• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

Managed to jump in the field for an hour and test the new tune.....Now thats more like it!!!! 

Weather turned nasty but good test data...Wind kept switching or bouncing off the hedge....But 5 shots in one target...Ye ha...I've counted far misses as missis. Again hard job seeing sighter POI. 

Screenshot 2021-05-11 at 21.47.08.1620766874.png

I had a short window this morning to shoot two EBR cards at 100Y. Stat's are on them. I shot this with my custom Thomas HPX 22 cal named SURELY. 25.4gr at 925 fps. I used a Edgewood rear bag which was under the bag rider instead of the green Triad tactical rear bag in the photo and the front rest is a Farley joystick rest. The table is a plastic WorkX work bench which flexes a lot. I don't have a steady bench at the moment.

I shot the 228 card first, the 239 next. I've shot who knows how many cards maybe 40-50??? the last couple years, most with the 25 cal FX Impact I used to own, a AAA Evol in 30 cal, and a AGT Vulcan 2 30 cal, The highest I've shot out of those guns was a 225 but normal was low 200's. I shot 4 cards earlier this week but it was windy and switchy and only got low to mid 200's.

Last October was my highest previous score at 229 with Mike N's personal Thomas HPX, not with my SURELY. So I finally beat my highest score so far which was awesome! 

Oops, apparently I'm still in April time, lol. Month 5 darnit, Steve! 

Oh and I didn't use a plug to score these targets.

DSC00302.1620491905.JPG
DSC00295.1620492298.JPG

20210508_074412.1620492240.jpg

Here's a experiment I tried just after I shot the last card. These shots on the cardboard were all the reject pellets I had out of a tin consisting of funky skirts and .5 gr difference in weight, as well as the heads that were the largest and the smallest. The highest one opened the vertical up to just over an inch but there's a mess of them under an inch.

20210508_080756.1620493719.jpg

July 31st 100Y EBR TC.

I did use a 35 cal plug to score these targets. 

I shot one shot on each bull to simulate a EBR match somewhat vs shooting 5 shots on each bull which is easier.

It was an awesome morning today! I got a new one piece rest so I was itching to try it out. The wind for the first card, the 239Y, was 0 to a 3mph mostly full value lacking any switches. I had a windicator at 8Y, a flag at 30Y, and a flag at 60Y. That one darn flyer ruined my score?!

The 2nd card was slightly windier and switching but I had learned from the first card approximately how far to aim out. Got a 244, OH boy!!! The top left bulls were what I used for my sighter shots.

Pic of my almost new "PQP lite" one piece rest that I bought used from Mike N. It was easier to use than my Farley and I didn't have to lean on the table which helped precision.

20210730_074027.1627749663.jpg

20210731_080127.1627749705.jpg

20210731_080136.1627749751.jpg

Reactions: CampFussell
Wow, I thought those were 75 yard cards on first glance. Now bring that poop to RMAC in August!!! Surely anything close to that is Surely a check for $21K. TC NOP!!! Looks like the new one piece test made a big difference

I see you’re still sorting. I don’t see a 240 coming out of those reject pellets!!! After taking it in the butt due to a bad pellet a few weeks ago I’m sorting by weight and head size. If I had access to pallets of pellets in order to find cases of the “good ones”, that would be great. Unfortunately the vast majority of us are stuck with what little we can buy, and even awesome shooters with targets like Steve rely on sorting, either to cull any bad ones or for peace of mind.

Here are the cards with 5 targets and a sighter block. 
View attachment 1591211178_18664557545ed7f4aaac96a6.59264717.pdf

Steve - Spectacular! 

Boy, this is going to be fun to watch this year. I’ll be watching and rooting safely ‘from out of the arena’ and here in NC!

RMAC and EBR might see some higher scores possibly, if you bring this to the match. You guys both are nailing some sweet scores.

I shot my best ever 100 yard EBR card (239) last week, but with slugs (KO’s). Can’t get anywhere close yet with the MRDs and my Safari .22. Best card prior to that was a 222.

Fun to watch this “caliber” of shooting. Nice Stock on the HPX too. 

Tom 

Excellent shooting Steve!!!

Coolest looking gun-a close up of that tube/plenum breech area would fool somebody from thinking they were looking at a space shuttle.

