• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

The three major 100Y BR tournaments only allow pellets, .30 caliber and below. (EBR, RMAC, PAC). If allowed I would shoot the .217 JSB Knockouts at 100 yards in the Bleu Wolf. I actually think in a no wind condition the RD Monsters might have a slight edge in accuracy over the Knockouts, but the reality is when are those ranges ever in a very light to no wind condition...? Before RMAC was cancelled, I had planned on shooting the .22 EDgun R3 Long with NSA 20.2 slugs in the small bore slug challenge (100 to 225 yards), but seeing what the RW can do with the .22 JSB Knockouts I would definitely shoot that combo now. I can shoot 220 -ish with the little Eddy and NSA 20.2, but ten points higher with Bleu and the .217 JSB Knockouts.

The three major 100Y BR tournaments only allow pellets, .30 caliber and below. (EBR, RMAC, PAC). If allowed I would shoot the .217 JSB Knockouts at 100 yards in the Bleu Wolf. I actually think in a no wind condition the RD Monsters might have a slight edge in accuracy over the Knockouts, but the reality is when are those ranges ever in a very light to no wind condition...? Before RMAC was cancelled, I had planned on shooting the .22 EDgun R3 Long with NSA 20.2 slugs in the small bore slug challenge (100 to 225 yards), but seeing what the RW can do with the .22 JSB Knockouts I would definitely shoot that combo now. I can shoot 220 -ish with the little Eddy and NSA 20.2, but ten points higher with Bleu and the .217 JSB Knockouts.

Gotcha Mike.

I thought Crossman mentioned a slug event this year for EBR at 100y.

I’m in the camp for allowing slugs for 100 yards! Or.....you could entertain a separate pellet only 100 yard event and an optional slug only 100 yard event. Might be interesting and would allow diversity for those who want to stay with pellets, while allowing the slug technology to advance. 

Seems like you've been doing well, @tommyb.

The Kings are 25 gn, though. Heavies are 34 gn. Mine used to shoot Kings EXTREMELY well, but the wind I had yesterday was more than I could figure out with Kings. Heavies were SO much better. The Hades also shot pretty respectably.... even if more score didn't reflect it. A friend says they are the best at 100 for him.

Bob

Yes...a 220 is a good card. If you can find a scope with some more magnification...I think it will be easier for you. Maybe something around double what you have. It’s just easier to aim when the reticle doesn’t cover everything up.

Mike

Igolfat8 - Fuss turned me on to looking at Sightron Slll, 2FP 10-50x60 MM. I’m near sighted and don’t like wearing my progressive lens glasses while shooting BR. Love the Athlon scopes, but I needed the extra Magnification of the Sightron to see the holes and pellets better. Great glass and very clear, and I think Sightron may have recently lowered their pricing on Slll series. I normally use between 30-40 mag while shooting.

Lots of other great scopes and knowledge here with additional recommendations too from others on this thread. Check out the Optics gate and/or YouTube videos for BR ideas. Cyclops (Joe’s) reviews are excellent and funny! 
Tom 

I think that’s a great scope for 100Y BR use. I have a Vortex Golden Eagle 15-60x52 with the ECR-1 reticle. It’s more the equivalent of the Sightron SV, but if I hadn’t found it used for under $1K I would have bought and been fully satisfied with the SIII Sightron. I use mine at 40x most of the time at 100 yards.

Painful as it is, I did say I would post results today. I should have known when I crossed over Lake Jordan and saw white caps on the left side of the bridge, it would be windy at Woody's, my local range. I am an avid boater and fresh and saltwater fisherman, so I was wondering if I should have brought my bass and crappie rods and headed out on the boat today to try my luck. I love the boat as much as the air guns, and both hobbies are huge sink holes of $$$ to spend on.

I knew it would be windy, but I wanted to shoot in some heavier wind for practice and should have reset my expectations beforehand. I was hoping for a 215 or 220 today. Ha ha, fat chance!!

