EBR Pellet Prep

I have not competed in EBR, but, will offer a quick opinion.

To win at EBR, you must remove every detail that could interfere with the accuracy of your shot. Pellets are the most variable of any component, other than maybe wind. Wind you can't control, pellets you can.

Tom Holland has an entire video about the prep he goes through for Field Target (Field Target Tech). Washes, Dries, Inspects, tests by rolling on a sheet of glass with a square to ensure the skirts are good, weighs, lubricates, basically does anything he can to make sure the pellets are uniform.

I've tried his methods, and they don't take all that much time when you consider the investment in competition practice and such, plus, I've seen a difference. Just eliminating the super heavy pellets or super light pellets (example, my 33.95 gr JSB pellets in .25 can be as light as 33.00 and as heavy as 44.6 grains). Just eliminating the variance at that level makes a difference. For me, skirts and head size are less of an issue due to the FX Smooth Twist and the way it reshapes the pellet in the barrel. Pellet comes out in a fairly uniform pentagram shape rather than round. 

In my Marauder skirts are a bigger issue. I still inspect skirts in all calibers to give me the best chance at a good store.

From what I've seen, (remember, not been there), anyone serious about winning does the pellet prep as it's the one thing you control that has the most variability, and can effect your shot accuracy the most.

I don't think the top shooters in this game, Like any other, would reveal any secrets. You just have to do the work to see what the gun you have likes. I sort the KH's into 5 groups. 33.2 and below, 33.3-33.5, 33.6-33.7, 33.8 -33.9 34.0-34.02 34.3 and above. I just finished sorting 1200 last night and am going to test and see if I can get this down to 3 groups or less. The key is 100 yards and out. I have played with these at 50 and frankly the difference is un-measurable to me. At 100 thing start to get interesting!

I don't think the top shooters in this game, Like any other, would reveal any secrets. You just have to do the work to see what the gun you have likes. I sort the KH's into 5 groups. 33.2 and below, 33.3-33.5, 33.6-33.7, 33.8 -33.9 34.0-34.02 34.3 and above. I just finished sorting 1200 last night and am going to test and see if I can get this down to 3 groups or less. The key is 100 yards and out. I have played with these at 50 and frankly the difference is un-measurable to me. At 100 thing start to get interesting!

It is so unfortuneate that this ritual needs to be performed with modern pellets in order to get the best accuracy.

If you are lucky enough to own an older out of the box accurate PCP it may be less fussy about sorted pellets.

If you are extremely lucky enough to own a new out of the box ridiculously accurate PCP and have a stash of the

magic tins you hoarded up then you are all set until you run out or pray really hard that it likes the current batch.

There really was a time when there when Crosman and Beeman labeled H&Ns which never needed sorting way

back when... Including JSBs...

CA