• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

He’s surely not shooting free recoil with that setup. I assume the gun is being shouldered and the bag is just to help adjust elevation.

Mike

Bob, Mike

Yes, shooting with gun shouldered and Bob, that was an older pic with my Harris Bipod. I’m now shooting a high end Accu-Tac and it is much more solid in the front. Thanks for the input. Mike (CC) got me on the Accu-Tac. No regrets!

I think I have a pic of this on the Safari earlier in this long thread. 

Even with the very low recoil can you get consistent shoulder pressure in say 60 consecutive shots?

f-class guns can have separate group at distance just by not having the same shoulder pressure from shot to shot

as much as doubling the group.

that is part of the problem with air rifles at 100, consistent shot to shot pressure, and BREAK AWAY FRICTION, and also rear ear bag tension

with all due respect the only thing that will work is a true bag rider like the impact FX aftermarket ones made to fit your gun

take the but-and off and affix the bag rider, it is the only solution for that gun

Pretty strong opinions. Can you please ‘dumb this down’ for us and explain clearly what you are suggesting. I’m lost. 

with all due respect the only thing that will work is a true bag rider like the impact FX aftermarket ones made to fit your gun

take the but-and off and affix the bag rider, it is the only solution for that gun

Pretty strong opinions. Can you please ‘dumb this down’ for us and explain clearly what you are suggesting. I’m lost.

let us say the distance between the ears is one half inch like on,the bags used for short range benchrest

that means the part of the stock that contacts the rear bag between the ears must be the same width

then the stock can recoil backwards ( such as it is just a small amount) in a consistent manner

the days of rounded butts on,br guns, yes on br air rifles is past

look at the front parts of the stock that contact front bags, and the rear bag rider on the mechanisms for 25 yard br guns and imitate them

the guns are meant to have a stock that is 1.5 degree slope or no slope on them to recoil straight back

the hunting type stocks are more for score type shooting than true br where you go up and sideways when acquiring the next bull

the hunted type rear in the Airgun stocks as pictured are somewhat difficult to get to do the following

a. consistent break away friction or the amount of force TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME FROM SHOT TO SHOT

b. the ability to cycle the gun in the rear bag to get the friction or breakaway friction consistent 

c. you should (or must) have the rear of the stock in the same place when taking the next shot in order to have the same amount of vertical movement upon recoil until the pellet is out of the barrel and no movement to disturb the air behind the pellet when it embarked on its journey

d. I hate to tell you that 6 Edgewood rear bags were ordered and tried and only 2 wee worthy of keeping, the way they held or cradled the gun upon recoil up to my standards

e. the sand inside each ear must be tuned to the stock and how the rifle rides the bags

it would take a couple of hours in person to describe these items and physically show you how things work with short range br and then take the know,edge and apply it to the realm of air rifles

maybe some of the 25 year br guys can help and explain in air rile terms

i find 6ppc rifles properly tuned can demonstrate the bag riding characteristics needed to succeed

in br IT IS NOT JUST CLOSE ENOUGH, it has to be exact

and to be blunt if you travel the sand migrates and some sand will have to be added when you get to the destination for a year or 2 especially with Edgewood bags as the material they use stretches as it is too good they should use tougher parts of the cows which would stretch,less

later so much too learn and so little time

jeff

let us say the distance between the ears is one half inch like on,the bags used for short range benchrest

that means the part of the stock that contacts the rear bag between the ears must be the same width

then the stock can recoil backwards ( such as it is just a small amount) in a consistent manner

the days of rounded butts on,br guns, yes on br air rifles is past

look at the front parts of the stock that contact front bags, and the rear bag rider on the mechanisms for 25 yard br guns and imitate them

Send us all a good picture or two of what you are suggesting to use in lieu of what you have seen here. Also, post a couple of some EBR Target cards with your set up and “pictures” of your scores.

