• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back to a traditional "Forum List" view, and/or "Light" mode click HERE.

Easy and simple barrel cleaning for .177cal....

Take a regular Q-Tip. At one end; cut if off about an inch below the head of the
tip. Lightly soak the cotton head with either oil or Hoppes bore cleaner. Cock
your gun and push it into the chamber. Then shoot. Then take another Q-Tip,
cut it an inch below the head; Then shoot it out of your gun. Repeat this until
the Q-Tip is clean after you shoot it. This worked really well with my Elite II Ruger.

AK,
Maybe some disclaimers for the new folks?

Some might think hoppes #9 is what your talking about ( are you ?) but if so, very bad idea as that would A) eat seals and B) be very dangerous in a springer as it is highly flammable. Some other hoppes product may not?

Cleaning pellets are a let over from Doc's days and even then it was recommended that you use 3 at a time and then in lower powered airguns.

So which product are you using?

John

I won't get into the clean or not to or what to use discussion but there was a comment in the first video that has me scratching my head. The host says not to use monofilament fishing line to pull patches through the barrel as it will damage it. Then he recommends running a yellow brass brush through it 20 times. If my air gun (steel) barrels are soft enough that fishing line will damage them, I sure as heck don't want to use hard yellow brass in it.

When it comes to barrel cleaning the amount of opinions [monofilament line hurting barrel steel?] out there is absolutely astounding.....and some of them are REALLY OUT THERE if you catch my drift.I just cannot convince myself that non powder burning guns really require aggressive cleaning. I have just been running a clean... NON BRUSH TYPE...boresnake thru the bore every half tin of pellets [both lubed and non lubed] and the accuracy in my springers has been quite good. I also have a small device I use to inspect the last internal inch of the bore at the crown and it always appears quite clean after the boresnake. Never hurts to inspect that crown on occasion anyhow. Btw... have you noticed the haphazard way airgun barrels are crowned? I have seen some that are absolutely awful, look as if they were chisled out in a dark cave by a blind man. . If I had an accuracy issue I believe this is the first place [after checking screws and scope/base] I would attend. Regards...g

The problem with monofilament line would is that IF there is abrasive material in your barrel it could become embedded in the soft line and cut the crown. No abrasives no problem. I personally would not shoot qtips OR cleaning felts through a springer. 
For problem barrels I use a brass/bronze brush on a one piece rod. For normal cleaning I use Ballistol or a mild solvent on a pull through. Most barrels do require occasional cleaning.

Certain guns (like Mendoza's) diesel for a loooong time-mine did for the first 1000 shots, and the carbon from the dieseling would ruin accuracy. I used a crown saver pull through and Beeman MP5 oil to clean after every 100 shots, it worked great. If you have a gun that diesels a lot, keep this in mind.
I think shooting a q-tip in a springer is very like a dry fire and not a good idea.

"AK47MAN"The Q-tip fits tight and snug in the barrel. I have also done this without shooting the gun
using a carbon fiber cleaning rod to push it through. It does the job for me...My gun has
"dieseled" maybe four times out of 300+ shots since I got it. No big deal; But man it is
loud as a 22lr going off when it does...(-:

When you get that crack like a 22 its detonation not deiseling. This can be dangerous to the gun and possibly you depending on the rifles quality and how many times detonation has happened already. It may be worth youd while to dismantle the gun and get last bit of factory junk out of there. Also do a bit of deburring and polishing while its apart. Reassemble with the appropriate lube and have a safer better shooting gun than before.

"John_in_Ma"
"AK47MAN"The Q-tip fits tight and snug in the barrel. I have also done this without shooting the gun
using a carbon fiber cleaning rod to push it through. It does the job for me...My gun has
"dieseled" maybe four times out of 300+ shots since I got it. No big deal; But man it is
loud as a 22lr going off when it does...(-:

When you get that crack like a 22 its detonation not deiseling. This can be dangerous to the gun and possibly you depending on the rifles quality and how many times detonation has happened already. It may be worth youd while to dismantle the gun and get last bit of factory junk out of there. Also do a bit of deburring and polishing while its apart. Reassemble with the appropriate lube and have a safer better shooting gun than before.
I have no clue on how to dismantle this gun...It is shooting great. It was only $99.00 at Walmart. My first break barrel I own.
When you say "factory junk" to you mean replace the internals or what?

Hello to All,

Just back the Q-tip up with a pellet.

Here in the UK, we also use cigarette filters - the kind you use for hand-rolling cigarettes (also back this up with a pellet).

The most commonly used type used for cleaning here are pull through's - either fishing/strimmer line, or types such as the VFG Pocket set (I use this).

Pull through's are cheap and work well.

For me, I use a pull through to apply a very thin layer of preservative grease to the barrel after every shooting session - I live in an old, cold Victorian house, with no central heating and a hundred or so yards from the English Channel - steel rusts while you look at it !

Have fun & a good weekend :)

Best regards

Russ