DYI Pellet Trap/Target

I saw this done for archery and decided to try it for pellets. I had a bunch of the Harbor Freight Fatigue mats that were 22" square after cutting off the puzzle pieces.

Materials List:
20 Harbor Fright Fatigue mats
4 3/8"x3' all thread
8 3/8" nylock nuts
8 3/8" flat ashers
1 12"x1"x48" pine board
Cut the fatigue mats in half after cutting the puzzle pieces off which gives a 22x11 pieces
cut the 12x1x48 into 2 24" pieces
drilled holes in each corner of the 2 boards
Put a washer and nut on the end of the 4 all thread rods
put the all thread rods with the nuts and washers through one of the boards with the rods sticking up
stack the cut fatigue mats on the bottom board
put the top board on and secure it with the remaining nuts and washers.
I squeezed the stack of mats down about an inch to compress them
You can either cut off the extra all thread or do as I did and flip it over and use the remaining all thread as legs.

To further refine it I covered the all thread with 1/2" PVC and made a base and some back extensions to stabilize it, mine sits on a hill.
tempImage0XurjH.jpg

The green things are 3d printed pins to hold the paper on the target. Shot my .22 break barrel at it from less. than 5' and the foam pads stopped it.

I saw this done for archery and decided to try it for pellets. I had a bunch of the Harbor Freight Fatigue mats that were 22" square after cutting off the puzzle pieces.

Materials List:
20 Harbor Fright Fatigue mats
4 3/8"x3' all thread
8 3/8" nylock nuts
8 3/8" flat ashers
1 12"x1"x48" pine board
Cut the fatigue mats in half after cutting the puzzle pieces off which gives a 22x11 pieces
cut the 12x1x48 into 2 24" pieces
drilled holes in each corner of the 2 boards
Put a washer and nut on the end of the 4 all thread rods
put the all thread rods with the nuts and washers through one of the boards with the rods sticking up
stack the cut fatigue mats on the bottom board
put the top board on and secure it with the remaining nuts and washers.
I squeezed the stack of mats down about an inch to compress them
You can either cut off the extra all thread or do as I did and flip it over and use the remaining all thread as legs.

To further refine it I covered the all thread with 1/2" PVC and made a base and some back extensions to stabilize it, mine sits on a hill.
View attachment 387696

The green things are 3d printed pins to hold the paper on the target. Shot my .22 break barrel at it from less. than 5' and the foam pads stopped it.
@Gramps - what's that very cool pellet stop / target backer weigh in at?

I've tried a lot of different target boxes over the years. I finally found that a nice portable and quiet pellet trap is nothing but a large shoe box stuffed with old clothes that I pick up at a second hand store for nothing. I hold it together with packing tape or painters tape, which ever is handy at the time. The cloth last a long time and stops most pellet in the first inch or so. I do keep a piece of 3/4" plywood behind it just in case.

I've tried a lot of different target boxes over the years. I finally found that a nice portable and quiet pellet trap is nothing but a large shoe box stuffed with old clothes that I pick up at a second hand store for nothing. I hold it together with packing tape or painters tape, which ever is handy at the time. The cloth last a long time and stops most pellet in the first inch or so. I do keep a piece of 3/4" plywood behind it just in case.
The one I have in the basement is full of old towels. I wanted something for outside that the weather wouldn't bother. I also had another one outside that was bigger and filled with mulch. Worked well until the tote got brittle which didn't take that long. The issue with the mulch filled backstops is that you need some way to keep the mulch in when you shoot the front full of holes.

The one I have in the basement is full of old towels. I wanted something for outside that the weather wouldn't bother. I also had another one outside that was bigger and filled with mulch. Worked well until the tote got brittle which didn't take that long. The issue with the mulch filled backstops is that you need some way to keep the mulch in when you shoot the front full of holes.
I have the same backstop it's a plastic tote with a lid full of mulch. That's definitely an issue when the mulch falls as you shoot away at the plastic lid the way I have solved for that is by stapling a rubber floor mat to the lid. The rubber mat is a lot more forgiving when a pellet goes through it, it closes up. This isn't permanent as in due time I will need to replace the rug but I have found it to work pretty well.