Easier Hammer Spring Adjustment on VULCAN 3

If you own a AGT Vulcan 3, you’ve probably wished that adjusting the hammer spring didn’t require taking the stock off of the gun to get to the adjuster and the locking screw. Even before I bought my 700mm .22 V3, I had a pretty good idea of a mod I wanted to try. Some of you guys might want to give this one a whirl.

Exterior access to the 5mm hex fitting for the hammer spring adjuster is simple. With the stock removed, just lower the rubber butt pad and measure about ½” above the top Phillips head screw ( c to c). Drill a small pilot hole through the hard black plastic, into the wood and all the way through where it lines up with the spot where the hammer adjustment screw will be. Once you’re satisfied with the location of the hole, step up your drill bit size until you’re a tad larger than 5mm. The photo shows the butt pad lowered and a hex key sticking into the adjustment hole. That’s it.

The hammer spring locking screw is a little tougher to access so I gave up on the idea of leaving it on the underneath side of the HS adjuster. I drilled and tapped a new location for it on the left side of the receiver. The metal casting at that point is very thick and there’s enough meat to tap just about any size hole you want, I chose an 8-32 and used a nylon tipped Allen head screw just over ¼” long. You can see in the photo, I chose to locate it just below the stock line, that’s where I believed the metal was the thickest. To do it, I had to drill at a downward slant to hit the HS adjuster flush. It also meant I had to Dremel away part of the stock to access it. Not a big deal but some of you fellas may have a better idea.

That’s all there is to this modification. Now, to adjust my hammer spring I just loosen the locking screw on the left side, lower the butt pad and use a 5mm Allen to raise or lower the HS tension to my liking, tighten it all back up and I’m done. It’s not just for convenience though, It’s almost impossible to do a power adjustment for accuracy if the stock is off of the gun. When you do that, the rifle isn’t in the state of harmonic balance it normally would be in. The Vulcan 3 is an incredibly accurate gun and, for me, it made zeroing it in 5 to 10fps at a time a lot less time consuming. Hope you guys can get some use out of this mod!

Cheers,

Glenn in Texas
IMG_0027.jpg

I agree with you guys. $1800 guns need to have a lot more adjustability if you're going to compete in today's marketplace. I will say this about the gun, once you overcome this one problem, it's very easy to adjust at the shooting range and it turns into a beast. My 700mm .22 is shooting FX Hybrids at 1037fps (130 bar) and turns in sub moa groups all day long at 50 yards, many around 1/4". I'm new at shooting slugs and didn't expect performance like this so soon.

Glenn in Texas

Remove the hammer spring adjuster's locking grub screw and toss it as far as possible.
Put a dab of Permatex Ultra Black RTV on the adjuster threads, screw it back in and let it set.
You'll still be able to adjust the hammer spring but the RTV will put enough drag on it to prevent it moving on it's own.
Put the cap back on the RTV and store it in your freezer to prevent it hardening until you need it again.

Reactions: darylm