• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

Ha ha ... you guys are encouraging. What I did not show you is the other card which was named, “ Flyers abound!” Awful!

Honestly, I was happy today only because I think I have some renewed faith in .25 cal NSA slugs. But, I think the gun and shooter should be doing a bit better!

As an aside, I am toying with the idea of calling AoA and trading in the recently purchased Safari .25 cal for a .22 cal HP RW with ART barrel. Why would I do this, as I just bought the .25 Safari? Because... I’m starting to believe the .22 RW with RDs is a more accurate shooter at 100Y. 

Not only that, but now that I converted my RAW .22 HP HM 1000x to a .30 cal, I’m seriously thinking of sending it back to a Martin for the .22 HP tune I had with the RDs.

Starting to think it’s not necessary to have a .25 or .30 for what I thought was going to be much improved accuracy at 100 yards. I may get flamed, but just thinking out loud....

Tom 

Hi Tom,

I got similar accuracy from 22, 25, or 30. I personally like the 22 because it uses less air, has less movement, and the pellets cost much less than the 30. I don’t think you are giving up any wind resistance by using the 22, either. I suspect I could shoot similar scores with any of the calibers.

That being said, it does not mean that your 25 or 30 is as accurate as it could be, or maybe should be. For as many guys that show great performance with factory rifles...there are a great deal more that have the same gun that will not match that performance. It’s a bit of a crap shoot. You may be further ahead to just send your rifle to someone who knows how to get the best out of it. I don’t know who that would be.

I don’t think your accuracy has anything to do with your caliber.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Thanks for the motivation to give this a go Tom.

I walked out just a bit ago and set up the target in dead calm. By the time I got the rifle out and set up, the winds started coming. This is my first foray into the EBR targets. My first and only target so far. No wind flags, and no sighters! LOL I was just tickled to get above 200. Let me know if I scored it right at 205? Had one completely out of the 7 ring I scored a six?

Gonna be hard to hang with you guys. FX Boss shooting the 44.75 gr about 877 fps. I don't have enough nitrogen left in my bottle for a decent fill on the rifle, so after 20 shots it starts coming of the regulator. So gonna have to fill the gun after 15 shots for now.

1591653470_18205422445edeb45e7abb26.19816468.jpg

Hi Tom,

I got similar accuracy from 22, 25, or 30. I personally like the 22 because it uses less air, has less movement, and the pellets cost much less than the 30. I don’t think you are giving up any wind resistance by using the 22, either. I suspect I could shoot similar scores with any of the calibers.

That being said, it does not mean that your 25 or 30 is as accurate as it could be, or maybe should be. For as many guys that show great performance with factory rifles...there are a great deal more that have the same gun that will not match that performance. It’s a bit of a crap shoot. You may be further ahead to just send your rifle to someone who knows how to get the best out of it. I don’t know who that would be.

I don’t think your accuracy has anything to do with your caliber.

Just my opinion.

Mike

Thanks Mike.
Your last statement is important. Point taken.

That said, I like the reasons for .22 plus Mike B’s rationale for choosing the .22 cal HP Blue Wolf with RDs with a higher BC. 

Fuss,

We've got you hooked now! ;) Yes, that is the correct scoring, but lower left I'd give two X since it appears to be touching the line... The Boss will be in the 220's in no time!

Tommy,

Mike is correct as far as accuracy of various size pellets. My .30 FX Bobcat could shoot mid to high 220s pretty consistently. One thing, the more FPE you shoot, the harder is it to shoot those scores, due to rifle movement. So IMHO, it takes more skill to shoot .30 than .22 for instance. I can't say with shooting off a solid heavy quality (expensive) rest if that's true or not, since I shoot off a bipod, and half the time don't even use a rear rest. What I do know is off a bipod, even though I could shoot close to the same scores with the .30 as with the.22, it took much more time and concentration. I'm not sure (I haven't seen many) if many guys are shooting .25 Heavy in Competition. That seemed to stop round late 2017 as more and more shooters shifted to .30 caliber. Now it seems the movement is towards .22 RD Monsters, mainly because they seem to be easier to shoot, and the wind resistance is just as good if not better than the .30.. The downside of .22 is that the holes aren't as easy to see and tracking the pellet in flight is much harder. I think you could get a .22 A.R.T. barrel and pellet probe and shoot the Safari as a .22, probably cheaper than trading in for a new gun. Call AoA and ask...

Thanks for the motivation to give this a go Tom.

