• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

No problem Tommy. I was shooting last evening with this setup picture below. You all know I've been whining about getting a couple of "flyers" every card (25 shots). Well I never really considered that it could be the hold of the gun as @beginner discussed above. So I shot some with the normal light hold, cheek lightly on the stock, and was shooting pretty consistent elevation. Then for the heck of it, I held the gun firmly and pressed my cheek normal pressure as if I were shooting off hand, and Bleu shot low. Not just a little low, but 6 ring low. And then I did it for three more shots and they were all the same. So them I went back to my normal hold and they went back up the 10 ring elevation. I have read about "hold sensitive" but never considered it since none of my other guns are like that. The .30 Bobcat didn't care how you held it, it always shot the same. Ditto for my .22 Cricket mini and .22 Edgun R3 Long. Hmmmm. So now I'm trying to hold lightly if at all, cheek off the rest and finger on the trigger with thumb up on the rear of the grip. The rest is a used NOTA rest I recently bought, but the "Stable Table" isn't stable enough to use it free recoil like Mike N shoots. After dicking around for a while I shot the card below in light but swirling winds (got the month wrong, should be 7 not 6)... More to follow as I experiment further with this style of shooting.

Interesting.

Firm hold, cheek weld normal and she shot low. As I just read this, I had to reflect as to what I am doing currently. Sometimes I hold the gun lightly with my cheek and other times I experiment with holding everything a bit more firmly. I need to try one style and stay with it, but I’m going to give the “lighter” hold a couple of tries for a while to see if it improves.

Mike, where did you order your blocks for your rear bag? This would greatly help me out. I am always fussing with trying to move my gun up, down and sideways by adjusting my rear bag. I like the adjustable elevation wheel on your blocks. I have also never tried/used a good solid front mechanical rest vs. bipod. Btw, love that bad ass grip! The Safari stock is really nice but that blue is a killer!

Can you see I’m scrambling here? It’s worth a shot to try some of this out, because it will help minimize my excuses! 😂

Thanks for the feedback Tom. I had talked with Fuss in a PM and he was very positive about Sightron so I ordered a 36x and 45x fixed power to experiment with. I should have them in hand next week.

Meant to ask you. How do you like your new Sightron's?

Hi Tom,

I got a 45x fixed power and a 36x fixed power. Both are very high quality glass. The 45 works great at 100 so that is what I am mostly using. It’s a plain crosshair reticle with a small dot in the center which works well for punching paper. Neither are as bright as my Discovery scopes, which I thought was odd but my highest magnification disco only goes to 32X so that may be the difference? I’ve never had any high magnification scopes to compare to.

A GC2 board is what evolved with the Safari. All current HP models come with it, I believe. We had 2 early ones that had 1st gen boards and hers was extremely good at 50, but she's wanting to be more competitive at 100 and I had a 2nd gen board available. You can get a Heliboard in high or standard power as well.

Bob

Bob

Thanks for the info on the Heliboard and the perspective on the .177.

No problem Tommy. I was shooting last evening with this setup picture below. You all know I've been whining about getting a couple of "flyers" every card (25 shots). Well I never really considered that it could be the hold of the gun as @beginner discussed above. So I shot some with the normal light hold, cheek lightly on the stock, and was shooting pretty consistent elevation. Then for the heck of it, I held the gun firmly and pressed my cheek normal pressure as if I were shooting off hand, and Bleu shot low. Not just a little low, but 6 ring low. And then I did it for three more shots and they were all the same. So them I went back to my normal hold and they went back up the 10 ring elevation. I have read about "hold sensitive" but never considered it since none of my other guns are like that. The .30 Bobcat didn't care how you held it, it always shot the same. Ditto for my .22 Cricket mini and .22 Edgun R3 Long. Hmmmm. So now I'm trying to hold lightly if at all, cheek off the rest and finger on the trigger with thumb up on the rear of the grip. The rest is a used NOTA rest I recently bought, but the "Stable Table" isn't stable enough to use it free recoil like Mike N shoots. After dicking around for a while I shot the card below in light but swirling winds (got the month wrong, should be 7 not 6)... More to follow as I experiment further with this style of shooting.

Nice shooting. No 6’s, no 7’s, very few 8’s, no spiraling pellets. Top right target looks like four 10’s to me from the picture. 

Today was a good day in the Pacific Northwest (Oregon) shooting with my friend Carl (@oregun). Wind was light (5-7 mph) but swirling. Heat was a sweltering 100° +.

My first card @ 100 was a 232, the second @ 100 was a 225. The Impact .30 was shooting well w/ the JSB 44.75 (out of the can) @ about 905 fps. Each card was shot in about 15 min. Shooting was one per target until I was done. I have to say... shooting against @oregun every weekend really pushes me to up my game!

Good cards but I still need to work on a lot of things before EBR! J

1595814867_20619553475f1e33d39626f5.87154940.jpg

1595814879_4669488895f1e33df82d597.51957389.jpg

Great shooting Dave! You’ll take home a Tom Adams AoA trophy if you shoot like that in October!

Excellent shooting.