Agree with centercut, that solid rest seems to have helped get that last bit of accuracy, reflected in the improvement in your practice EBRs. I'm not familiar with the rules but curious if the rest can be used at RMAC/EBR? 

Wow, I thought those were 75 yard cards on first glance. Now bring that poop to RMAC in August!!! Surely anything close to that is Surely a check for $21K. TC NOP!!! Looks like the new one piece test made a big difference

I see you’re still sorting. I don’t see a 240 coming out of those reject pellets!!! After taking it in the butt due to a bad pellet a few weeks ago I’m sorting by weight and head size. If I had access to pallets of pellets in order to find cases of the “good ones”, that would be great. Unfortunately the vast majority of us are stuck with what little we can buy, and even awesome shooters with targets like Steve rely on sorting, either to cull any bad ones or for peace of mind.

Here are the cards with 5 targets and a sighter block. 
View attachment 1591211178_18664557545ed7f4aaac96a6.59264717.pdf

Thanks Mike. I was lucky and got a good batch of pellets I guess. In my old post that I quoted those were the sorted ones. 

Mike, I ran out of the sorted pellets the last time we saw each other recently. These were all unsorted pellets today. Well I did get that one flyer??? I put the pellets in that tupperware because I dump a third of a tin in there, then put in some WD-40, then tumble them around a little to distribute the lube.

Coolest looking gun-a close up of that tube/plenum breech area would fool somebody from thinking they were looking at a space shuttle.

Agree with centercut, that solid rest seems to have helped get that last bit of accuracy, reflected in the improvement in your practice EBRs. I'm not familiar with the rules but curious if the rest can be used at RMAC/EBR?

Double Rocket Bootsers is what one of my team mates came up with to call them. The rest was super nice to use.

Thanks Cole! 

Steve - Spectacular! 

Boy, this is going to be fun to watch this year. I’ll be watching and rooting safely ‘from out of the arena’ and here in NC!

RMAC and EBR might see some higher scores possibly, if you bring this to the match. You guys both are nailing some sweet scores.

I shot my best ever 100 yard EBR card (239) last week, but with slugs (KO’s). Can’t get anywhere close yet with the MRDs and my Safari .22. Best card prior to that was a 222.

Fun to watch this “caliber” of shooting. Nice Stock on the HPX too. 

Tom 

Thanks Tom, I do love ole SURELY though she's a bit noisy.

Now if I can only SEE where my holes end up in the target, because recently I had a major problem with mirage, smoke, dust, and on top of that my poor eyes NOT SEEING about 1/4 of those holes one afternoon at about 3:00! I shot a dismal 186 partly because I didn't shoot two of the bulls. If I can't make those holes out I don't know where to correct to. That was frustrating! Heck it took me almost 5 minutes to find my sighters. Thought something was broke at first.

Next of course is figuring out the wind, this was a very low wind day today so not the typical conditions. I'm usually in the mid 220's but will keep on practicing.

Congrats on your 239, still great even with slugs!!! 

Thanks Mike. I was lucky and got a good batch of pellets I guess. In my old post that I quoted those were the sorted ones. 

Mike, I ran out of the sorted pellets the last time we saw each other recently. These were all unsorted pellets today. Well I did get that one flyer??? I put the pellets in that tupperware because I dump a third of a tin in there, then put in some WD-40, then tumble them around a little to distribute the lube.

So where DID that flyer come from? That one 7 could be the difference between first and 5th place. Up until a week ago I never sorted either. And I thought I had good tins of pellets. But it’s kinda silly to think that in every tin of even “good” pellets that they will all be perfect. That’s pretty much a statistical impossibility. Maybe they generally are all close to perfect in a “good” batch but the chance of there being a few not up to “good” standards is greater than zero. All it took was that one “3” on my card (and the difference between 2nd and 8th) for no reason to convince me to at least look them over and check them. In a tin of 350 pellets, I would be shocked if they were all perfect. I was a non sorting believer. Now I’m skeptical…. 

Double Rocket Bootsers is what one of my team mates came up with to call them. The rest was super nice to use.

Thanks Cole!

Yep, double rocket boosters is pretty appropriate.

thomas.1627769545.jpg

Sweet gun.