• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

Thanks for the support AirSupply. I am trying to stay away from slugs at least for the time being because a I want to eventually enter the Pyramid Air Cup so I am trying to learn how to shoot pellets. They are really frustrating me, especially when I see others post these awesome groups. It gives me great respect for you guys who are good at this game

I am trying to continue to practice in windy conditions as others have said it will make me a better shooter. Sometimes I think I am getting a handle on it and then BAM the pellet lands two target over. Arrrrgggghhhh!

Over the years I have seen guys struggle and struggle in BR at 25m. If I let them shoot my gun, they are instantly twice the shooter they were.....and they begin to be competitive. More importantly, they begin to have fun because they can now begin understanding the wind. The previously impossible wind conditions are now doable. Things at 100 are very different. You could easily be shooting a gun that is marginally stable at 100, so it shoots ok in light wind. Once the pellet gets some extra outside force put into it from a heavier wind...it goes to crap and becomes completely unmanageable. I doubt it’s you. I’d bet a million bucks that if you shot someone else’s gun that has been proven to work...you would do much, much better.

You cannot learn anything about shooting in the wind with a gun that won’t do it. You will just frustrate yourself.

Mike 

Over the years I have seen guys struggle and struggle in BR at 25m. If I let them shoot my gun, they are instantly twice the shooter they were.....and they begin to be competitive. More importantly, they begin to have fun because they can now begin understanding the wind. The previously impossible wind conditions are now doable. Things at 100 are very different. You could easily be shooting a gun that is marginally stable at 100, so it shoots ok in light wind. Once the pellet gets some extra outside force put into it from a heavier wind...it goes to crap and becomes completely unmanageable. I doubt it’s you. I’d bet a million bucks that if you shot someone else’s gun that has been proven to work...you would do much, much better.

You cannot learn anything about shooting in the wind with a gun that won’t do it. You will just frustrate yourself.

Mike 

Mike,

Thank you for your reply and your bottom line pretty much sums up where I’m at now, totally frustrated. I’m pretty much alone at my range and have not found anyone else that shoots air so I don’t have access to better shootings guns to compare mine to. 

Can you explain what makes your rifles more accurate and shoot better in the wind? Is it the way you tune your gun or is there something unique and special that sets your guns apart from others?

Well...first of all...let me say there are other guns that will shoot well besides mine.

The difference is the time put into the barrel. You generally can’t just fit a barrel to a gun and expect it to do its best. Sometimes it won’t do well at all. If you buy an off the shelf factory rifle, you will get some that shoot terrible, and some that do real well...and most in between somewhere. Factories do not have time to shoot each gun and work the barrel over. They machine the barrel, install it, and hope for the best. Most of the “factory shooters” try many, many barrels before they find a “good” one. I know sponsored shooters that have gotten 10-15 barrels at a time to try. Some companies know the minor typical flaws and perform the fixes for their shooters...such as smoothing out a transfer port burr or fixing a bad crown job.

I really don’t know any people that know how to fix a barrel that doesn’t shoot...which is why they just change them out. I have heard guys for years say that they have to buy about 20 LW barrels to find one good one. I have bought about 400 LW barrels and have not found but 2 that would not shoot well...and these had an internal flaw that I simply did not want to attempt to fix. I have had many guys buy custom blanks from me and tell me they were garbage....and send them back. I have then re machined them and used them in my personal guns...and they shot great.

I sell my personal guns and barrels out of my personal guns all the time. Sometimes 4-5 times per year...because I’m not worried about making another good barrel. Ask some of the guys I shoot against that use other rifles if they will sell you their barrel from their personal gun after doing well in a competition. They mighy tell to you they can get you a barrel just like theirs...but they are not going to part with their precious. That tells the story right there.

Mike

Mike N, while we're on the subject of barrels, what are your thoughts on a barrels rifling engraving the pellet, less for some barrels, or more on others, which in theory makes the pellet "as the Brits say" take wind, or not? For example, it's a common belief that polygon barrels engrave the pellet less so that barrel makes the pellet not take wind as much as a standard rifled barrel? 

BTW, on your Thomas rifles I really like the clamp style barrel attachment system. 

RULE CHANGE FOR EBR TARGET CHALLENGE!!!

I've been talking to some shooters, and the consensus is that the method we have been using doesn't best simulate the true EBR 25 shot target. Yes, the sizes are just about exact, but shooting five shots in one target, then 5 in the next and so on isn't really like the true EBR 25 target card.

So for future cards, when you shoot an EBR target card, shoot one target each for the first 5 targets, then go back and shoot 5 more and so on. It isn't necessary to shoot them in exact order, just so you don't shoot two (or more) into the same target before going to the next. This will better simulate how its actually done in competition. Honor system of course.... ;) Thanks to Team Centercut members Dave @dwilson050 and Derrick @zx10wall for pointing this out first...

One other difference is the 8.5 x 11 paper size that allows people to print their own targets, as opposed to the full 5 x 5 shot card at the events. Which if they are installed onto the backers at all "plumb", allows the shooter to use the rows and columns to line up on to eliminate shot to shot canting and help those with lower power scopes line up on more than just the single bull that they are engaging.

RULE CHANGE FOR EBR TARGET CHALLENGE!!!

I've been talking to some shooters, and the consensus is that the method we have been using doesn't best simulate the true EBR 25 shot target. Yes, the sizes are just about exact, but shooting five shots in one target, then 5 in the next and so on isn't really like the true EBR 25 target card.

So for future cards, when you shoot an EBR target card, shoot one target each for the first 5 targets, then go back and shoot 5 more and so on. It isn't necessary to shoot them in exact order, just so you don't shoot two (or more) into the same target before going to the next. This will better simulate how its actually done in competition. Honor system of course.... ;) Thanks to Team Centercut members Dave @dwilson050 and Derrick @zx10wall for pointing this out first...

Mike

is there a way to order the official EBR targets that have all 25 regulation size targets on one physical card? I know most home printers cannot print this size ( too big) target, but I’m curious if you can order/buy these “large” targets vs. 8.5X 11 printed copies. Tx....Tom

I'm not sure Tommy. I don't know of any home printers that could print them, plus in reality you're almost always shooting 7 ring and higher, the 4 to 6 rings are just wasted paper. Unless of course you're shooting in 4 or 5 mil-dot wind like at RMAC... A 200 was a VERY good score there in the 100 yard qualification rounds and would have gotten you into the finals. Trust me, there were no 230's in that kind of wind. ;)

Gotcha.

That’s ok, I was just thinking that if we could “order” those EBR targets on one big Official card, you could just hang one target on a stand and then just shoot one shot on each of the 25 targets. That would really give us the realistic feel of the actual shooting part of these events. 

I like the idea of Shooting one shot and one target at a time for the “rule change.” Makes it more interesting. 

1593479052_13191229145efa8f8cda8ac6.82240781.jpg
Well not pretty but ok for wind conditions, gusting and swirling New format rules .

The gun shoots better than me ! You can tell I take my time on the 1st target and hurry from there on out trying to beat the high gust . If I scored it right ?