• Please consider adding your "Event" to the Calendar located on our Home page!

EBR Target Challenge

Great discussion
1f601.svg

I think the issue is the definition of par on an EBR target. 

A hole in one in golf on an easy hole that is short with a flat green is much less difficult than a 387 yard par four over water. The same holds true on a EBR target with little or no air movement compared to swirling wind.

Since I had a small hand in the target and competitions creation here is my two cents. 

A target of 210 to 220 in fair conditions would be par. Not easy but not luck. 

A target of 230 in same conditions would be a birdie. 

A target of 240 in same would be an eagle. 

A target of 250 would be an Albatross much like this silly comparison.
1f601.svg
1f601.svg
1f601.svg

Rob

Rob, you just made my day!!!

Just got back from hitting my wedge with a bucket of balls at our local golf range. My wife and I do this once or twice a week. Golf is so hard for me it makes my BR shooting look like a piece of cake.

Since I have been averaging in the “210”range with all of my EBR cards to date in fair conditions, I’m basically shooting the equivalent of par golf in my 100 yard BR outings. I can’t even break a 100 anymore in golf, so I’m more than OK with your analogy. 

Tom

Just got my RAW HP .22 HM1000x barrel and action back from Martin. I had asked him to swap the .30 cal barrel back to my original HP Poly .22 as I wanted to try this configuration again with the JSB redesigns. Heading to the range tomorrow to put it through its paces at 100. Have not posted an EBR Target in a while, so this should be interesting.

Maybe I can score a birdie, using the golf analogy previously mentioned. Fat chance but I hope it shoots well.

I was almost set to go to the range. I just had to fill up my air tank. Got my Yong Heng compressor plumbed up to my tank, a bucket of ice water for cooling and flipped the switch on and CLATTER ### CLANK ### BAM !!! Then it locked up. I removed the top end of the pump to discover that the high pressure piston broke and cracked the first stage piston crown too. Therefore, I’m on the sidelines and watching vicariously as you post your targets.

Just got my RAW HP .22 HM1000x barrel and action back from Martin. I had asked him to swap the .30 cal barrel back to my original HP Poly .22 as I wanted to try this configuration again with the JSB redesigns. Heading to the range tomorrow to put it through its paces at 100. Have not posted an EBR Target in a while, so this should be interesting.

Maybe I can score a birdie, using the golf analogy previously mentioned. Fat chance but I hope it shoots well.

At range today. RB-AoA, if you’re watching, I didn’t shoot par. I missed the cut! Read on, I shot my RAW .22 HP Poly.

First up, zero’d rifle at 25 yards. Shot a one hole five shot group as expected. So far so good

Next up - moved back to 50 yards. Shot a ragged one hole 5- shot group. Shot two more five shot groups about 1/2 “ or less. Tommy happy at this point. The RAW is shooting the JSB RDs very well. I’m looking forward to shooting some EBR targets. Wind is light, around 5 mph.

Move target to 100 yards. Check my 100 yard zero, shoot some sighters. Chrono’d two shot strings and gun is averaging 930 FPS with good ES values. WTF - can’t shoot a decent card. Flyers hitting 7 ring, some misses. Missing wind calls. I threw away 3 cards and kept a 197 Card. Not sure what happened and I’m chalking it up. I shot a whole tin of RDs and about 50 Knock out 25g slugs. Cleaned barrel when I got home and first patch had a lot of lead. But, can’t blame the barrel as it was squeaky clean when I began shooting. 

Some days you are the bug, and some days you are the windshield. I also completely forgot the rule change and shot 5 shots at each successive target, so I’ll try again next week incorporating the rule change. Maybe that will bring me “LUCK.” I need luck and a bigger 10 ring and obviously bigger 9, 8 rings too. I left HST alone and maybe I’ll tweak it a bit higher next time out. 

Mixed results, but it did shoot very well at 50 yards. I should have stayed there!

The RD Monsters especially can do that from some guns. My Eddy R3 did that at 105 yards (between 100 and 115) at 915 to 920 FPS. When I jacked the speed to 960 that went away out past 150 yards. Don't know further than that. I know because it was shooting lights out at 100 and I was getting it ready for LDs Western National Long Range Challenge at 115 yards,, and couldn't hit a basketball. Might be something to try...

