Early morning hunter field target part 2, a black and silver event!

Finally got the Rowan hamster I ordered for my Thomas Friday so got Pepe (my black and silver Thomas) all dressed up for today’s local club FT match. I printed a shelf for the hamster and glued on a piece of foam last night so this morning I got up to put Pepe into the case. As a habit I checked my oak tree for squirrels and to my surprised there was an orange fur ball running up and down the tree. Whoa?!?!? Couldn’t believe my luck!!!

Grabbed Pepe, put a Hades pellet into the chamber and peaked around the corner of the house. The tree rat clearly saw me and looked alerted, it was running through the trees only pause to flick its tails for a second or 2. After about a minute it found a Y in the branch it felt safe to paused in order to assess my intent…..fatal mistake! Didn’t go for a head shot because of no back stop but rest of the body has a big branch behind. 

I had to contain my excitement, ranged it at 28 yards with my parallax wheel so doesn’t need any hold over. It was quartered towards me, I put the center dot on the right shoulder which should thread through the vitals from that angle. Took a deep breath and squeezed Pepe’s lovely trigger, watched the Hades pallet hit the should where I aimed with a rather muted thud. What happened after the hit was interesting/different: the roof eater literally just folded forward but the rear paw/claw held onto the branch and it hung there and shook/twitch for about 5-6 seconds like it got hit with a brain shot, usually a vital shot they would either jump or fall down but never had one that held on like that. Super happy with the shot, I hurried to cooped it up in a flower pot to put it away and went went to the match. 

Got home this afternoon from the match and took a closer look at the tree rat, found the pellet just under the skin at the left side(opposite) just behind the armpit area, since it hit the shoulder square on the pellet has major deformation and most likely tumbled through the vital. The pellet indeed threaded through the vital properly, It didn’t move an inch from where it landed, just twitched for a few seconds.

Here is Pepe all dressed up with its first lead buffet customer, Qballs’s all you can eat lead buffet has gone formal/high class. Should I change the name to something more formal like Qball’s lead bistro instead? 🤣

1AB411D5-1DB2-4799-83C3-E1B287AFB2E2.1653275770.jpeg

Very mangled Hades pellet shot at 720fps or 11.9FPE:

30D43784-0B07-4898-A3B3-358BCF9DC457.1653275868.jpeg
C54E3207-F113-47DB-84DE-14FBB22D2867.1653275869.jpeg

What a great day, I even did pretty well at my first WFTF match. Would of done really well wasn’t for my weak area which is off hand shooting, need to work on that!

A44A0399-6892-41FD-B6FA-E74298CC168A.1653276245.gif

@qball Entertaining story. Waiting to see photos of your Thomas. I didn’t realize you’d gone black tie on us. Did you place in any categories in your competition? Did you photograph the recovered Hades?

yes I placed dead last in the WFTF category today, depends on how you look at it I was second place since there were only 2 of us. 🤣

yes, I got pictures of the hades and it was mangled! Will keep trying to upload pictures, hope it will work soon. 

@qball Unless it was a complete wipe out, I don’t really see how you could feel bad about placing second/dead last. 😅😅 As long as you enjoy yourself, learn, and improve that’s what it’s really about, at least in my thinking. In these sort of small matches are the other more seasoned competitors pretty friendly in giving tips to new competitors based upon their observation of the new guy’s performance?

@qball Unless it was a complete wipe out, I don’t really see how you could feel bad about placing second/dead last.
1f605.svg
1f605.svg
As long as you enjoy yourself, learn, and improve that’s what it’s really about, at least in my thinking. In these sort of small matches are the other more seasoned competitors pretty friendly in giving tips to new competitors based upon their observation of the new guy’s performance?

fortunately I did surprisingly well on the course, I did however put in far more effort with the Thomas than any other gun setup. I even spent 3 hours doing and redoing my range tape, proud to say I only missed 2 shots thanks to bad ranging which is user error and my DOPE was spot on once ranging is correct which I also spend good amount of time validating. Still learning the wind but the 10.3 grain pellet is very forgiving, scored 47 out of 60 with 6 shots missed at the freehand lane, OUCH!!! But I know for sure it’s completely my fault if I miss…..minus a few shots the wind switched as I squeezed the trigger. That’s my excuse and I’m sticking to it. 😂 the other WFTF shooter was very seasoned but thanks to bad luck with the wind he only beats me by 2. 

Like you said it’s all for fun, I treat shooting like golfing and fishing…..all for entertainment cause god knows I’ll be on the streets if I do them for a living.