• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

EC Hill-3000 vs. Omega Trail Charger...

Fellas,

I am trying to decide between the Hill 3000 and the O. Trail Charger. I have an Impact MKII with twin 480 cc tanks (which I'm thinking of upgrading to 580 cc or 700 cc tanks). I shoot outdoors quite often in zones such as Wildlife Management Areas, south Georgia and south Florida. Outdoor filling in the summer heat and humidity in the deep South are facts of life that I have to consider for my compressor.

From what I have seen of the Hill I am impressed with it's speed. On the other hand I am concerned that it will not last while filling my Impact in the environment where I will actually be shooting my gun. I like that it has an auto shut-off/start-up feature and that it employs two different types of lubrication. It seems fairly robust - then again I haven't heard of anybody using one outside... 🤔

The Trail Charger seems to be a better option for dealing with heat considering it's water cooled though it is slower to fill. Given how the Trail Charger is advertised I assume it is meant for use outside as ruggedized compressor. That being said it's a Chinese made unit, and if my little orange box Spiritech compressor (via Talon Tunes) is any indication, then I do have some reason to be concerned about longevity/quality. That notwithstanding its feature set and advertised performance is enticing.

What say you all? Whichever option I am going to go with will be expected to fill a larger combined tank volume to 250 Bar in hot/humid conditions. Serviceability and/or warranty is worth considering, and maybe that is the deciding factor? Hell, maybe I'm barking up the wrong tree with the two options presented. I really don't want to lug extra buckets and distilled water around with me, but maybe there is something I'm not thinking about.

I thank you all in advance for your insight and consideration.

It’s probably better to go with a setup that allows you fill a SCBA tank at home in a controlled climate environment where you can lower the humidity with an air conditioner or dehumidifier before filling your tank. Then you can take your SCBA tank filled with drier air out into the field with you and top off you gun(s) as needed. Neither compressor mentioned are suitable options for my suggestion. The Yong Heng ($300 - $350) would be a budget option. Or consider investing in a Coltri MCH6, an Alkin W31 Mariner, or a Bauer Junior II ($2000 - $5000) as dependable and proven high-end compressors. There are several midrange compressors, but I don’t have any experience with any worth mentioning. I use a travel compressor on occasion to directly fill a gun, but due to similar concerns I prefer to use my SCBA tank as I too live in a humid region. 

Ezana4CE,

I am budget limited to about $1,000. That being the case I'll have to start saving for a higher end SCBA set up in the future because get what you are saying with regards taking tanks out with me, but I'm not there yet. I do, however need an air supply now, which I can take into the field and keep my gun pressurized. I will be filling from the back of a pick-up truck, so debris intrusion won't be a problem.

Ezana4CE,

I am budget limited to about $1,000. That being the case I'll have to start saving for a higher end SCBA set up in the future because get what you are saying with regards taking tanks out with me, but I'm not there yet. I do, however need an air supply now, which I can take into the field and keep my gun pressurized. I will be filling from the back of a pick-up truck, so debris intrusion won't be a problem.

@10mikemike You can buy a Yong Heng compressor and a SCBA tank for less than $1000. With the Black Friday sales the SCBA tanks should be at least 10% off. Here’s a tank before the discount and there’s an 11% discount code at the top of the page. You can take this tank into the field. I own one and have kept it in my truck or on a cart and filled guns outdoors. https://www.pyramydair.com/product/air-venturi-carbon-fiber-tank-4500-psi-74-cu-ft?a=5834

Read @Biohazardman’s Yong Heng post in this thread. He has many links to products and explains the compressor and components pretty thoroughly. I think you’re under $1000 with this setup if you shop smart and take advantage or current savings. https://www.airgunnation.com/topic/a-dedicated-yong-heng-subforum/#post-1127767

Wanted to say thanks to you guys. After considering your input and making a phone call to a friend, I decided to take advantage of the Black Friday deals and pick up a 98 cubic foot tank. Getting dry, clean air into the gun is what pushed me over the edge.

You guys rock!
1f44d.svg

Good choice. Now you’d better stock up on pellets.