DRS Orion the Iguana Hunter Mini Magazine VS FX Mini Magazine

I've been shooting my 22 700 DRS for a while with the FX mini magazine and Orion mini magazine.

I find the FX mini magazine a real pain to load as the feeder is lower than the body of the magazine. It seems to feed fine but it has a bit of extra space around the H&N slugs.
Those little o-rings on the lid also make it difficult to load the magazine in the rifle.

20240414_194450.jpg

The Orion Magazine is way easier to load because the feeder is higher than the body of the magazine.

20240414_195031.jpg

20240414_195205.jpg

I also prefer the magnetic lid over the twist lock lid.
The Orion Magazine also loads into the rifle easily as it doesn't have o-rings.

20240414_200013.jpg

They both have enough room for the 34gr H&N Heavy slugs.

I have been using the Orion .25 caliber Impact magazines for a number of years so it was a no brainer to get the Orion Magazine for my DRS.

20240414_200920.jpg

Reactions: orion and Dairyboy
I have the larger Orion magazine and feel it actually fits the DRS the best! Those 2 o-rings on the new magazine makes it difficult to get it into the mag well, and the edge of the magazine does not sit flush with the left edge of the breech block, so even though it is fully seated, it doesn't look like it is. Both the large FX side-Shot mag and the Orion sit flush when fully seated. I have also found the larger FX side-shot mag to fit loose, to the point it will fall out if you tip the rifle to the right with the bolt pulled filly to the rear. I'm about to place another order for a couple more Orion mags since they seem to fit the best.

I see Orion is now offering a DRS mag. Anyone know what the difference is between it and the Mini Crown/Dreamline mag he offers?

Last edited:
I have the larger Orion magazine and feel it actually fits the DRS the best! Those 2 o-rings on the new magazine makes it difficult to get it into the mag well, and the edge of the magazine does not sit flush with the left edge of the breech block, so even though it is fully seated, it doesn't look like it is. Both the large FX side-Shot mag and the Orion sit flush when fully seated. I have also found the larger FX side-shot mag to fit loose, to the point it will fall out if you tip the rifle to the right with the bolt pulled filly to the rear. I'm about to place another order for a couple more Orion mags since they seem to fit the best.

I see Orion is now offering a DRS mag. Anyone know what the difference is between it and the Mini Crown/Dreamline mag he offers?
I noticed that Orion has a specific DRS magazine. The magazines I have are the Crown/ Dreamline mags.

It's the same, DRS version was just created to avoid confusion, it's the mini version for the wildcat/Maverick/Crown. I was just trying to avoid confusion when people try to order so they don't order something it wont fit. The Standard version will work with the DRS but not if you have the picatiny rail, so I don't explicitly offer it as DRS, because it might not work. And if the mini for the Maverick works for the DRS someone might think the standard will also work... and that's a maybe, too many variables so I think it's simpler to have a DRS version, but now you know it's the same mini Maverick version.... I was ahead of my time when I designed the Maverick Mini lol

Reactions: Impact701
It's the same, DRS version was just created to avoid confusion, it's the mini version for the wildcat/Maverick/Crown. I was just trying to avoid confusion when people try to order so they don't order something it wont fit. The Standard version will work with the DRS but not if you have the picatiny rail, so I don't explicitly offer it as DRS, because it might not work. And if the mini for the Maverick works for the DRS someone might think the standard will also work... and that's a maybe, too many variables so I think it's simpler to have a DRS version, but now you know it's the same mini Maverick version.... I was ahead of my time when I designed the Maverick Mini lol
Thanks for clarification !

Reactions: orion