• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

Dry firing....is it bad for a PCP?

I have been tinkering with these things for almost 10 years now and can't think of anything that could be damaged by dry firing. You are dropping the same hammer with the same spring against the same valve.
Air pressure is helping or not helping the valve return spring. Overtravel can be bad, if the design allows overtravel.

Reactions: Feinwerk
Pardini K-12 has a true Dry-Fire mode, in which you cock the pistol, move the Safety selector up past the Safe position, and dry-fire. This method lets the trigger work as in normal use, but the air system is not used. I don’t know if other Olympic type pcp’s have this feature, mainly because I have never shot any other air pistols.
It is a neat feature, but since I shoot in my garage, I have rarely used it.

Pardini K-12 has a true Dry-Fire mode, in which you cock the pistol, move the Safety selector up past the Safe position, and dry-fire. This method lets the trigger work as in normal use, but the air system is not used. I don’t know if other Olympic type pcp’s have this feature, mainly because I have never shot any other air pistols.
It is a neat feature, but since I shoot in my garage, I have rarely used it.
Most, if not all, ISSF 10m pistols and rifles have a dry-fire capability. But that is entirely a function for training shooting technique without the "disturbance" of a shot. Dry-firing is very revealing. Even though the recoil from a ISSF 10m gun is quite negligible, it's still enough to mask errors the shooter makes.

Last edited:
Reactions: HajjitheDoberman
I try not to ever dry fire my pcps without any air in them, or even very low air. As long as they have 100bar or so, I'm ok with it. I have accidentally fired guns while working on them with no air in them and it won't hurt them in almost any case I'm aware of, but continued firing without air definitely will damage a lot of the firing valves in a lot of guns, so I'd avoid it. Let's face it, why take the chance?
Now, if you have air in the gun and you can't decock it, it will never hurt a thing. I don't do it all day long, but I do it from time to time, and no ill effects yet in many, many pcps.

Dry firing damage is a myth.
The same amount of hammer pin strike on the valve pin at whatever bar pressure is the same whether or not a pellet is sat in the breech.
The air expels quicker through the barrel without a pellet.
The myth comes from break barrel Springers.
Without a pellet in the breech the plunger shoots forward slightly faster.
Like a bicycle pump either on or off a tire. But ive never heard anyone say that their Springer broke from dry firing either but I can't vouch for that.
PCP air rifles do not damage through dry firing.