Early Morning Squirrel Hunt w/.25 EDgun Lelya 2.0

I was able to get out a after dawn. Once I finished a cup of coffee, I went back out into the thicket where I spotted and lost the squirrel yesterday and went into the woods a bit. In a mostly young tree stand I began glassing the canopy with my binos. 
8C710348-9B46-4E86-A00A-A2D568DC7D01.1635181958.jpeg

Maybe 15-20 minutes in I heard a few squirrels moving through the trees coming from different areas. It wasn’t long before I spotted one about 30 yards out headed towards me. I set my scope magnification on 5x and tracked him with it. As I’m adjusting the parallax knob he takes to a young oak about 5 yards in front of me and he begins climbing up. Now I’m tracking him vertically from a kneeling position and he just kept climbing. When he sat still long enough I took a shot and hit a branch. Cocked and lined up my next shot and *thud,* I hit the body and he made a faint squeak/bark before he started falling over. He hind foot grabbed the branch swinging him back and forth once or twice sending him tumbling down. By the time I made my way through the vines he was not moving. 

33C580AF-FB76-42AC-B1FE-315409E3D2F4.1635182422.jpeg

The next gray came along in a similar fashion within 4-7 mins, but she was a lot tougher. Caught her near a crotch in an oak probably 20-23 yards away and traveling towards me. I may have shot her about 12 yards out and hit her in the body. I heard the pellet hit, and she scooted into the crotch around some vines and the main branch. All that was visible at that point was her tail. I thought, “Damn, don’t die in the tree.” I then moved around a little and saw her hind quarters. I kept moving hoping to see the back of her head when she fell over and grabbed a vine with her back foot. She held on for a little while then I heard her falling. The shot entered her side and lodged in her intestines. When I got to her she was still alive. She wasn’t moving, only trying to breathe. I tried to end it with a head shot and she was still breathing afterwards. I felt like crap. I took my knife and cut her throat hoping it would end it soon for her. I hate having to do that because it isn’t quick enough.

When you guys post about how tough squirrels are and how many shots they can take, I didn’t quite understand. Now I have some experience to apply to my target practice. This was NOTHING like punching paper. Shots came from completely different angles, with branches in the way, and they don’t sit still too long. I learned a few things this morning. All in all it was an educational first successful squirrel hunt (edited to add this detail. I don’t want people thinking I had the best luck my first time out). I’d gone out a couple times before in the evening and barely saw about three squirrels that didn’t stop moving. One day I went out to observe and another to hunt. I definitely didn’t have an opportunity to take any shots the other times out. So I’ve found (and read) that mornings are better. After this I imagine there will be many more to follow. 

58D0E864-B623-4A3F-B600-19499E525E97.1635182587.jpeg

Gear: .25 Edgun Lelya 2.0, Midway single point sling, Vector Veyron 4-12x FFP scope, shooting .25 JSB Match Diabolo King 25.3 grain pellets. The Lelya is currently tuned to shoot these at about 775 fps. 

D5AE96AA-71A6-4D0A-AA0B-011E66C0FF49.1635188846.jpeg

Nice shooting, hunt and photos on those two grays with your Leyla! Shooting on steep inclines and declines and distances sometimes through branches takes time getting used to the different hold overs and unders.

@Ranchibi Thanks. Yes that angle was very different, but thankfully I was able to make a correction within one shot. It’s definitely going to take some getting used to. I was actually surprised because my Brocock has been getting the majority of my attention lately. I’m not too confident shooting the Lelya outside of 25 yards as far as grouping goes. However, I can say that I’ve noticed that the majority of my first shots during target practice are pretty close to where I’m aiming from about 25-30 yards and under. It seems that that sort of consistency translates to hunting where ideally I only need one shot, so that works for me. Although I still have room for improvement. 

Nice, nothing like hunting squirrel early in the morning.

@Nutcracker For sure. Glassing was very relaxing, as you probably know from your hunts. It was peaceful, the weather was nice, and it’s always nice to come home with something. 

#3 for the day. I was working and saw this one on the ground. When it saw me it hopped onto a pine tree trunk. I turned to go grab Lelya. I adjusted the parallax below 15 yards as walked back. When i was in view of the tree I looked up and saw her on a branch near the trunk staring at me. I flip my scope caps up, took aim at her head and let it fly. The impact sounded louder than the shot. She flew off of the branch and hit the ground doing the headbanger boogie. I don’t think she flopped for 15 seconds. It was the perfect opportunity and a well placed shot. One shot between the eyes and she was done. Shot from about 10 yards away from the tree trunk and she was about 25 feet up at best. She’s ready to be dressed. This one looks like a red squirrel or possibly a hybrid. Good looking specimen. 
45E6BBC9-D909-4119-8F11-16C446281BB6.1635199725.jpeg

Took the shot from about the same distance as the place I stood when I took this picture. The squirrel was where the arrow is pointing. This is one of my best placed headshots with a pellet rifle. 

62FE58A4-C4A5-4E2A-B80D-0A660057DCE2.1635200510.jpeg

Close-up of the headshot

89805E37-4B16-4B4F-AA51-BB885AEC5328.1635204545.jpeg

Sucks to be a squirrel in your hood. Hope it is not just killing for fun. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just can't kill anything that isn't a threat to me. I see a lot of dead things on here and it just doesn't feel good to me. Hunting for food or pest control, I get it. I have a lot of little critters where I live, and I enjoy watching them frolic around my property. 

Honestly, since I've been competition shooting, I just feel like rabbits and such are way to easy of targets to just shoot them. I know I'm probably upsetting some people on here, but that's not my intention. I'm about to shoot my first field target match and I suppose that is as close to real hunting as it will get for me. As long as Walmart still has meat on the shelf, I'm going to refrain from killing, but if a good squirrel stew is what you like more power to you. How about a real challenge and hunt some carpenter ants

Sucks to be a squirrel in your hood. Hope it is not just killing for fun. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, I just can't kill anything that isn't a threat to me. I see a lot of dead things on here and it just doesn't feel good to me. Hunting for food or pest control, I get it. I have a lot of little critters where I live, and I enjoy watching them frolic around my property. 

I hunt, fish, cook, and eat some of what I kill and catch. I also share with others. I make it a point to not waste meat aside from pest animals or other predators. It doesn’t always work out that way. I don’t enjoy watching animals suffer, but hunting involves death and it’s often not perfect or pretty. This is the nature of the hunt in my eyes. I have opinions on the subject that I will refrain from posting, but I can say that my actions reflect my thinking. Thanks for taking a look and commenting. 
B252DBA1-25EB-438A-8E00-142560586C34.1635225082.jpeg

Thanks for getting back to me. I think it's great that you have that attitude. I am not looking to make any enemies on here. I guess a part of me is I feel a responsibility to be respectful of this wonderful world we have to live on, and since I am really new on here and to airgunning in general, and I am certainly no one to be judging others, I'm hoping for the best from my fellow gunners. I am the most picky eater you have ever met, so I do not hunt but I do have the utmost respect for those who do. I don't have the stomach for what you had to do today, so props to you my friend. I hope if the cows all disappear, I have some friends like you. If you need something fixed or built, I'm your guy. For me the challenge of making the rifle perform better as well as myself is the fun part. I am enjoying outshooting the comp with the entry level Benjamin freehand off a bipod. No machines to point and shoot for me.