Tom

A couple from today. Pretty nice conditions. Installed a GC2 board on the wife's RW HP 177. These 2 were 16.1s at 1000 fps. Note the sideways extreme fliers. Had about 1 of 10 or so shots that were bad fliers. Slowed it down to 940 and 3 different die lots with similar results. 

1595390848_9303572995f17bb80ee53c8.10415032.jpg

1595390926_5005457565f17bbceb315f9.38734020.jpg

Bob

A couple from today. Installed a GC2 board on the wife's RW HP 177. These 2 were 16.1s at 1000 fps. Note the sideways extreme fliers. Had about 1 of 10 or so shots that were bad fliers. Slowed it down to 940 and 3 different die lots with similar results. 

Bob

Pretty nice shooting with a .177! Those are two good cards.

It’s amazing to me to think a .177 can hang in there with .22, .25, .30 caliber air rifles at 100 yards with a 16 grain weight pellet. Q. Is a GC2 board a Helliboard or did you just use the programmer to tune the power down? Also, on your 39 target, do you think your two seven’s and your six were spiraling? I’m curious because I think I’m dealing with some spiraling issues too. 

Thanks, Tom

If you look closely at the left 7 and the 6 you can easily see the spiraling , Tom. It was fairly calm and I would say some of the 8s are likely starting to spiral, as well. This barrel is REALLY good at closer ranges. I had tried 75 yds and had most inside 1/2 " with no fliers. Virtually single pellet at 50. It was suggested in another thread that I might have to really slow it down to get it stable. I've already tried it from 900 up to 1025 in somewhat large increments. Maybe time to try a bit slower yet, but then that would negate the reason for using the 177 w 16.1s. I've been following your trials and have tried a couple of my 25 barrels recently with not great scores. The 22 w Monster RDs is just SO much easier.

Still searching ...

Bob

Thank you Mike. I still have the Boss. I haven't been on here in a while and just saw your post and had the impact handy so I grabbed it and a tin of pellets and thought I would give it a try. Its a cool Idea you had. I'll try to get the Boss out in a day or two and shoot some with it. I usually have better results with it. But in fairness to the Impact I didn't sort or even look at these pellets today I just wanted to have some fun. Haha.

This is easy peasy.... What's everyone frettin' about?

1595520074_18865762565f19b44a3312e0.64065285.jpg

Fine Print - Just having some fun with ya'all! Shot this a while back with my Anschutz 64 MPR .22 LR with Midas Plus 40g at 100 yards. I would give just about anything to do this with an air rifle!

Mike B - I won't post anymore .22 LR cards, I just wanted to get a couple of laughs and see if anyone was paying attention!

No problem Tommy. I was shooting last evening with this setup picture below. You all know I've been whining about getting a couple of "flyers" every card (25 shots). Well I never really considered that it could be the hold of the gun as @beginner discussed above. So I shot some with the normal light hold, cheek lightly on the stock, and was shooting pretty consistent elevation. Then for the heck of it, I held the gun firmly and pressed my cheek normal pressure as if I were shooting off hand, and Bleu shot low. Not just a little low, but 6 ring low. And then I did it for three more shots and they were all the same. So them I went back to my normal hold and they went back up the 10 ring elevation. I have read about "hold sensitive" but never considered it since none of my other guns are like that. The .30 Bobcat didn't care how you held it, it always shot the same. Ditto for my .22 Cricket mini and .22 Edgun R3 Long. Hmmmm. So now I'm trying to hold lightly if at all, cheek off the rest and finger on the trigger with thumb up on the rear of the grip. The rest is a used NOTA rest I recently bought, but the "Stable Table" isn't stable enough to use it free recoil like Mike N shoots. After dicking around for a while I shot the card below in light but swirling winds (got the month wrong, should be 7 not 6)... More to follow as I experiment further with this style of shooting.

1595521560_16079425765f19ba18e8efb2.55034863.jpg

1595521585_8185475075f19ba31a3b146.87056483.jpg