• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Edgun Leshiy 2 Shooting Slugs

I've been trying two new to me slugs this weekend:

- Apex Airgun Ammo 36gr boattail in .219

- Altaros 32.3gr 5.52mm slug (BC - 0.18)

Something to note - both of these slugs are solid tip, which I purchased specifically for better BC for target shooting. And let me tell you both of these hit with penetration power I've not seen before. 

I shoot in my back yard and have approx. 40-50 yards of range. I was shooting these slugs at ~41 yards from my kitchen table out the slider. My target is a plastic bin filled with mulch. I've thrown everything from .22 to .30 and up to 95 fpe at this target and nothing has gone through it until now. 

It must be the riding ridges on the 36gr Apex slugs, but it shoots these at 900 fps for 65 fpe. At the same 160 bar setting I am sending the 25gr JSB Redesign at 1000 fps for 65 fpe. To see a slug shoot with the same fpe as a pellet it impressive. Usually the slug friction slows it down - as in the case of the Altaros which only gets 900 fps as well for 56 fpe - but with the BC it would still be carrying 48 fpe at 815 fps at 100 yards. That's pretty nuts. 

I am shooting these out of the .22 600mm unchoked Alfa Precision barrel. This barrel is nuts accurate with everything I've put through it - JSB 15gr, 18gr, 25gr redesign, 34gr, NSA 31.2 .218, CPHP 14gr. I can run the barrel from 55 bar to 160 bar with the REPR and it's accurate with every projectile appropriate for the power level. 

L2-600mm22 - 1.1636930253.jpeg

The Apex slugs are actually too long for the magazine, but check out this trick.

L2 slugs - 1.1636930329.jpeg

L2 slugs - 2.1636930331.jpeg

L2 slugs - 3.1636930332.jpeg

L2 slugs - 4.1636930331.jpeg

Onto some targets. Sorry for the mess, but did my best. Red ring is 1 inch.

Top middle group is the Apex 36 gr. 7 shots into a small hole and then one pulled off to the left. 

Right group is the Altaros. 6 shots into the central group and two that pulled up and right.

Bottom group is the Apex 36gr again. About 1 inch for 8 shots. 

L2 slugs - 5.1636930330.jpeg

I've been trying two new to me slugs this weekend:

- Apex Airgun Ammo 36gr boattail in .219

- Altaros 32.3gr 5.52mm slug (BC - 0.18)

Something to note - both of these slugs are solid tip, which I purchased specifically for better BC for target shooting. And let me tell you both of these hit with penetration power I've not seen before. 

I shoot in my back yard and have approx. 40-50 yards of range. I was shooting these slugs at ~41 yards from my kitchen table out the slider. My target is a plastic bin filled with mulch. I've thrown everything from .22 to .30 and up to 95 fpe at this target and nothing has gone through it until now. 

It must be the riding ridges on the 36gr Apex slugs, but it shoots these at 900 fps for 65 fpe. At the same 160 bar setting I am sending the 25gr JSB Redesign at 1000 fps for 65 fpe. To see a slug shoot with the same fpe as a pellet it impressive. Usually the slug friction slows it down - as in the case of the Altaros which only gets 900 fps as well for 56 fpe - but with the BC it would still be carrying 48 fpe at 815 fps at 100 yards. That's pretty nuts. 

I am shooting these out of the .22 600mm unchoked Alfa Precision barrel. This barrel is nuts accurate with everything I've put through it - JSB 15gr, 18gr, 25gr redesign, 34gr, NSA 31.2 .218, CPHP 14gr. I can run the barrel from 55 bar to 160 bar with the REPR and it's accurate with every projectile appropriate for the power level. 

L2-600mm22 - 1.1636930253.jpeg

The Apex slugs are actually too long for the magazine, but check out this trick.

L2 slugs - 1.1636930329.jpeg

L2 slugs - 2.1636930331.jpeg

L2 slugs - 3.1636930332.jpeg

L2 slugs - 4.1636930331.jpeg

Onto some targets. Sorry for the mess, but did my best. Red ring is 1 inch.

Top middle group is the Apex 36 gr. 7 shots into a small hole and then one pulled off to the left. 

Right group is the Altaros. 6 shots into the central group and two that pulled up and right.

Bottom group is the Apex 36gr again. About 1 inch for 8 shots. 

L2 slugs - 5.1636930330.jpeg

Not to hijack the thread, but Sean, is that a 480cc bottle on your L2? And, if so, did you have to add any extra spacer/plenum to your REPR setup to get it to fit?

Chris

CHRisis if you look at the leishiy2 tunes thread in the tuning section. I have pics of what needs to be done to fit a 480cc bottle on the Leshiy 2.

Thanks Hobbyman2007. I took a look at it and think I am going to get a larger plenum to give me the extension I need. i don’t have access to a lathe, so I can’t use the old tube, but it gave me a good idea how to move forward!

If you can wait , I’d be willing to do the mod for you. Just have to cover the shipping. I’m in Canada but cross border shipping should be relatively inexpensive and as quick as one could expect. I have an idea on how to do it so that it can be reused in factory form also.

That’s a really generous offer, thanks. I’ll PM you for your address and send the old air tube.

I’m an ex-Canadian (well, technically still a Canadian, but I’ve lived in the US for 30 years) from Southern Ontario (Hamilton, Toronto, Mississauga).

Chris

CHRisis if you look at the leishiy2 tunes thread in the tuning section. I have pics of what needs to be done to fit a 480cc bottle on the Leshiy 2.

Thanks Hobbyman2007. I took a look at it and think I am going to get a larger plenum to give me the extension I need. i don’t have access to a lathe, so I can’t use the old tube, but it gave me a good idea how to move forward!

My bottle is the 350cc. I've used a 480cc bottle with extended butt tubes and I honestly am not a fan of the extended LOP required to shoulder the tank, and it still bumps the hand a bit. 

Bringing the thread back. Anyone tried any new slugs in .22? Zan? Knockouts? Hybrids? Anything that works? I would like to start texting slugs with mine, but hate that I have to spend a ton of money on ones that might not work well. At least with input from experienced fellas like yourselves, I can try some that have already been known to do well. 
thanks guys!

I have tried H&N slugs, Zan, JSB and also the NSA. All of them work basically, I tried them in .216 and .217, all works fine. They fall trough the mag, but that doesn't seem to hinder accuracy. Even if you tip the rifle and let it fall in the barrel, I couldn't detect a change in impact whether it was shot from the barrel or from the magazine. 

The most accurate slugs I tested were the 25.39 jsb in .217, runner up were the 25 grain H&N slugs (.217) and the NSA 20.20 (.217). 
For hunting I wouldn't choose the H&N, as the hollow point is very shallow.

All of the above slugs were really accurate, sub 1 inch at 50 meters, even out to 100 meters it was decent enough for hunting ( about 3 inch groups). 

I'm shooting the nsa 20.2 at 970 fps and the 25.39 jsb's at 900 fps, from a 350mm LW choked barrel.