EC 3000: How much water makes it into cylinders

A very recent video reviewing the Hill EC3000 made it onto you tube last month. Most valuable to me was the reviewer's precise measurement of water capture by a desiccant filter at the discharge end of the system. He ran it for 13 minutes to fill a 1.1 liter bottle from 200 bar to 300 bar, and measured water (by weight) in the filter both before and after the test. He came up with .007 grams of water, and compared it (on video) to the weight of 1 drop of water, which is also .007 grams. Even as he measured, evaporation of that slight amount of water dropped the weight value nearly 50% to 4 grams. This measurement is taken from a device downstream from the stock EC 3000 separator.

I have debated for months the need to filter the air on this compressor, comparing the merits of pre-filtering and post filtering (high pressure) - i.e. decreasing water contamination, against hamhandingly screwing up threads, and wearing the pump out prematurely by filling the post pressurized cartridge. I went so far as to buy but not assemble the needed hardware. One concern I have, I have never seen discussed is the effect of the desiccant vapor (CaCl2, among other possibilities) accelerating the corrosiveness of water alone.

I use this compressor to fill high end rifle and pistol pcp's in home. It takes less than a minute to fill the pistol cylinders (FWB Px8 and P34) and slightly over a minute on the rifle cylinders (FWB 800W and Anschutz 2002CA) from about 75 bar to 200 bar. Since acquiring the pump last autumn it has slightly over 1 hour on it. Doing the math, that implies about 1/13 drop of water per fill, or 1/1300 drop per shot blown out, in the .5 microgram range. Other hardware will have different performance. In this regard, I am no longer concerned about the welfare of my equipment.

For those with larger tanks and compressors with less effective built-in separators, you will presumably experience proportionally higher water accumulations.

PS...Trouble free so far with the compressor (fingers crossed) and quick service responsive on ordering the available maintenance kit from Hill direct -England to USA.

PPS...link to video follows: https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...7FE297DDE20C23EB3F0F7FE297DDE20C&&FORM=VDRVSR

JE

Last edited:
I know that with my double hand pump setup I can produce a lot of water where I live. SoCal, today it is 72% humidity. I use precompressed 170 psi air that is run thru a desiccant dryer then the intake of the hand pumps. I still get a fair amount of water in the hi side pre-filter to the large high side water/oil separator. I get very little water after the hight side water/oil separator. I use that oil/water separator on my yong heng currently. And it produces about the same high amount prior to the high side water/separator. I put the same filter after the water separator and get very little water. But I think it really depends on the humidity in the air at the time you use the compressor.

Allen