dumb question I think

I want to be sure I understand things to this point at least:

Nitrogen tanks-- the tank you rent/buy/however you get it must be rated at and filled to 6000PSI, correct?

it seems like if you get it filled to 6000 and fill something at 4500- the amount that is left in the tank and unusable could be significant waste?

am I thinking correctly?

Well just depends. A 480 cf 6000 psi n2 cylinder will top off a 30 minute scba from 3500 to 4500 psi maybe 10 times. If you continue to top off to say 4000 psi you will get maybe another 5 or 6 depending on your gun, each top off might fill the gun 4 or 5 times? Refill cylinders use to be about 80$ but my supplier rose the price on them so I started front loading the N2 into a YH back in May/2020, and I have yet to run the cylinder down below 1000 psi and I can’t count how many top off’s that has got me, maybe 15 or so.

The downside is the investment in regulators, fittings, hoses, oil and of course the YH. But the air is dry and it is super convenient on a fresh cylinder and you know your not pumping a bunch of crud into your rifle. Search my post to see how I did it, and it doesn’t have to be a YH, it can be any compressor or even a booster.

I use N2 @6000 psi bought the Joe B gauges for both N2 tank and my SCBA bottle ends up at about $500.00 there are cheaper ways to do it I believe. Airgas does keep playing price games (N2 fee, delivery fee, and yearly tank rental) and many times will only deliver to a commercial address. You can dicker with them to get the price down. If you buy a tank to tank booster about $800 you can get a lot out of the N2 tank. I just ordered the Altaros Advanced version and I am not sure I will keep using N2 in the future.