• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

EdGun Leshiy 2 - Initial Impressions

Hi everyone since my comments qualify as an initial impression, please see my repost below:

Okay, I am glad we are having this discussion and yesterday I did the following shot string with my L2, specs and data below:

Gun: EdGun Leshiy 2 – .177 cal / 4.5 mm and with a 350 mm barrel with from the box configuration, Also, other put the shroud on and clean the barrel, I haven’t done ANYTHING to the rifle other than fill it with air, shoot pellets.

Pellet: JSB 10.34 gr. Exact Heavy Diablo (I think this is the pellet Ed mentioned EdGun used in developing the barrel)

Altitude and Temp: 118 ft / 36 m and 50 F / 10 C (I am in the Netherlands so close enough to sea level to meet part of STC)

Range distance: 10 yards (all I had time for to set up)

Fill Pressure and shot number: 270 to 150 bar after 24 rounds (3 magazines)

Chronograph used: FX Pocket Chrony set at high power

Results: Average speed of 959 FPS / 292 MPS with a STD of 7.4 FPS / 2.25 MPS

Conclusion: @edgun said above that firing a pellet at 951 FPS / 290 MPS is too fast for a 350 mm barrel for the pellet, 100% agree and my test showed I was even faster than this on average. Thus based off on my results and the statements above I received my gun “too hot” for what should be the specs, which no big deal though I’ll just reduce the regulator pressure after I figure out how to do it. @edgunwest posted how in some comments, but I would prefer a video before I mess with it because this is my first EdGun. My feelings too from what I see for “powerful / FAC” .177 cal rifles, the 10.34ish grain pellets are the standard. Anything below 10 grain starts pushing 1000 FPS / 300 MPS plus, which is definitely too fast for a pellet, this is slug speed. Also, for accuracy I got pellet on pellet, but for the short range it means nothing (to me), but where ever I pointed the rifle, the pellet went to that exact spot, and I mean exact.

Ending Comments: @edgun you made a heck of a rifle, with quirks, but I am getting to know the rifle I call Orion. I think when people start tweaking the rifle (finding its sweet spot) and I do it myself, I will get tighter STD maybe an additional magazine of pellets. I don’t have a pressure reader, but I will order one from @edgunwesttoday, I don’t like flying blind. And if there are any doubters that want to see the shot string, let me know and I will post the numbers. 

@mcoulter no I haven’t yet tried the JSB Monsters though I have 2 tins of them. I might do a string tomorrow with the Monsters and post. I tried H&N sniper magnums and you almost had to hammer them into the magazine. I have been able to run polymags and H&N hornets in the magazine, but this was just for fun. At current settings, the polymags are WAY too light for the Leshiy. As I think I mentioned the polymags were breaking 1000 plus fps, you could actually hear the crack, aka noticeably louder than the Heavies. The Hornets ran around 950 fps also.

I hope you are enjoying your Cricket II. :)

Okay well after the 8 mile / 12 km hike I did today, I had some time to do a quick shot string and I used the following pellets: JSB Monsters - 13.43 gr and JSB Beast - 16.20 gr. Both pellets averaged 24 ft/lbs.

@mcoulter - thanks for your suggestion of the Monsters, data below, but not sure on accuracy other than 10 yards. I will try to get to the range for 25 yards.

Also, I seemed to get more consistency waiting around 1-2 seconds per shot.

And I am being lazy screenshots below: First the Monster then the Beast.

5FF295F0-E1B9-478B-BCB1-BD6DFE371910.1605971971.png

49FCF93A-2D18-482F-931B-827B79A49FD9.1605972104.png

Okay here is a little rapid fire, I threw one shot, and this is just at 10ish yards inside perfect conditions, but no access to outdoors today where I can shoot further distance. But you get the point, and I don’t need to tell you this is in real time.

P.s. The Leshiy 2 is a great way to make apple sauce.

