a good value? Well for some people it is the question of what other air rifles compete in this price bracket? Do you want something super tunable and accurate and modular, but at the cost of many o rings and a slightly fragile chassis? I would say get an impact.

How about a taipan veteran? The trigger is supposed to be butter. Simple robust design and proven. No fast follow up shots with out moving your hand quite a bit. Not very ergonomic. The leyla stock is genius, the front knob makes for a great little shelf to steady shots. Also loud. The leyla with the bat moderator is quiet. The vet is loud, unless you add a donnyfl mod and then it is whisper quiet. The leyla puts out serious power and still manages to keep it somewhat quiet. Sound is subjective at times.

I wish I bought this gun first. That is why it is such a bargain for me. The list below is a chronological list of the air rifle I have bought while airguning for 5 years. I’ve always been airgunning, but when I was young, it was all about a Benjamin 392 or crosman 760 or 2100. I never knew until recently how accurate German springers and pcp air rifles could be. I remember finding out about AOA and buying a high end springer. The rep did mention if I spent a little more I could get into pcp rifles. I scoffed it off until I tried one and was hooked.

weiharauch hw 95 .177 everyone should own a classic springer with iron sights.

weihrauch hw 97 meh, heavy and accurate.

daystate renegade hp .303 very loud, even with a sumo it has a bark. But this one is a beast. Hardly ever gets used, got some turkeys with it, but a very specialized platform. In retrospect it wasn’t a very good buy, I hardly use it. Too much pellet gun for me most of the time. Loud big and over penetration okay trigger, it is electronic kinda like a mouse click with a spring on the end.

edgun leshiy ( this is a great way into an edgun. This platform is still the top performer as far as squirrels eradicated for me. Everyone should try a leshiy. The ultimate light backpack carbine)

zbroia hortitsia.22, loud. Powerful. Accurate and great anti double feed. Classic lines, great value. But I never shoot it. It looks ridiculous if I leave my property with a rifle case. 

benjamin fortitude gen 2 .22 ( it was 199.99) ugh, the trigger is garbage even with all my mods and springs. Packed the stock with memory foam and added a magpul rubber butt pad and check riser. It’s accurate but for fine work, the trigger is awful. Maybe if you put a mrod trigger into it? Well once again, it’s long as hell, might as well load up the 6.5 creedmoor powder burner and scoot out.

used ataman M2r ultra ( great platform. I also recommend this one, but not at retail price. I picked this up for 400.00 so at that price it is awesome, but at 1299.99 full retail, I would still recommend the leyla.

fx impact mk 1 .25 awesome performance, leaky and you should treat with care. Trigger, great. Doesn’t get much use because it’s still kinda large and definitely too fancy pants to get stuffed in a pack and dropped in the dirt.

so what’s the point? Well hell, if I would have just tried the damn leshiy first, stopped and then thought, man this leshiy is so useful and well built, if I want a companion that is a little bigger, just as accurate with a quick follow up capability ( remember I was lucky enough to get two squirrels in less than a minute in an active tree ), I don’t think I could shoot one and instantly reload while tracking a second squirrel. I spent way more money and time trying out different hunting platforms when this leyla works so damn well.

so an update after shooting over 1,200 pellets, the gun is good enough where I deleted almost my entire collection after the leyla 2.0 arrived. The zbroia hortitsia, gone. The new Benjamin fortitude gen 2 , gone. All the springers (97 and 95) gone. The leshiy, hw44, and renegade hp made the cut, because they filled roles the leyla can’t, which is a pistol, a ultra compact folder and the dirty thirty cal. 
So, after all this time, my impressions are this. The trigger remarkably settled down, it feels so much smoother and lighter than when I first got it. The off hand shooting is amazing with this rifle, I take many more standing shots than with any other rifle I have owned. The rifle has a pronounced flight path, so dope is very important (data on previous engagement). The loudness is hard to explain. But I had other people shoot it, and stood 5-10 ft away, it’s quiet. The hammer ping makes it deceptively loud. Verdict from me, it is a great hunting rifle. 

1576380171_15164470805df5a70be7b6b0.14805665_0800DFD0-2AB5-4BC4-B54A-800D9D8879AB.jpeg
1576380172_223449285df5a70c1bc181.26354242_F9F16AB9-C11B-4703-A390-B9C10EC5A110.jpeg

Reactions: Macros
Loving the leyla. The Black Friday Swfa scope showed up, 3-15x42. The glass is so much better than the hawke scope. Bright and so much better, it complements the leyla very well. I adjusted the trigger to around 1 lb 3 oz. is the trigger match grade? No. Is it just fine for a rugged hunting air rifle? Well probably not, I know it should be heavier but it is awesome. Now the hard part. Selling all my other air rifles.

1576705196_13772874645dfa9cac286786.35750896_F2B67956-079C-4494-9A07-B88879ED1C51.jpeg