Eating Woodchuck/Ground Hog???

Close story to this one, had ground squirrel in Alaska: they bury the whole squirrel under coals, fur and all. Survival school, in the Army, we ate the darn things and it tasted like you'd think, but beggars can't ...
Last April, took a friend out, Vietnamese immigrant, shot a mess of California ground squirrels, and he cooked a fine dinner in a traditional recipe for squirrel from his country, in lemon grass. Quite desirable, nothing like badger!

702702560_20230408_201024.jpg

702699196_20230408_191331.jpg

60 plus years ago as a teen my neighbor, his son, an old guy in the neighbor good and I hunted groundhogs here in Pa 6 days a week Our goal was a 100 a year each. Several years at least one of us killed 200. We cleaned them and gave them away. They were the years the railroads had most workers played off. Folks were glad for the meat.

Reactions: bf1956
Years ago another project manager at work had a dinner for his engineers that was surf and turf. The surf was a shark he caught and the turf was a groundhog. They all thought it was OK. His wife is a good cook so I'm sure it was well prepared. We don't have them in SC where I live now but I've eaten dozens of tree squirrels. Had one last night. Steamed in a pressure cooker for an hour it will be tender and if you dip it in a little bbq sauce as you eat it the taste is great. I bet the same thing would work on a ground hog.