• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EDgun Edgun Leshiy 2

I have the compact version and was wondering in anyone is having sucesss making these things quiet. I was checking out the hornet mod 50 but was curious what noise levels to expect. I have my leshiy 2 compact in the classifieds but if I can come up with a cheap way to get this thing quiet enough I might just keep it. If anyone has shot a stock tiapan veteran compact .22 this is the level of quiet im going for. I don't do alot of shooting but I need something I can shoot squirrels from my deer stand and not scare away Bambi. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Have you had someone else shoot your gun while your standing 20 yards away? I have the Huma 40 on my 250 and 350 barrels. It seems loud to me when I shoot it but it doesn’t sound any louder than my other guns when you stand a few yards away. It is the action of the Leshiy that you hear and the air blast around the magazine and rear of the stock moderator. I have hammer action rifles that the hammer hitting the valve make a lot of noise that resonate through the stock up into my ear that bothers me more than the Leishy. Will you get a Leshiy down to less than 85 dbls. In compact form? Perhaps but I’ll bet it will still sound louder than another rifle measuring the same reading. Try having someone shoot both your guns outside, stand 20 yards away at different sides and angles and then judge how loud they are . Believe me a deer will hear both your guns as a strange noise in the woods and will be aware of your presence. If you want better success hunting deer, then hunt deer.

@leatherman I've shot a piney squirrel from my stand and when i turned a deer was standing there. It was a young buck and I still could've shot him if I chose to. I know with a more mature deer things might of went down different. I go out to have fun and enjoy myself. Sometimes if I'm sitting all day I take my pellet gun with me for something to do. Whatever keeps me in the woods longer. I hunt the thick stuff so most of the time I try to keep it quiet but some noise won't travel that far with all the foliage surrounding me. I'm in a covered 2 man stand or a raised enclosed blind. The 1st gen .20 edgun lelya in stock form is quiet enough and so was the taipan compact mutant in .22. But I hunt for the freezer and don't care if it has a big rack as long as the body is nice. I'll shoot a decent buck if it comes by though. 

20181109_071441.1639794159.jpg

Thanks for the tip on having someone else shoot my gun and see what it actually sounds like. Thank you everyone for all the feedback.

How are you measuring how loud your Leshiy is? 

For example, you could measure in an enclosed space, or outdoors with no reflecting walls. You could have the mic right up by the tip of the barrel, or have it a fixed distance away. And of course, what is measuring the report? Cell phone? Calibrated mic?

Your choice of measurement will result in radically different numbers describing the noise level of the gun. In that regard the best silencer for a gun is distance between the mic and the gun. 

I'm okay with the Leshiy being loud, but I'd rather it not be hearing-protection-required "loud". Being quiet would be a plus, but I'm not seeing a way to get there. 

How are you measuring how loud your Leshiy is? 

For example, you could measure in an enclosed space, or outdoors with no reflecting walls. You could have the mic right up by the tip of the barrel, or have it a fixed distance away. And of course, what is measuring the report? Cell phone? Calibrated mic?

Your choice of measurement will result in radically different numbers describing the noise level of the gun. In that regard the best silencer for a gun is distance between the mic and the gun. 

I'm okay with the Leshiy being loud, but I'd rather it not be hearing-protection-required "loud". Being quiet would be a plus, but I'm not seeing a way to get there. 

right, this is inside, and the values are for comparative purposes only.

5' away, 1.5' below the muzzle, 3' from one of the reflecting walls.
in other words, terrible conditions, and for comparative purposes only.

bare muzzle - 109db
stock shroud - 100db
mod50 w/1 section/endcap - 95db
mod50 w/2 sections/endcap - 90db
mod50 w/3 sections/endcap - 86db
mod50 w/4 sections/endcap - 85db

bonus
mod50 w/3 sections and endcap w/paper plate and towel over the magazine area - 81db
mod50 w/3 sections and endcap with meter located where your head is looking through the scope - 96db.

right, this is inside, and the values are for comparative purposes only.

5' away, 1.5' below the muzzle, 3' from one of the reflecting walls.
in other words, terrible conditions, and for comparative purposes only.

bare muzzle - 109db
stock shroud - 100db
mod50 w/1 section/endcap - 95db
mod50 w/2 sections/endcap - 90db
mod50 w/3 sections/endcap - 86db
mod50 w/4 sections/endcap - 85db

bonus
mod50 w/3 sections and endcap w/paper plate and towel over the magazine area - 81db
mod50 w/3 sections and endcap with meter located where your head is looking through the scope - 96db.

Thank You for taking the time to measure and share comparable data!

