Edgun Leshiy info and tips for new user

Hello Dino,

I don't think anyone has addressed your specific question about the fill pressure. It can accept up to a 300 bar fill which is around 4400 PSI and the Leshiy regulators are set somewhere between 110 and 125 bar which is 1600-1,800 PSI. Any fill above the regulator pressure will work. The more pressure you give it, up to 4400 psi, the more shots you will get before you no longer have enough pressure for the regulator to meet its set point.

I definitely recommend polishing the barrel. First with a nylon bristle brush and JB bore paste, followed by a cotton Jag and a metal polish such as flitz or simichrome.

I went to makeXYZ.com and printed the AR style grip which I find to be far superior than the original. I think you can search for Leshiy AR grip to obtain the STL file needed for the 3D printing. Edgun West.com may still have it on his site.

I highly recommend getting the 350 mm barrel and moderator extension for maximum air efficiency if you are happy with the extra length. I find the factory moderator to be just fine but the POI is sensitive to the slightest shift in the baffle insert and torque on the retaining ring.

1. if you have long fingers, please note the AR style grip will place your trigger finger about 1 cm forward compared to the original grip

2. the baffle insert is made of composite and will flex with frictionso keep the o-ring lubricated and do not over tighten - and look through the barrel to check its lined up

Hey Towle (or anyone else),

Any further guidance on the baffle insert? It seems to have enough play to turn ever so slightly one way or another when torqueing the retaining ring and then backing off a bit. Are you saying that the o-ring friction is twisting the insert when I torque the retainer??

I had been noticing an annoying shift in poi, about 2 moa right. I would remove baffle, swab barrel, reassemble and re-zero. Would be spot on for awhile, then be off maybe 2 weeks later.

I have also examined the baffle passages for fibers, flashing, or any other contaminants. No glaring evidence of clipping.

I can certainly put some silicone grease on the o-ring. So the question becomes: how much torque is appropriate for the retaining ring? I may go back to just enough torque to hold it in place and see how it does.

I bought my Leshiy to use as what it is intended for: a lightweight packable carbine. I understand many want to expand on the capabilities, but I find that it is perfect in near-stock form. I tuned mine down to shoot right at 20FPE in .22 with the 250mm barrel- stock config it was shooting at 35. I skipped the foregrip after using for about 10 minutes. It did not offer me an accuracy increase and made the gun more cumbersome (meaning less packable with the other gear I carry). I also pack mine frequently. However, I also know I'm not going to be taking more than a dozen shots over the weekend since mine is for "making meat". I since switched to the 350mm barrel and gained a few FPE, now shooting at 775 FPS which is plenty for small game with Crow Mags and Kodiaks. I use the stock shroud extension- I have a few LDCs I could add if needed but I find Ed's design works well enough, so I've been sinking money into pellets instead :)

Regarding optics: I use a 2x Red-dot with a side-laser. The gun shoots POA=POI at any reasonable distance for a 2x red-dot, and the laser is "sighted" in at 25 yards. No need to turn the scope on- just tap on the laser's power switch and a Kodiak lands at the dot. I was contemplating getting the Dedal (the nice 6x) and an ATN thermal, but decided my girlfriend needs a Lelya more than I need yet another scope.

I will just parrot what others say: the HUMA reg and the Wika gauge are wise choices. I'm sticking with my EDMU and the factory regulator for now because I'm lazy very happy with my Leshiy's performance and handling right now. I'm contemplating a .30 barrel, though, so we'll see what changes over the next few months.

Hey Towle (or anyone else),

Any further guidance on the baffle insert? It seems to have enough play to turn ever so slightly one way or another when torqueing the retaining ring and then backing off a bit. Are you saying that the o-ring friction is twisting the insert when I torque the retainer??

I had been noticing an annoying shift in poi, about 2 moa right. I would remove baffle, swab barrel, reassemble and re-zero. Would be spot on for awhile, then be off maybe 2 weeks later.

I have also examined the baffle passages for fibers, flashing, or any other contaminants. No glaring evidence of clipping.

I can certainly put some silicone grease on the o-ring. So the question becomes: how much torque is appropriate for the retaining ring? I may go back to just enough torque to hold it in place and see how it does.