P.s.s JSB 13.34 grain Monsters at around 23/34 ft/lbs of energy see numbers data above.

https://youtu.be/B2fLDTeGfIs

Update: Just ordered the Leshiy 2 regulator tester from Brian @edgunwest. @leatherman said tester indicated his L2 was not set to the ,pressure it was supposed to be, 120 bar, which is what mine should be also being .177. Considering I want to change calibers in the future, and tune things down a little it is money well spent in the long run.

Is it me, or is a .177 shooting an average of 24 ft/lbs a "bit hot"? I think so thus why I want to know where I am starting before I beginning adjusting.

The regulator tester is a great addition! But one of the great temptations that I find myself struggling with is to start fiddling with the gun too early. It seems like the velocity for the monsters seems pretty good. I had a Hatsan Flash in .177 and it LOVED them at that speed. Yeah, 24 fpe is pretty stout, but until you do some accuracy testing to know for sure what the gun likes my suggestion is to leave it 'as delivered'. 

An now go back and finish making more applesauce!

👊

This is a repost so please below:

Okay quick update on the pressure reduction:

Last night I reduced the pressure in the Leshiy 2's regulator from the 130 bar (see photos) to 120 bar going 5 mins of angle / 10 degrees clockwise rotation. My understand is that the Leshiy 2 in .177 should be set at from the factory at 120 bar, if I am wrong please correct me.

I did a LONG shot string, just shy of a 100 shots, and the snapshot of the Excel graph shows the data I got, and the gun started to behave a bit more pellet on pellet. However, not as good as before I cleaned the barrel. I would say group size increased by 1.5 to 2 times before cleaning, but I have changed the regulator pressure and added the 300 cc bottle. AND the pellets were from a new unopened tin I received last week from Krale.

However, I did get kind of the result I wanted, but I might try the JSB 13.43 grain Monsters later in the week to see if the gun likes them more. Last test showed the STD tightest shot to shot for the Monsters of the three JSB pellets I tried. The difference in FPS after reducing the regulator pressure (flying blind without my tester which was ordered yesterday) was approximately 20 FPS.

Please provide me your input, and as far as I know this is one of the longest shot strings posted so far and I used my FX Chrony to measure the pellets.

Leshiy 2 Shot string_10.34.1606208705.PNG

Okay, to continue initial impressions of the Leshiy 2, I got out to my permission to shoot some silhouette targets and try out to 45-50 yards. Sighted at 25 yards

Weather conditions: around upper 30s F / 4-5 C, overcast and eventually light rain. Starting pressure on the gun with the 300 cc bottle was 220-230 bar using 10.34 grain JSB Heavies and shooting at “120 bar” on the regulator. Estimated fps 935ish at 19ish ft/lbs. Shot 6 magazines so 48 shots and so I used about 100ish bar. The 300 cc / 350 cylinder is definitely worth getting!!! With a full charge on the cylinder, 270-285ish bar (300 bar not really achievable with my tank) I figure I could get up to 10 plus magazines. Also, due to the temperature change between the house and outside, I figured I lost a couple of shots. 

At 25 yards was basically (almost) pellet on pellet, but one 2 fliers which are basically me. At 35 yards 1/2ish inch with 1 to 2 fliers, again I think me. At 45-50 yards I paced it off, again not exact but the parallax gave me an “accurate distance.” I go with what I got. These groups were made prone.

The silhouettes were set at the same distances and shot standing 25 yards no problem shooting them, 35 yards took some follow up shots, and 50 yards 1/3ish accuracy, but I figure that was me not doing my job.

Summary, after I learn to be a better standing shooter with the Leshiy 2 (and in general) I am have no doubt I can accurately hit a sub MOA target zone with the L2 in .177. Thus, in .177 cal / 4.5 mm the Leshiy 2 is definitely a 50 yard / 48 m gun, but beyond 50 yards would not stretch it (at least with my shooting ability at this time.)