Yes the sound I notice most (and no problem for me) is the mag indexing mechanism venting, it may be reduced by reg. setting but venting air is necessary for the system to work, no pressure difference, no work performed

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=orH6ZSY0W1o

For your reference, the Leishy 2 when shot:

Without a moderator is approximately 103-109 db

With the stock moderator is approximately 95-100 db

With an aftermarket moderator (Huma Air, DonnyFL, etc.) is approximately 85 db

https://youtu.be/pI9iHVkDga0

https://youtu.be/5FILr-sCXHk

thanks for pretty much verifying my numbers (which i would expect to be on the high side since i was indoors and close to reflecting walls).

i performed the test a few times and i wasn't able to get good graphs from the meter because it didn't read every shot.

in particular, i didn't do the bare barrel more than 2 times because it was freaking loud and i live in a condo, lol.

Not beside but there is the DonnyFL reference and here is the mod50. Obviously caliber matters and and and...

https://youtu.be/zkJmwiH7JXc?t=674

and sub12

https://youtu.be/wAO6NzV7bWY

Note that he is using the NIOSH SLM App on his iPad. In my experience, the iPad reads approximately 30db lower than the iPhone, it appears to me that the NIOSH SLM App is calibrated for the microphone on the iPhone. 

So, add 30db to what his iPad is displaying, his readings would be consistent:

With the stock moderator is approximately 99db +/-5

With the Huma-Air Hornet MOD50 moderator is approximately 86db +/-5

Not beside but there is the DonnyFL reference and here is the mod50. Obviously caliber matters and and and...

https://youtu.be/zkJmwiH7JXc?t=674

and sub12

https://youtu.be/wAO6NzV7bWY

Note that he is using the NIOSH SLM App on his iPad. In my experience, the iPad reads approximately 30db lower than the iPhone, it appears to me that the NIOSH SLM App is calibrated for the microphone on the iPhone. 

So, add 30db to what his iPad is displaying, his readings would be consistent:

With the stock moderator is approximately 95-100 db

With the Huma-Air Hornet MOD50 moderator is approximately 85 db

yup. what i found is that it is difficult to compare suppressor performance, especially as the shooter, because of the action.

seems like huma stopped selling the mod50 with 4 sections, perhaps because it doesn't really make much difference (at least in a stock L2 long in .22).

My L2 250mm .22 w/hornet mod (3 sections, what ever they're called) does 93db. I was surprised how there was barely a difference. I emailed Brian at edgunwest and he sounded pissed off, like it was the DB readers fault. lol.

Honestly, feel like I wasted $300 on the hornet mod and if doesnt even come with a longer latching pin. They should have came with that, now I'm waiting for him to send one which I doubt will happen.

I have the compact version and was wondering in anyone is having sucesss making these things quiet. I was checking out the hornet mod 50 but was curious what noise levels to expect. I have my leshiy 2 compact in the classifieds but if I can come up with a cheap way to get this thing quiet enough I might just keep it. If anyone has shot a stock tiapan veteran compact .22 this is the level of quiet im going for. I don't do alot of shooting but I need something I can shoot squirrels from my deer stand and not scare away Bambi. Thanks in advance for any replies.

I went with a longer barrel and turned the reg down. The action is quieter and the muzzle report is also quieter. I never shot mine stock though, it came 350mm with huma40 in 22cal.

I bought the DonnyFL expansion chamber for $60 and already had the correct threaded end cap for it and put my Donny Ronin on it and it is very quiet. An actual backyard friendly report is barely heard from a few feet away. Little over two hundred bucks and the video says it’s about 84db. That works for me and it really is quiet. I bought the expansion pack for the 350mm for my 250mm cuz holding back more air is quieter. 

My L2 250mm .22 w/hornet mod (3 sections, what ever they're called) does 93db. I was surprised how there was barely a difference. I emailed Brian at edgunwest and he sounded pissed off, like it was the DB readers fault. lol.

Honestly, feel like I wasted $300 on the hornet mod and if doesnt even come with a longer latching pin. They should have came with that, now I'm waiting for him to send one which I doubt will happen.

if you are judging the sound level from behind the scope, you are just hearing the action from up close, which is over 90db for my meter (96db).

but from 5 feet away, the mod40/50 does make a 15db difference (from 100db to 85db) for me.

Is Leshiy 2 a good choice for a first/only PCP? I’m a casual shooter mostly firearms but have a couple springers that I also very much enjoy. I have not been that interested in PCPs before but the want for Leshiy 2 is strong.

If you enjoy to tinker and upgrade and customize (and can afford it), yup. Something that will eat through 1000 of pellets/slugs, yup. A fun shooter, yup. If you also getting a 4500psi compressor. A pcp that can shoot 12ft/lb to 60ft/lb in .22, yup

If you like something quiet, nope. Perfect accuracy, nope