Eating Woodchuck/Ground Hog???

This first thing that came to mind when I read your post was this song performed by Doc Watson who is my all time favorite guitar picker and folk song / bluegrass singer.

The second thing was a story told by my old friend's grandfather, that probably happened near the turn of the century. He was out checking the fences or something like that, on his ranch in the Cache Valley of Utah, when he noticed a small band from the local Shoshone(?) tribe camping on his property. He rode into camp and chatted a while. They invited him to eat dinner with them which he gratefully accepted. A delicious stew was served filled with some kind of savory and tender meat, potatoes etc. He commented as to how tasty it was and asked if they wouldn't mind sharing what kind of meat was in it. They told him the name for the animal in their native tongue which he did not recognize. As they were trying to explain the animal to him, a sharp whistle was heard from a nearby basalt flow. They all pointed at a large rock (Also a Marmot species like the Groundhog / Woodchuck) sitting on a boulder and making the whistling sound they had all heard. Several of them repeated the animal's name in their tongue while pointing at it, making a positive ID for the man. I don't recall if he tried rock chuck stew ever again, but the story stands that he thought it was outstanding.

We don't have groundhogs where I live in central California but if you travel up to the high sierras above about 8000 feet (about two hours away) you will find rockchucks which are very similar. We have eaten a couple after hunting them. Mostly just to say we did it. We were pretty concerned about staying healthy so we cooked the crap out of them. That probably contributed to the bad taste:).
Kenny

groundhog recipes can be found in home cookbooks. it's nothing new, just not common today. if you can eat a rabbit, you can eat a groundhog as they eat the same things. the taste of an animal will come from the food it eats. oh, and no I haven't eaten one yet lol but I had the same question last year. of course, now that I know I can eat them, I haven't seen one, go figure lol.

My dad had a friend we shot rockchucks with. He was from North Carolina. Later in the season when the young were out and active he would wait for the end of the day and shoot a mess of young ones for eating. I never tried it.
Years later I had a friend who bought a new home with some acres. The pasture was over run with chucks and `the situation dictated archery gear. I shot several young ones and decided to try eating them. That was until I rolled them over and looked at them. Shove down the hole and cover it up.
Ain’t no way, no how I could clean one let alone eat it.

Thanks guys I have researched about them, they are perfectly good to eat and carry no diseases harmful to humans. Just a matter of proper preparation, so many ppl now adays see something living in the ground and immediately say( YUCK IM NOT EATING THAT ).... I've always been an exotic eater I will try ANYTHING once, never had Groundhog/Woodchuck but always heard they are good to eat. Think im going to BBQ this guy up 3-2-1 style and make a pulled chuck sandwich out of him. As for the Glands mentioned above I was careful to get them all out when I skinned him. If he is good and tasty might have to supplement my diet with a few now and then 😁😁😁

It’s like my dad used to say about some grilled food he hated. He said place the meat on a cedar board that was soaked in water for an hour, put the board with meat on it on the grill, cook to desired doneness, take out of grill, throw away the meat and eat the board. 😂😂
first time camping as a kid , we cooked over a campfire of cedar , lesson learned ! it ALL tasted like cedar tree .

Killed and ate a lot of groundhogs summer of 77. You got a crock pot them to get them tender enough If they're the old ones. Young ones ones are tasty. Yes you need to remove the glands. Marinate them overnight in orange juice with ginger. That's fine meal. Also cook up nice in a pressure cooker.

Thanks guys I have researched about them, they are perfectly good to eat and carry no diseases harmful to humans. Just a matter of proper preparation, so many ppl now adays see something living in the ground and immediately say( YUCK IM NOT EATING THAT ).... I've always been an exotic eater I will try ANYTHING once, never had Groundhog/Woodchuck but always heard they are good to eat. Think im going to BBQ this guy up 3-2-1 style and make a pulled chuck sandwich out of him. As for the Glands mentioned above I was careful to get them all out when I skinned him. If he is good and tasty might have to supplement my diet with a few now and then 😁😁😁
Let us know how it turned out, and if you'd eat them again.