• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Tuning Edgun Lelya 2.0/R5M Factory Regulator Tester?

I've had one for years that I bought from John Hagan, a member over on the Talon forum. It's also a 2 piece screw together thing similar to the link above, but like the Huma testers it has a little bleed screw on the regulated side of the tester housing so you can "burp" the regulator to simulate a shot and watch the regulator recovery. The one I have isn't steel, but extremely thick aluminum.

Found a pic of one that was sold here a couple years back:

https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/wts-edgun-regulator-tester/

I've added a large 5" Wika 1% accuracy gauge for much easier reading and fine adjustment, and also drilled a tiny hole in the tester body between the two regulator housing o-rings (same spot as the bleed hole is on the actual Matador reservoir) so if the regulator o-rings are leaking it will vent out that hole in the tester and let you know there's a problem before you reinstall it in the gun.

I'm kind of surprised Edgun West doesn't offer a tester for the factory regulators.

Hi again,

Thanks for the great information on the regulator testers. I agree with kiba. It is odd that Edgun West doesn't carry a regulator tester for the Edgun regulator. Maybe even stranger that Ed doesn't have one in his product line-up. I realize that Ed touts the ability and stability of his regulator(s). Normally a tester isn't needed but when something goes wrong it certainly makes it easier to troubleshoot. Luchtbuks is certainly an option. I think I saw the Luchtbuks tester mentioned on a UK forum. I certainly want to make sure it will work with Ed's latest version of the Edgun R5M regulator before ordering one.

A tail of two Lelyas - I've two of them. Ok, why I ask about the tester is that I've a new-to-me Lelya 2.0/22 that is shooting "hot". I'll have velocity numbers this next weekend as my current chrono suffered a gunshot wound (it is dead, a new chrono on order). With the hammer spring tension (hst) set at the lowest preload I'm guessing it shoots 700-800 fps. My other Lelya 2.0/22 with the hst set at the lowest preload is around 500 fps. The difference is quite noticeable. The hammer springs look identical, wire diameter is the same, coil count is the same.

Once I get the chrono back working I'll swap the air reservoirs between the two Lelyas. That will tell me for sure if the difference between the 2 guns is the hammer strike or the valve/regulator set-up.

Sorry. Just derailed my own thread.

Kiba - Excellent catch on the bleed hole on the regulator tester. I'll make sure my tester gets the hole if it doesn't come with it.

Thanks again,

Nugria

The edgun regulator testers will work with all the matador, morana, and lelya regulators from the R2.5 though the R5M since Ed has used the same basic regulator and air reservoir diameter for quite a while now. The factory edgun regulators have always been quite reliable and consistent, and with their larger size they're very easy to work on since there are no tiny o rings to fight with.

You don't need a regulator tester to tune the rifle, but they certainly make it nice to check or compare regulators between different rifles like you want to do, and they save you a lot of time by allowing you to set the regulator to the exact previous setting after a regulator rebuild. Setting the piston to the same measured depth after a rebuild usually gets the regulator setting pretty close, but the tester lets you know for sure.

If you don't have a tester, you could swap regulators between rifles and see what happens, watching for the velocity change on the chronograph to see when the rifle falls off the regulator to roughly measure the regulator setting, or check the belleville stacks and piston depth between the two regulators as a rough comparison of set points... but a regulator tester would let you know for sure if the two regulators have wildly different set points.