Dry-Firing a PCP Rifle??

Think the only way which you can damage the impact by dryfire, is if you dryfire with to much hammer force, or below regpressure. But that will be the case if you shoot live also, with wrong settings. If the gun is new, and you have not adjusted anything yet on it, it should be fine to dryfire without damage. But if you start to adjust things on it, without having learned the proper way of tuning a rifle, you probably can damage it. If the gun is new I would not adjust anything on in yet, except maybe try some different settings on the big powerwheel. It should be setup good from factory.

I dryfire all my pcp, every time I shoot them. I first take one or two dryfire shots before inserting the magasine, so the regpressure is adjusted a litle bit, as it can climb a few bars if the gun has not been used a while. I also take one dryfire (always dryfire in a safe direction BTW) when I am finished shooting, and have taken my magasine out. Just to be sure there is no pellet left in the barrel.

I've never owned a PCP rifle that could be damaged by dry firing, assuming a reasonable amount of air in the reservoir. From the responses above, it seems that there might be a recommendation with some FX rifles not to dry fire with pressure below the reg set point. I've dry fired all my rifles with less pressure and without issue (not FX Impact).

Reactions: Ingwe
I've never owned a PCP rifle that could be damaged by dry firing, assuming a reasonable amount of air in the reservoir. From the responses above, it seems that there might be a recommendation with some FX rifles not to dry fire with pressure below the reg set point. I've dry fired all my rifles with less pressure and without issue (not FX Impact).
That is depends on how the rifle is tuned. If it is tuned with high regpressure/low hammer spring force, many guns are ok to be shot 10-20 bar below regpressure. But if you on a impact adjust it "wrong" with settings like almost no valve spring force, low regpressure, and high enough hammer strike so the gun pikes at top of the velocity curve, you are close to valve overtravel already.

I have put hundreds, if not thousands of shots through PCP's without any air at all in them when I am testing triggers that I have modified. Personally, I have never done any damage that I know of. I do not own an FX though.
I see no reason to abuse an expensive gun, to find out if it can be damaged or not. You may be able to do it on an FX also, I really do not know, but to what purpose? If one can afford an expensive gun, one should be able to afford having air in it also.
It is more common some use to high hammer force, and can not understand why the velocity drops as they increase powerwheel setting, as the valve bounce back faster than it normally would.

I see no reason to abuse an expensive gun, to find out if it can be damaged or not. You may be able to do it on an FX also, I really do not know, but to what purpose? If one can afford an expensive gun, one should be able to afford having air in it also.
It is more common some use to high hammer force, and can not understand why the velocity drops as they increase powerwheel setting, as the valve bounce back faster than it normally would.
I agree, the only expensive gun I have is a taipan veteran. Any gun that I’ve dry fired hundreds of shots through is most likely something I’ve built.