I walked out just a bit ago and set up the target in dead calm. By the time I got the rifle out and set up, the winds started coming. This is my first foray into the EBR targets. My first and only target so far. No wind flags, and no sighters! LOL I was just tickled to get above 200. Let me know if I scored it right at 205? Had one completely out of the 7 ring I scored a six?

Gonna be hard to hang with you guys. FX Boss shooting the 44.75 gr about 877 fps. I don't have enough nitrogen left in my bottle for a decent fill on the rifle, so after 20 shots it starts coming of the regulator. So gonna have to fill the gun after 15 shots for now.

=======================================================================================

Jimmy

I know. This is not like the NUAH targets we are used to shooting. It’s friggin hard and humbling! I get intimidated when I start shooting, and I am by myself!

You scored it right I think. Very good first target and I promise you... you will improve!

Fuss,

We've got you hooked now! ;) Yes, that is the correct scoring, but lower left I'd give two X since it appears to be touching the line... The Boss will be in the 220's in no time!

Tommy,

Mike is correct as far as accuracy of various size pellets. My .30 FX Bobcat could shoot mid to high 220s pretty consistently. One thing, the more FPE you shoot, the harder is it to shoot those scores, due to rifle movement. So IMHO, it takes more skill to shoot .30 than .22 for instance. I can't say with shooting off a solid heavy quality (expensive) rest if that's true or not, since I shoot off a bipod, and half the time don't even use a rear rest. What I do know is off a bipod, even though I could shoot close to the same scores with the .30 as with the.22, it took much more time and concentration. I'm not sure (I haven't seen many) if many guys are shooting .25 Heavy in Competition. That seemed to stop round late 2017 as more and more shooters shifted to .30 caliber. Now it seems the movement is towards .22 RD Monsters, mainly because they seem to be easier to shoot, and the wind resistance is just as good if not better than the .30.. The downside of .22 is that the holes aren't as easy to see and tracking the pellet in flight is much harder. I think you could get a .22 A.R.T. barrel and pellet probe and shoot the Safari as a .22, probably cheaper than trading in for a new gun. Call AoA and ask...

I kind of agree Mike.

It is a noticeable shift in rifle movement going from the .25 or .30 caliber for 100 yard BR. I can feel it in each and every shot. I think it is causing me accuracy issues because of this. Some guys are good with .25 and .30 guns, I may not be one of them. 

I will call AoA too!

Thanks for the suggestion.

tx.... Tom

Three of us had our weekly 100yd benchrest shoot in Cambria today. I missed out last week.

I think it was a little windier today. I'm working on a custom Benjamin Armada for 100yd benchrest. For the 1st card today, I shot NSA 27gr. They seem less picky about velocity/harmonics, and I had made a number of changes/adjustment since the last shoot.

1st card was good:

1591664334_10032275215ededece0aae83.03688196.jpg

On the second card, I started with the JSB 25.39gr for the first 10 shots but they were not looking good, so I decided to switch to the JSB 18.1gr. After the next 5 shots, I pulled it over and up some (the 18.1gr had a different POI and maybe more wind). The next 10 shots were not too bad.

The 25.39gr had shot well when I had the ported/balanced valve installed. Currently with the factory/stock Marauder valve, I can't shoot the 25.39gr at the high velocity that they seemed to like. When I get back from the Nevada FT match next week, I plan on porting a standard Marauder valve and see if I can get the 25.39gr back up to a good velocity.

1591664372_15933101415ededef4b0c3b8.18036613.jpg

Haha, thanks for the point Mike. I'll take it! LOL

One of the shots looked like it could be a seven so I split the difference and just wrote 4 eights for easy figuring!

====================================================================================================================

Jimmy - now you're set. "225" --- third time is the charm! Better get friendly with those mosquitoes, as they will be seeing a lot of you now that you are shooting like Wild Bill Hickock! 😄

Thanks for the link CC.

Went out today and tried to shoot in the wind before the storm rolls in. I was aiming at the upper left (landscape) target and my shots were missing the paper completely. At least 12” of movement so I gave up for today. I didn’t have enough hash marks on my scope to begin to compensate for the wind. NOT a fun day at the range.

That's actually not a bad time to practice. When I shot 100Y BR at RMAC 2019, in the second 100Y qualifier, my .30 pellets were drifting 4 full Mil, or about 14 inches to the left. I missed the target my first three shots (so they were 3's), then went 8, 9, 9, 10, 9, 8, 10 before my Bobcat broke... ;( I was holding two targets over, and those targets have circles down to a 4 ring.