225/25 shots = average per shot is a ‘9’. Having 25 shots average 1.25” at 100 yards is remarkable. I know many have shot 225 or better on this thread but it really hits home for me when I realize how good of a score this is at 100 yards with wind and environmental conditions also. 

Tommy, totally agree... And especially when you consider that 225 (EBR), 224 (RMAC), and 223 (PAC) were the winning scores in 2019 at all three major 100 yard BR competitions, and previous years were significantly less.... You do have to consider that most of the high scores posted here are shot in pretty much ideal conditions and not typical competition weather conditions.

Tommy, totally agree... And especially when you consider that 225 (EBR), 224 (RMAC), and 223 (PAC) were the winning scores in 2019 at all three major 100 yard BR competitions, and previous years were significantly less.... You do have to consider that most of the high scores posted here are shot in pretty much ideal conditions and not typical competition weather conditions.

Your last sentence....Very true.

I almost can’t imagine how challenging this would be in the “arena.” The shooting lane you get, the time slot, the wind conditions and knowing some of the best shooters are right there with you. Has to be a major rush.

If my situation were different, I would go. But, I live vicariously through you guys and gals like many of us; and this EBR target challenge is a blast. No complaints,

Tommy year before last at EBR we had a cross wind so hard guy’s were hitting the other target next to them 4’ away. Then here is a picture last year during my first heat. We had a simi head wind It was blowing so hard it blew off several targets cardboard backers and all. They had to call a cease fire to put them back on. We started again Then it blew down about 15 targets, metal stands,100 pound weights,and all. They had to call a ceasefire again to reset them. So it usually lives up to the name Extreme!!
1595885583_11695368545f1f480f704b87.95488665.jpeg

Hubby got my 22 RedWolf figured out. Shot a couple cards and was pleasantly surprised. With near perfect conditions and great pellets I managed a 231 and 234. Out of 2 cards I only had 3-8’s. Couldn’t find the 10 spot but 9’s were everywhere. I am super excited to keep shooting and see where it will go. I want to give a shout out to AOA and also arzrover for taking such good care of me.

1595912030_9302279205f1faf5e4b3a48.89185468.jpeg

Tommy year before last at EBR we had a cross wind so hard guy’s were hitting the other target next to them 4’ away. Then here is a picture last year during my first heat. We had a simi head wind It was blowing so hard it blew off several targets cardboard backers and all. They had to call a cease fire to put them back on. We started again Then it blew down about 15 targets, metal stands,100 pound weights,and all. They had to call a ceasefire again to reset them. So it usually lives up to the name Extreme!!

Thanks Donne. Counted approximately 15 targets blown over by that head wind. Takes a lot of skill and wind reading experience to post 220+ cards in that type of “Extreme” environment. Truly amazing.

Hey CC, sounds like a lot of fun! Is it going to be an enter once a week type deal, when we shoot an exceptional card or as often as we want? What are your thoughts on that? 
Stoti

I'd say as often as you want, but try to post your best, and then when you beat your best, post that better one...

AGN @michael pinned the post to the top for us so it'll stay where it is. Thanks Michael!

FYI, here's my best one so far, but I'm not going to count it at the OP since the target is the "old" - old style... Bleu Wolf .22 RD Monsters. FYI, that 226 posted above is not my best so far with the new target format... ;)

1591220031_14469218675ed8173ff306c1.61360044.JPG

What velocity are you shooting the RDs?

@30harry that target was shot at about 990 to 1000 FPS with RD Monsters. I’ve subsequently adjusted speed for 970 to 980 FPS for more consistent performance.

Mike, 

Shot the RAW HM1000X .22 HP yesterday at my local outdoor range. I shot a good 50/50; 1X; .99" CTC NUAH card but I am still wrestling with flyers for my EBR cards using the JSB 25g RDs.

I turned up the HST power to 945 average FPS from 930, and it 'appears' to help. Not sure I can do more than that w/o messing with the regulator, which is beyond my pay grade. I am trying the lighter hold with my cheek and how I hold the stock very lightly, so that feels a bit better. The wind was 1-2 MPH and conditions were very hot and humid, but excellent with regard to wind. No excuses, I just can't predict the flyers and when they will rear their ugly heads. I may have to keep experimenting with different lot #s for the RDs, as I think the pellet is the issue and not so much the wind. Or, I may still be experiencing spiraling but I can't tell for sure by looking at these targets. I don't think they were spiraling. 

These 220+ EBR Target scores are truly hard to achieve for this man, especially since I have not shot higher than 217 ever! I will keep at it!!

1596034037_4617408955f218bf57be3e5.62272046.jpg
1596034038_12023677445f218bf6880976.23398014.jpg
1596034039_21185257025f218bf7222006.94710958.jpg

A GC2 board is what evolved with the Safari. All current HP models come with it, I believe. We had 2 early ones that had 1st gen boards and hers was extremely good at 50, but she's wanting to be more competitive at 100 and I had a 2nd gen board available. You can get a Heliboard in high or standard power as well.

Bob

Does the GC2 board still require the Daystate programmer to tune?