Edgun Leshiy Ping/Hammer Noise

Hi folks,

Tried searching a variety of sources, but haven't found any meaningful info. For those of you with a Leshiy, is there significant mechanical noise/ping transferred through the reservoir when firing? I've found some bullpup PCPs to have noticeable action noise when firing. Also had a QB57 bullpup springer for a bit, and the action was loud in your right ear! Wondering what the case was for the Leshiy. Thanks for any feedback!

HPA_Hunter

The Leshiy is quite moderate with no pronounced ping during the shot cycle.

After trying three different calibers, my favorite configuration is the 350 mm 22 caliber barrel, shooting the jsb 14.3 around 825 feet per second. I have a few attachments that add mass to the frame and it is very smooth.
1574474015_17854578855dd8911f196ed0.62269219_Marks Leshiy 22 Setup 2 20191122.jpg
1574474031_14203078935dd8912f3d6ea3.03594990_Marks Leshiy 22 Setup 1 20191122.jpg

Reactions: HPA_Hunter
There is no sound that is heavily transferred down the air tube. Unless you really crank down the HST there's nothing much to the hammer and valve sound. I have noticed that the Huma reg in my Leshiy recently developed a refresh sound after each shot. I definitely didn't recall hearing it for the 3-4 months I've had it and reg was set and installed the day I got it. I may check it out at some point and put it in the reg tester but the refresh woooosh sound is quick, maybe 1.5 seconds. It would never hinder your next shot - just a bit annoying.

Anyways, I wouldn't be concerned about it. And for the noise of the Leshiy firing I'd offer two routes depending on barrel length:

• 250mm Barrel - get the DonnyFL v2 Extended tube with felt. Install that with the tube extension (like the picture above) and you'll have a backyard friendly 20fpe gun or a pretty quiet 30fpe. (This is with the .22 250mm barrel - for reference).
  • 350mm Barrel - Get the DonnyFL Adapter for 350mm Barrel. Install this with the barrel and then use any 1/2x20UNF moderator. For reference I use a Tatsu and with .22 16gr JSB @ 20fpe it's very indoor quiet. With .177 10.34gr JSB @ 900-950 fps there's a small pop, but nothing obnoxious.

edit: since I was fixing a typo, I thought I would add that the worst part is the sound of the pellet hitting the paper target. My trap behind is a mix of sliced up ballistic fabric and some loosely bunched old towels - super quiet - if you shoot straight into it you don't hear a thing.

CTshooter 

• 350mm Barrel - Get the DonnyFL Adapter for 350mm Barrel. Install this with the barrel and then use any 1/2x20UNF moderator. For reference I use a Tatsu and with .22 16gr JSB @ 20fpe it's very indoor quiet. With .177 10.34gr JSB @ 900-950 fps there's a small pop, but nothing obnoxious.

Curious about something since it sounds like you've shot the Leshiy with 350 mm barrels at ~20 FPE in both 177 & 22.

Is there any difference in felt recoil when comparing the two calibers at this power? Preferably from the perspective of a smaller shooter? My boys (10 & 11) asked me to get "a smaller gun that is less jerky". 

I just ordered a 350 mm barrel in 22 for mine. I went back & forth between 177 & 22 but ultimately settled on 22 for less bark & better air usage.

I also got a sub 12 ft-lb Huma so they won't be shooting at 20 FPE but I'm still curious.

Also, did you experiment much with the DonnyFl extended baffle with 350 mm barrels & different dampening materials? 

I have 2 Leshiys one in 250mm with the v2 Donny extension for my dampening material I used foam from a fun noodle it’s .177 at 10.5* g jsb at 850 FPS it’s creepy quiet oh the .30 is jumpy when shot kinda startled me first few times the .177 not at all 

the 2nd is a .30 in 350mm tamed downed to 700 FPS using a Donny 1/2 by 20 emperor or a ronin for what it is it’s pretty quiet. 
I can notice a ping but it’s not loud not any louder than my tiapan. 
For what it’s worth the .30 is defiantly quieter than the FX dreamline compact with a emperor. According to my wife ...

another thing I’ve read about and found to be true is the Leshiy requires a particular grip. The guy off YouTube explains it on club Leshiy dot com 

@ctshooter,

Thanks for the detail! Always appreciate more data. It sounds like the system works very harmoniously, and doesn't require a lot of HST to get respectable power!

@Scouty,

Interesting question! The lighter the gun, the greater the recoil velocity in any given caliber/energy. Looking at some quick (Idealized) momentum calcs for the leshiy @ 20 FPE in 177 and 22:

p(momentum) = Mass*Velocity KE (Joules) = .5*Mass*(Velocity^2)

177 10.3gr @ 935 FPS in 3.5lb Leshiy (worst case) - 0.12m/s recoil velocity, .0114 Joules

22 15.9gr @ 750 FPS in same Leshiy (worst case) - 0.148m/s recoil velocity, .0173 Joules

The total recoil energy of the .177 is only ~66% of that in 22. Recoil velocity is ~80% of .22

So .177 really presents the advantage if you're looking to reduce recoil as much as possible. That, and adding more gun weight (reduces recoil velocity, i.e. less "snappy/jumpy")

Maybe a big, heavy 25X Vortex scope is what you need! :)

@Bander124

Thanks much! Caliber/bore volume seems to play a large role in a lot of things. Had read about the "Leshiy Hold" as well, seems kinda like shooting a springer, consistency and technique seems key! I would imagine bags front and rear would be helpful for ultimate accuracy, as a bipod on a hard surface seems like a recipe for the little gun skittering around.

-HPA_Hunter

@Scouty,

Interesting question! The lighter the gun, the greater the recoil velocity in any given caliber/energy. Looking at some quick (Idealized) momentum calcs for the leshiy @ 20 FPE in 177 and 22:

p(momentum) = Mass*Velocity KE (Joules) = .5*Mass*(Velocity^2)

177 10.3gr @ 935 FPS in 3.5lb Leshiy (worst case) - 0.12m/s recoil velocity, .0114 Joules

22 15.9gr @ 750 FPS in same Leshiy (worst case) - 0.148m/s recoil velocity, .0173 Joules

The total recoil energy of the .177 is only ~66% of that in 22. Recoil velocity is ~80% of .22

So .177 really presents the advantage if you're looking to reduce recoil as much as possible. That, and adding more gun weight (reduces recoil velocity, i.e. less "snappy/jumpy")

Maybe a big, heavy 25X Vortex scope is what you need! :)

Thank you for that. I do plan to get the 350 mm, 177 barrel eventually so I'll be curious to see if I or they can feel the difference.

I tried to explain to them that smaller isn't better in this csse but I understand what they're thinking. 

@Airgunshooter,

Thanks for the honest insights! Seems like you're getting more power than most in what I assume are .22 and .25. Is that with the 350mm barrel, or an even longer tube? Sounds like most of the folks operating at the lower end of the spectrum (12-20 FPE in .22 cal, 350mm tube) don't have as much of a problem (less hammer energy necessary). I wonder if that could be a factor... Do the earplugs sufficiently tame the pinging? Hopefully it doesn't transfer through the cheekbones, etc. too badly!

@Scouty,

Of course! Don't know if you could get much smaller than the Leshiy! Haha Would be interesting to see how the 350mm .177 performs!]

HPA_Hunter