• The AGN App is ready! To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Durable scope for magnum springers?

I use Hawke Airmax scopes on a R-9 and HW97 with no problems,,,,Yes on the old Bushnell Legend Scope,and all the Elite.

I think the old Bushnell Elite scopes stand out....their Elite pistol scope is well known as a top performer.

Price point becomes a factor,Elite keep their value,Hawke Airmax are usually less and the old Bushnells can be a great deals,though they are hard to find. Used prices because the scopes I like are older models.

I would not trust the Vantage on any higher power springer.

I Used to have good luck with drum roll ,CenterPoint,,,I know ,but days ago they all worked on my springers;nowadays seems like they went poo poo....also BSA was always hit or miss,mainly miss....

My Bushnell Japanese Legend stood up to my RWS 52....enough said.

The swfa is hard to beat. This 10x has been on the scope killer D-54 7 years and no problem. Swfa ask no questions as to what scope was mounted on. If and when it break they will replace with no questions asked. 
IMG_20181108_170119_03.1616078978.jpg

How does one determine if a utg scope is a true strength model?

That's an excellent question! I've looked a the full line of Leapers scopes and the " true strength " label is listed in their " other features " description. It's not the name of the scope. The "True Hunter" series are listed as true strength models. Mine is a UTG Hunter IR 3-9X40mm AO but it still says it's a true strength in the description under " other features ". Hope that makes sense ?

How does one determine if a utg scope is a true strength model?

If they're nice, it will say something like "Built on the True Strength Platform" in the description but if in doubt you can always check their website:

https://leapers.com/

For the little it's worth, I have 5 German's and 4 wear Hawke Airmax scopes (I haven't scoped the 5th yet): HW95 .22, Beeman R9 .20, Beeman R7 .20 and a Diana D34k Premium .20.

Buy what you want or what appears will fit your needs, just make sure it has a Lifetime Warranty. Might also consider Etched Glass reticles. At least for me, they seem to be one of the keys to scope longevity on my springers, since they all have etched glass and I've never returned one.

If you are shooting a true monster break barrel, something 27 fpe or more, nothing will last 30,000 rounds. Best advice I can give you is keep it simple and light weight so it doesn’t easily slip in the rings, and choose the most quality you can afford. And while you are paying for that quality, remember to get a good warranty.

Actually If it were me, I would just put a 2-7x32 Hawke Airmax on there and call it good. It’s a quality optic, durable, and you can afford to replace down the line.

Chances are you’ll never see 30,000 rounds on a true magnum anyway. They are not that fun to shoot.

For a time I used UTG’s plain old 4x32 with the fixed 30m parallax exclusively on all my spring guns. Early on in the addiction that is. It will get the job done cheap, and definitely outlast any scope that comes bundled with a big magnum breakbarrel. On a .25 Walther Talon Mag that pushed 34 fpe with the right pellet, I never had a problem with the old 4x32 UTG. But I don’t thing I ever shot more than 3,000 rounds through it.

I think a lot of people overlook the weight of their scopes. The more powerful and light that your breakbarrel is, the lighter you want that scope to be. At some point, the whiplash is so strong, a heavy scope will eventually slip in any set of rings.

I know there are those special mounts these days that don’t transfer recoil, by Diana and Sportsmatch, but I never used them.

With a big heavy breaker with that much power you probably won’t want to lug it around with 2+ pounds of optics anyway. Vs a more simple scope with fewer features to potentially fail, at about a pound or less in weight. Balances out nicely on a powerful gun like the Talon Mag, simple 4x32 puts the overall weight around 9 pounds.

Newer wood guns like the 135, a bit more lol.

When you said magnum I thought you meant a real nasty one. Not a 34!

I ran just a field and stream branded shotgun scope on a 34 for about* 2-3 years, never had a problem. It was my only airgun for a little while and about all I shot.* Probably the absolutely best glass I have seen on a scope under $40. Great little cheap scope, “shock proof to 500 G’s”.

*edited because I exaggerated and had to check myself hehe.

Lol. No worries @bryanH It'll be Friday soon if not already where you may be. Gotta have a lil fun. 

Also have a Diana 48 and 350 N-tec magnum to scope up. Initially asked to see what scopes work for you all out there. Options are good esp if it strikes a balance with some newer offerings that may be better investments across the line of tools in my collection.

Well, happy Friday! y'all. Been a long week.