I shot a total of 'six' EBR cards, but will only show four here. I ran out of the NSA 33g slugs that I liked, so I gave the FX Hybrid 25grains another try today, along with the MK2 33g and 25g Kings. Wind was NNE blowing 10-15 mph pretty steady with the Krestel wind device, from the guy shooting next to me. It was blowing right to left from around 2 o'clock at the bench, and since I did not have a flag near the target, I was lost at times to see what it was doing there. Also, I was at the long range today (different than my usual 100 yard sight-in range) as the Sight-In 50 and 100 yards range was full and occupiedat 9:30am. I lazer'd the target at 95.1 yards, so these don't count, but I thought I would show the journey anyway.

I think I counted '14' outright misses on 20 targets. In one case I shot 4 shots and thought I shot 5. In another, I shot six shots when it should have been five. The guy next to me was very nice and never stopped talking to me about the air gun. He had a 'cannon' shooting next to me and about blew my ear protection off my ears. One time I accidentally took my 'ears' off and I nearly jumped a mile when he shot at his target. Won't make that mistake again!

The few good 5-shot targets I shot, I learned from the wind on the prior target and my sighters. My wood stakes were wobbling in the wind, even though they were behind the BIRM. The Hybrids did OK, but not as good as the NSA 33g did last week. The MK2s did better today with the wind, than the 25gs. I also used my new DS magazines for the first time today, and I always shoot SST. It was a pleasure and they cycled very well. I like the notion of shooting a couple of quick shots if the wind cooperates. I had two magazines and was blasting away having a ball. 

All in all, I learned a lot about the wind today and slowly I am getting a bit better at reading. Once in a while, I get in sort of a zone where I actually think I know what I am doing??

I always zero at 100 yards, and I have a mil dot scope on the Sightron and was adjusting one and a half Mils for windage to try and compensate for the wind. Sometimes I held for elevation up / down also. The MIL Dots are pretty big at 40X mag, and although I like the scope, I miss the Athlon MOA reticles, which are much easier for me to read.

It was a great but humbling day at the range, and I am destined to buy a much more solid target stand in the next week or two hopefully. Also, a couple of wind flags at the target are desperately needed.

1591990403_7287296845ee3d883229d69.62501744.jpg
1591990403_9411997175ee3d88386db26.97031123.jpg

Found some good target paper to use on Amazon.com. Its 110# paper card stock, and comes in 250 page packs for $9.98. Works like a champ.

Neenah Exact Index, 110 lb, 8.5 x 11 Inches, 250 Sheets, White, 94 Brightness

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B006P1EQXA/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_U_kAr4EbGTVASPQ

Just ordered some on Amazon. I think I might be paying $40-$50 bucks for around 150 110lb card stock targets which I normally have printed at the local Office Depot. Not anymore, thanks Mike. I might even dump my old HP black and white laser printer and treat myself to a nice color laser for my new Amazon card stock. 

Talk about a hobby with an unending req’t for $$$$.

Don’t want to derail the post. My black and white Laser printer can only print one at a time with the 110 lb. card stock without jamming. 

If any of you have or use a color printer that CAN print ( without jamming ) 20-30 copies at one time, can you please PM me with your brand and model? Alternatively, if you can recommend a very good new quality color printer ( laser ), I would prefer a PM so we don’t clog up the EBR target thread with Tom’s printer issues. 😀

tx....Tom

Ok, I'll play. Not very good but I figured I would show what I got with the one card I printed out and shot today. 10-15mph switching wind thru the trees. I put a new scope on today and zeroed the best I could in the wind and just went for it. When it calms down and I can get it zeroed I'll go for more. Thanks Mike for the challenge, its much more stressful than pounding steel...

Red wolf .22hp around 970fps 25.39rd Jsb

Dave
1592093209_16671279825ee56a191584e3.43533113.jpg

Ok, I'll play. Not very good but I figured I would show what I got with the one card I printed out and shot today. 10-15mph switching wind thru the trees. I put a new scope on today and zeroed the best I could in the wind and just went for it. When it calms down and I can get it zeroed I'll go for more. Thanks Mike for the challenge, its much more stressful than pounding steel...

Red wolf .22hp around 970fps 25.39rd Jsb

Dave

=====================================================
Dave

The good news is that there are no ‘5’s! Lowest score outside the target ring is “6.” I should know as I had FOURTEEN misses Friday! Mike is relaxing the rules for us as a miss counts as a “3” but for the EBR target Thread, misses count as “6.”

Same deal, lotta wind. Don’t beat yourself up and the more you shoot, the better it gets.