East Texas Shooters?

Oh, nice! Liking it down here so far, food is great and the people are nice. Still trying to figure out where I'm gunna squirrel and rabbit.

Have a good saturday.
Hello again @Larcat

There is some really good hunting just north of Orange in the Big Thicket National Preserve and the permits are free. Check with the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Also check with several of the local Real Estate agents and ask if they have any Farm Owners that allow or offer a cheap lease for hunting. I use to own property up near Woodville and it was some really great hunting year around. Use to be that a lot of the rice farmers over in the Winnie and Fannett area offered leases and that is some GREAT hog hunting.

ThomasT

Hello again @Larcat

There is some really good hunting just north of Orange in the Big Thicket National Preserve and the permits are free. Check with the Texas Parks and Wildlife. Also check with several of the local Real Estate agents and ask if they have any Farm Owners that allow or offer a cheap lease for hunting. I use to own property up near Woodville and it was some really great hunting year around. Use to be that a lot of the rice farmers over in the Winnie and Fannett area offered leases and that is some GREAT hog hunting.

ThomasT
Thank you for the tips, I appreciate it. I have been eyeing Big Thicket. Need to do some scouting but from the arial photos, Lance Rosier looks like it might be good for small game. Kinda wondering if the north bit of Blue Elbow/Tony Houserman might be good as well.

An inexpensive lease JUST for squirrel and rabbit would be best though.

Reactions: ThomasT
If you all are going to do an East Texas meet up, give me a holler. Schedule permitting I'd make the trek up.
Hello @Larcat

OK that sounds good you are added to the list. I am probably the center location for all included with @hgatesm located North of me and you to the South. I will send you a PM.

ThomasT

Reactions: hgatesm and Larcat
I live in or just east of Jacksonville, Occasionally do relief work in Carthage or Tatum as a pharmacist. My airgun shooting is in my backyard. When I travel that far to shoot it is to the East Texas Rifle and Pistol club, just south of I 20 near Longview to shoot my powder burners.
Hello @jkingrph

You are located just North and West of me, I am just east of Lufkin.

ThomasT

Reactions: hgatesm
Hello everyone,

I decided to build another Benchrest to be used for the upcoming East Texas Benchrest Challenge.
Schedule for November 19th, starting at 9:30 and shoot until we are out of either targets or pellets :ROFLMAO:
I completed the top frame today and hope to have it ready to Stain by tomorrow.

ThomasT
Benchrest X2.jpg

Hello everyone,

OK now have all of the frame completed except for some sanding, apply some stain and then install the top. Boy this treated lumber is as heavy as cement :p , the good news is that the Benchrest will be so heavy it will not move making it really stable.

ThomasT
Benchrest X21.jpg

Reactions: hgatesm
Now all you need to do is level the ground and pour cement base ?😎
Hello beerthief,

This will go on my back porch which is cement so I am ready. I will stain it with Black Walnut later on this morning and it will look better. I love the dark stain because it protects the wood and most important, it hides all of my bad work :rolleyes:

ThomasT

Reactions: beerthief
Man, that looks awesome. Way more square and plumb than the storage chest I built last weekend :D
Hello @Larcat
Not sure how square it is but it should work just fine for the outdoor Benchrest. Hope to be able to turn it right side up tomorrow when the stain has dried and get some measurements for the top material.

ThomasT
Benchrest X23.jpg