• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Eating game using lubed pellets?

Never thought about this much since the majority of the "game" is shoot is not table-fare.

That being said, for those that eat what you shoot using lubed pellets; any funky tastes, concerns?

Looking at branching out to grey squirrels/feral pigeons/quails/doves and thinking with lead projectiles pretty much blow through and if not are easier to find in the body.

The lube though, I don't know.

Not going to go into lead-free pellets as the damn state I am in is already regulating center and rimfire ammo to non-lead for game.

Thoughts?

The femtogram of lube remaining by the time the projectile accelerates to a substantial fraction of the speed of sound, strikes hide which wipes it, and penetrates flesh which then bleeds and flushes away trace amounts? No, it’s not something I concern myself with.

What of the potential for small bits of lead to be shredded by hitting bone and being subsequently infested?

Remember old Uncle Jerome that loved eating quail taken from the field with his 12 gauge? He probably swallowed a few bits of lead over the years, yet he lived to the ripe old age of 91.

I mean he was batpoop crazy for the last decade of his life, but are we gonna blame the quail? I think he was just a crotchety old codger.

The femtogram of lube remaining by the time the projectile accelerates to a substantial fraction of the speed of sound, strikes hide which wipes it, and penetrates flesh which then bleeds and flushes away trace amounts? No, it’s not something I concern myself with.

What of the potential for small bits of lead to be shredded by hitting bone and being subsequently infested?

Remember old Uncle Jerome that loved eating quail taken from the field with his 12 gauge? He probably swallowed a few bits of lead over the years, yet he lived to the ripe old age of 91.

I mean he was batpoop crazy for the last decade of his life, but are we gonna blame the quail? I think he was just a crotchety old codger.

Thanks Nervous, I was thinking the same; inconsequential. But having not experienced before figured I'd ask for personal validation.

As for lead pellets in birds, I have sucked down a fair share; maybe that's why I am I am little off..LOL!

As a child I used to chew on lead fishing weights all the time. I never swallowed the lead though. The lead did nothing to me long term. Played with mercury for many hours many times as well no ill effects from that either. It took someones dirty syringe and a guy beating me over the head with a pipe to slow me down. That is all they did was slow me down. Yes, these things can be dangerous if actually ingested in amounts that count. But otherwise what doesn't kill just makes you itchy and swollen. ;^)

Funny thing isn't it...know one ever told me as a kid not to put split shot fishing sinkers on the line with my teeth...for years until I was a teenager I never knew that it was a no no!

And if you guys really knew how lax our government regulations are on the processed food you buy in grocery stores you would crap a cracker!!! Lol 

James from Michigan 

So no, lube doesn't hurt anything at all. Also lead has never and will never hurt anyone where bullets are concerned. There has been no studies peer reviewed that have ever even suggested that game shot with lead ammo can get you sick. I live in California and the lead ban was done even after many professionals came forth explaining that lead in the solid state is harmless. You can literally eat pellets and all you will do is poop it out. This is a political issue and has no basis in fact. Lead in paint firm is very small particle lead powder and is dangerous if you eat alot of it. It certainly is poison. Also hot melted lead gives off lead gas that is also very poisonous. Animal stomachs do not have the right kind of acid to make solid lead poisonous. Animals have to injest clay with natural lead in it or lead that has become a solution. I won't speak about India because I never heard of the study but if it was anything like the CA condor study than it is totally wrong. Everything I said can be easily verified with peer reviewed study. In fact the people that did those studies trying to prove that hunters were responsible for poisoning the CA condor had to admit that their own study was inconclusive at best but lawmakers passed it anyway just to be safe. There should be several studies mentioned in articles at calguns.net if your interested in this topic. 

You probably will intake more of the lube from inhaling while applying it than eat a small game shot by one lubed pellet. If you really worry then use dry leadfree pellets. what kind of lube are you using to have you this worried? Cyanide? The plastic we all used on minutely bases has me more worried than a little pledge wax and lead.

We’ve done a great job polluting our world and continue to do so.......hate to break it to you but you gonna die!

Re lead, I was just reading that lead slivers were responsible for poisoning carrion eaters in India, contributing to among other things vultures being wiped out and the mass spread of rabies. So unfortunately it's a real thing even in small amounts.

Hi

A bird can perfectly survive a shot with a lead pellet that is housed in a non-vital area, but ingesting a piece of lead while feeding is highly toxic to its body and will end its life.

Regards 

Enkey 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.huntfortruth.org/myths/&ved=2ahUKEwjT65euhufrAhUIup4KHSj6A5M4FBAWMAF6BAgHEAE&usg=AOvVaw1wa_eEucouOh97CR31WXLP 

This site shows the very deceptive fake science the CA gov relied on to make the claims that lead shot kills birds when they ingest spent ammo. They also claim that eating deer you shot with lead is dangerous. The fact is that birds have always had lead poisoning even before rifles were made. The lead that poisons them must be soluble to be deadly. Every attempt to poison a bird by making it eat lead failed. It's just a matter of looking up the info. I encourage anyone that's interested to go to this site. They use thousands of original documents supplied by the very people who have done the science reports damning lead and prove that their conclusions are false. This is an old debate and there are many reports out there saying that lead shot kills wildlife but there is absolutely no evidence that it is severe enough to affect any bird populations numbers in any significant way. The CA condor range had 5 years of lead ban and lead levels in the birds never went down. They stayed right where they were. Indicating that the lead was coming from a different source..... A soluble source. Like clay, fish that live on the bottom of muddy waters,mines,steam vents, acidic water and paint from buildings. Anyway I am very invested in this topic because it has really affected me negatively and I feel like it hurts hunting and airgun sports. I won't spam another post but I hope you can take a look at this and keep an open mind about this until you read the material and make a decision based on your own observations.