Duct seal pellet trap vs rubber mulch?

I used to make traps with old magazines, newspapers and cardboard pieces etc. I placed these quite compacted in a cardboard box and tape it up. I had yet to get a pellet through one. However, after … shots you have to toss it and make another. I decided to use a container (yellow cover) bought from Home Depot and filled with 2 bags of rubber mulch. I had placed a 1/2" plywood backing prior to putting the mulch in it. Once I cover it, I took the "office" type carpet and made 2 layers which I screwed to the cover as the backing for my target. It has some weight to it but I used a hand truck to move it around. This has been the best for me so far. 

Stay safe,

Funshine

I liberated a shipping box from the post office, about 3 inches thick. Filled with mulch (I hate the duct seal, too messy). It's plenty as I only shoot pistols with no more than 6fpe, so no problem stopping the pellets.

I prefer the mulch because you can just add more when it breaks down. If you want to sort the lead out (I did this recently), take a handful, drop it in a large plastic bowl, shake it so the lead drops to the bottom, scoop the mulch off the top and pour the lead in another bowl. Kind of like panning for gold, except not nearly as valuable.

Just me, but it works in my world

I built a rubber mulch trap from a 1" x 12" pine board. I use corrugated plastic (think election yard sign) for the target backer. It gets taped up until there isn't enough structure to hold back the mulch. It has a handle and hinged area at the top. It works great for me, and I sort the pellets when it gets heavy, then refill with the mulch and top it off with the extra I had left from my original bag.

I looked around for a cheap way to build a good trap. Finally came up with something I could live with.
30 gallon galvanized trash can stuffed with used shrink wrap. I used a 12 pound sledge hammer to compact it.
Laid on it’s side it provides a large area to shoot into and over 2’ of material to trap any projectile I am going to shoot into it.
My Maverick 22 slug gun is running about 58 FP. It won’t make it half way through. My 25 cal compact gets less penetration at 44.5 FP.

Both the rubber mulch and duct seal traps werq very well.
I prefer the Duct seal for indoors as the rubber mulch smells like rubber.
Never had a pellet go through any of my 5lb bricks of Duct seal even at over 100fpe. Still my oak box did split after many years of use so now I just stack the bricks up in the corner.

Get a steel trap. I have the Champion steel trap.

Two quiet the trap down when the pellet strikes place the duct seal on the BACK and OUTSIDE of the trap. You will obviously have to take the duct seal out of the wrapper to get it to stick and not slide down the back of the trap.

Get enough duct seal to cover the entire surface area on the back of the trap.

Trust me on this. You will be amazed at how much quieter the trap is.

When the trap gets full, I dump the pellets out of the hole on the side of the trap. With lead and duct seal it can get heavy but the reduced decibels are worth it.

In addition, I save the lead to melt down into round balls for my black powder guns.

I have used rubber mulch for 4yrs now , started with cardboard boxes but they don't hold up outside , my last one that's still in use I made out of 1/2 inch plywood 20 x 20 x 20 inch thick , after a couple of months I stapled those plast>c campaign signs over the front , works great so far , I shoot big bores with 250+ fpe and no pass through yet my backstop is a compost box made out of 18 gage corrugated sheet metal 5 feet by 3ft tall so even if I do get a pass through on the mulch the slug ain't going anywhere.

Reactions: DarkWolf
I would prefer to be able to easy retrieve the lead from the box, so at the moment i use a cardboard box with some clothe in it i have outgrown, there also is a piece of steel at the back of the box, and it is easy to hear if you "drill" a place in the cloth you have drilled before, and this work okay and are okay quiet in my apartment living room.
The box are additionally backed by a large cardboard box ( 3 x 3 x 1 feet ) that are filled with cardboard, and if thats not enough i do have my Bose 601 speakers between all that and the living room wall.

I am still somewhat torn on what to do with the pellet trap i will make for our 50 M range, i do know i want a angled steel plate to take the brunt of the hit and deflect the lead down, but then down there i cant figure out if i will use a layer of sand to catch the lead, or go for rubber mulch or something else .
It dont have to be low noise at my friends place, though if we get our hands on a thin steel plate i am going to back it with something to dampen the impact of the lead on it.

When i shoot my .177 hot ( heavy slugs fast ), i do get just past 40 ftlbs

duct seal works fine, but if you hit the same hole 8 times in a couple seconds, they will get through...2 layers of duct seal
20210809_193524.jpg
holyCapture.JPG

then through the steel sheeting
and into the wood behind it...

20210809_193350.jpg

Reactions: DarkWolf