The RD Monsters especially can do that from some guns. My Eddy R3 did that at 105 yards (between 100 and 115) at 915 to 920 FPS. When I jacked the speed to 960 that went away out past 150 yards. Don't know further than that. I know because it was shooting lights out at 100 and I was getting it ready for LDs Western National Long Range Challenge at 115 yards,, and couldn't hit a basketball. Might be something to try...

Thanks guys, so if my RDs are spiraling I can tweak the HST up a bit and increase the velocity. From past experience, I think I can only bump it up 15-20 FPS and then it maxes out at a certain peak velocity.

If I can’t get these RDs stable at 100 yards, I would be really disappointed because the whole reason I asked Martin to swap my .30 cal rifled barrel back with the HP Poly .22 barrel was to hopefully improve my accuracy shooting the higher BC RDs at 100 yards.

Its times like this when I appreciate the simplicity of a good solid Rimfire. Ugh!,

I forgot to mention that you can examine your pellet holes on a nice fresh backer and see if the black mark they leave is off center to the hole. That indicates spiraling.

Mike

Great tip. So maybe next time I shoot at 100 yards, I’ll just shoot at cardboard first and then walk down and see if I can see some black marks off center from my holes. And if so, Then I can tweak the HST and increase velocity and see if they are still spiraling at increased velocity at same yardage. 

How does this sound?

After shooting the field target match at Morman Lake and not doing that well decided to try again at the EBR challenge. Tried my hand again with the Safari 22 and didn’t fair that well. Wind was blustery in all directions so took a break a let others try with pretty much same result. I think we ended up around 206. Not posted. Then the wind seem to calm a little and hubby pulled a patch through the Redwolf 22 and had a go with that. I was first up and must say I was extremely excited to shoot a 234 with varying wind conditions maybe 3-5 mph. Gonna have a go again this morning if conditions stay calm. Here is my card shot at 100 yards with the Redwolf 22 using JSB Jumbo Monster rd 234 5x

1595172613_19281450355f146705bc6374.69616697.jpeg

After shooting the field target match at Morman Lake and not doing that well decided to try again at the EBR challenge. Tried my hand again with the Safari 22 and didn’t fair that well. Wind was blustery in all directions so took a break a let others try with pretty much same result. I think we ended up around 206. Not posted. Then the wind seem to calm a little and hubby pulled a patch through the Redwolf 22 and had a go with that. I was first up and must say I was extremely excited to shoot a 234 with varying wind conditions maybe 3-5 mph. Gonna have a go again this morning if conditions stay calm. Here is my card shot at 100 yards with the Redwolf 22 using JSB Jumbo Monster rd 234 5x

That is fantastic shooting Sandy! Can you come my way and teach me how to shoot like that?

Do you know about how fast your RDs were flying in terms of FPS? I did not see any black around your pellet holes so I guess you did not have any pellets spiraling.

Tom

That sounds like a good plan Tommy. Put a blank white card stock over the backer and shoot through. You should be able to see something.

Here are 4 cards shot in alternating succession. My test card and the EBR. I did not plug either. 5-8 1:30 wind mostly. It did some other things..but I didn’t shoot during those times.

Hey Mike N.

Was out last week with the RAW at 100 yards. I tried what you said to see if my pellets were spiraling. I was shooting the JSB 25g RDs at 930 FPS. Take a look and let me know what you think. I did see some black around my pellet holes. Zoom in and you will see. tx..tom

1595179770_8765890445f1482faee2be6.52193473.jpg

1595179785_13511244725f1483091957f2.66951735.jpg

1595179799_3733308535f1483175ba997.86793794.jpg

Thanks guys. These are shooting about 970 FPS no special batches. Just what we had on hand from AOA. I shot quite a few more times today. Won’t bore you with showing targets of 225 and 231 but I was pretty happy with my last one of 240. 

Conditions very mild and consistent. 

Daystate Redwolf 22 JSB jumbo monster RD lubed with Gunzilla

Crazy good Sandy! ! IMPRESSIVE.