East Texas Shooters?

Hello everyone,

Got the Benchrest turned right side up and completed the stain job. Then cut the top material to size, stained both sides and got it screwed down in place. After the stain has dried completely I will install the Blue Naugahyde material on the top and the cap rails and it will be ready for some serious shooting.

ThomasT
Benchrest X24.jpg

I know you built it in your basement, and now it does not fit through the door ?
Hello Beerthief

Oooooops :unsure: :oops:o_O ?

Wait a minute, you scared me there for a minute. Actually my shop is ground level and I have a pair of French Doors ( 6-foot opening ) that open up to my back porch. So all I have to do is just roll it through the doors right onto the porch and start shooting. I know it is a bit far to your Kentucky home but come and join us on the 19th for our big Benchrest event and you can give this a good tryout.

ThomasT

Reactions: hgatesm
Hello everyone,

OK have started installing the Naugahyde material. I have stapled in place the back area edges ( see photo ) to hold it in place while I stretch tight over the top surface. I will let this "hang" for about two more hours and then start stapling the balance of the edges. You can see from the photo that the material has already stretched fairly smooth.

ThomasT
Benchrest X25A.jpg

Hello everyone,

The Naugahyde material pulled down really nice and smooth and it is now all stapled in place and cut to size. Tomorrow I will get the Cap Rail installed which will cover up the edge face of the Naugahyde and it will be much stronger and look better. This has been a fun project and should make the outdoor shooting much better.

ThomasT
Benchrest X26A.jpg
Benchrest X27.jpg

Hello everyone,

Well I had a brain fart while at the lumber yard, I bought two 6-foot pieces of trim instead of 8-foot. So I wound up short 2-pieces and will have to complete the Benchrest on Monday. Then I can round off all of the corners and re-stain those areas. I am anxious to get this moved out to the porch and do a bit of shooting.

ThomasT
Benchrest X28A.jpg

Reactions: Fixedflinger
@ThomasT that really looks great man, wish I had rhose fundamental skills with wood.
Hello @Larcat

Thank you it is not a piece of furniture so it looks better in a photo. Looking forward to having you do some Benchrest shooting on it. If the weather holds this week I plan to get it set up on the porch.

ThomasT

Hello @Larcat

Thank you it is not a piece of furniture so it looks better in a photo. Looking forward to having you do some Benchrest shooting on it. If the weather holds this week I plan to get it set up on the porch.

ThomasT
Got my new rings put on the 1720t and the scope levelled last night. It's a fun gun to shoot, and will be a nice place to re-zero it.

I also ordered a mess of ammo for the L2 so if people want to run through some mags they're welcome to. Not exsctly a tack driver, but accurate enough and a bunch of fun. Might have the Behemoth by then as well which should be fun to play with. Brian and company at edgun west are saying early to mid Nov, so.

Reactions: ThomasT
Got my new rings put on the 1720t and the scope levelled last night. It's a fun gun to shoot, and will be a nice place to re-zero it.

I also ordered a mess of ammo for the L2 so if people want to run through some mags they're welcome to. Not exsctly a tack driver, but accurate enough and a bunch of fun. Might have the Behemoth by then as well which should be fun to play with. Brian and company at edgun west are saying early to mid Nov, so.
Hey again @Larcat

I will have all four target frames set up with practice targets when ya'll arrive so you can get set up and sight in your equipment.

ThomasT

Hello everyone,

I decided to build another Benchrest to be used for the upcoming East Texas Benchrest Challenge.
Schedule for November 19th, starting at 9:30 and shoot until we are out of either targets or pellets :ROFLMAO:
I completed the top frame today and hope to have it ready to Stain by tomorrow.

ThomasT
View attachment 302157
That looks really good I'm looking forward to trying it out soon!

Hello everyone,

OK now have all of the frame completed except for some sanding, apply some stain and then install the top. Boy this treated lumber is as heavy as cement :p , the good news is that the Benchrest will be so heavy it will not move making it really stable.

ThomasT
View attachment 302354
I mean that's EXACTLY what you want with a good bench! For it to NOT move! It sure would be a problem if it moved every time you wiggled or the wind blew!
Hello everyone,

Well I had a brain fart while at the lumber yard, I bought two 6-foot pieces of trim instead of 8-foot. So I wound up short 2-pieces and will have to complete the Benchrest on Monday. Then I can round off all of the corners and re-stain those areas. I am anxious to get this moved out to the porch and do a bit of shooting.

ThomasT
View attachment 303437
Tc I gotta say, that's probably the nicest 'shooting bench' that I have ever seen. It sure beats the heck out of the old half tore up one that I use at the deer lease. It's only saving grace is that it has one of those thick rubber trailer mats as a table top (the ones you can get at tractor supply) that's a pretty dang good material to 'get steady' on. Works good for both air rifles and powder burners.

I mean that's EXACTLY what you want with a good bench! For it to NOT move! It sure would be a problem if it moved every time you wiggled or the wind blew!

Tc I gotta say, that's probably the nicest 'shooting bench' that I have ever seen. It sure beats the heck out of the old half tore up one that I use at the deer lease. It's only saving grace is that it has one of those thick rubber trailer mats as a table top (the ones you can get at tractor supply) that's a pretty dang good material to 'get steady' on. Works good for both air rifles and powder burners.
Hello @hgatesm

Thank you. That treated lumber is really heavy and should last for a long time.

ThomasT

Hello @beerthief

As you can see getting the Benchrest out of the basement shop was fairly easy. Other than this thing weighing a ton, it was simply opening both of the shop doors and rolling it into place. This Benchrest lines up with my indoor Benchrest so the distance out to the targets are the same.

ThomasT
Benchrest X29.jpg