1. Yes, every material will flex else it would not be stable, composite plastic more, aluminum less

2. Yes silicone grease and you don't need much torque, just to keep it from moving - always look down the barrel after mounting the insert - and if out of line - back the retainer ring a bit and the insert will follow

My Leshiy never shift POI but it's in .177 (4.5mm), the hole in baffle is 7.8mm so lineup is of cause more forgiving than in the bigger calibers

Tough question to answer exactly. The extra air tube approximately doubles the amount of air storage. I know this because with one setup I went from shooting 5 bar per shot to 2.5 bar per shot. That setup was with JSB 18.1s in .22 at around 900 fps with the .22 350mm barrel. This was pushing ~32fpe. It's hard to estimate how that would translate to a .25 barrel but assuming you were using the same amount of air a fill to 250bar down to the regulator's 130bar would net you (250-130)/2.5 = 48 shots. So you looking at about 24 versus 48 shots. If you're going to be pushing 45fpe you can probably cut those numbers in half. 

Thank you ctshooter, very helpful. 

I feel bad about getting this info for free. If you guys give me your address I will send you a tin of pellets. 

I will have more questions once the Leshiy arrives Wednesday.

So the filling up dilemma. I guess since it has a small cylinder I start with a pump first before paying for a bottle and compressor.

I did a search and seems like the MK4 is a good pump?

The MK4 Hill pump removes 90% of moisture (so they say) so if you want to play it safe chose that one, I own an use a FX pump and see no way to ad a filter on the inlet side so use it for my unregulated FX airgun only, and without any problems so far - I would be more careful with a regulated airgun, I guess most regulators are made with ordernary steel Belleville washer

https://www.airriflepump.com/

I dont trust that 90% at all. Even if it can, it's only on the first fill.

I've used the Hill MK4 without issues. I mostly rely on a Great White tank to fill, and I top off to max with the hand pump - but I've taken my Leshiy hunting in the mountains with the HillI in wet conditions several times, and I'm not at all worried about it.

If you're in the moisture fear camp, then I would stock up on o-rings for the pressurized area of the Leshiy, and learn how to service it. Fortunately, there aren't many o-rings and it's drop dead simple to work on.

You would get quite a few fills from the Great White tank. Obviously each fill will be a tiny bit less than the previous, but with the small air tube on the Leshiy it may only be a few bar per fill. 

You gotta do your own lifting to figure this one out, but go to the fill calculator here https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html. Put in your fill tank and gun air tank numbers and you'll get figures than we can guesstimate. 

I don't think mtnGhost is talking about filling the Great White from a hand pump, lol. If you get the tank from Joe you will get everything you need except the fill probe which will come with the Leshiy. So that is basically tank, valve, hose and Foster QD. 

mtnGhost,

You fill the great white with pump?

There is a scuba shop close by that fills up to 4500. If I get the great white, how many fills will it give on the leshiey ?

mtGhost, apart from the tank, what other parts do I need to connect it to the gun and fill it up? Assume I know zip about PCP, thank you.

I think what he means is he fills his Leshiy from the Great White and when it gets low he fills the Leshiy as much as he can then tops off the Leshiy with his hand pump.

I bought a used 45 minute SCBA tank and Stik Boy fill assembly from AirTanksPlus.com this past winter. I was researching tanks and decided early on that a used tank with a good quality fill assembly was the way I wanted to go.

https://airtanksplus.com/product/stikboy-pcp-fill-adapter/

I called them to see what they had it stock for used tanks. I settled on a 45 minute tank because they had it in stock and because many here thought it was a good compromise between capacity and portability. I tend to agree with this although I wish I had a smaller tank as well for the cabin/backpack. 

As far as number of fills that depends on what pressure you fill it to and at what pressure you re-fill. It also matters if you will continue to fill and shoot your Leshiy even if the tank has less pressure than you normally fill to. 

Airguns of Arizona has a very easy to use fill calculator. https://www.airgunsofarizona.com/Tanks/FillCalc.html

If you want to use it the air cylinder volume on the Leshiy is around 41 cc with the original regulator. With the newer Edgun regulator or the standard Huma or the sub-12 Huma the amount of air it can hold is greater.

I believe my 45 minute tank holds 66 cubic feet of air. I have the standard Huma reg but I'll use 41 cc as my cylinder volume anyways.

I fill to around 240 bar and refill around 100 bar (my reg is set below 100 bar currently) - or 3500 psi and 1500 psi respectively. 

According to the AoA calculator that means I should get 74.5 fills.

In reality I don't think I get anywhere near that. In fact I suspect I entered something wrong. But like the previous poster suggested - play around with it. 

My dive shop advertises as filling to 4500 psi but the reality is that it's well below that once the tank cools off. I heard from another airgun owner that the guy balks at the idea of letting it sit overnight so it can be topped off when cool so I haven't asked. Your shop may not do a true 4500 psi fill.