Driving cross country with air guns

That’s interesting. I didn’t know that, even though I live in CT and go to and through Rhode Island frequently. Its also bizarre, given that RI has more firearm friendly laws than CT in some respects, like no “Assault Weapons” ban or magazine limitations!
Here's a link to a state by state reference to airgun laws, RI info here:

They are indeed classified as firearms but are exempted from SOME but not all of the RI PB laws. Despite this they do seem to be somewhat free regarding air guns.

Warrantless searches of motor vehicles happen all day, every day. It is one of the exceptions to the 4th amendment, and is called the Carroll Doctrine.
I'm not a lawyer but, "In Criminal law, Carroll doctrine refers to a principle that permits a police officer to search an entire motor vehicle and any containers inside it if there is probable cause to believe the vehicle contains contraband or the fruits, instrumentalities or evidence of criminal activity."
So unless they have probable cause for the Bolded area, it would be a violation of the 4th amendment. Speeding, Turn Signal, Improper lane change, etc. would not fall under the Carroll Doctrine.

If they saw him stopping and talking to a known drug dealer, than that may apply. If they saw him transferring jars of liquid, than it may apply.

Just because it happens everyday doesn't make it legal, and I think we can agree that Police are poorly trained on the laws. When I owed an Hair Salon, all the stylist had two years, 40 hour weeks of training and then had to pass a State test to CUT HAIR. To my knowledge no one has ever died from a bad hair cut, but police have ruined peoples lives with their actions.

Like I said, I don't hate cops, I just like the LAW a lot better.

Smitty

Vehicle searches after a traffic stop naturally have existing probable cause. Officers develop more based on behavior- like refusing to comply with simple requests, furtiveness, any odd behavior at all, etc. These types of actions often lead to a "Terry" search of the vehicle; it is not hard to develop PC, based on the observable facts. Good luck.
Might as well thron in "I'm searching your car for Officer Safety." They are your rights, you can give them up if you'd like. I've never had any problem with sitting there quietly and providing the required documents. Then again, I don't knowingly break traffic laws. ;)
Maybe you want to watch this video.
Clearly this officer needs some additional training IMHO

Smitty

Last edited:
Ok - more interesting advice here, thanks again. Those toilet-locked guns ain’t going anywhere that’s for sure.

Now the next question: how do you find a good place to hop out and shoot a few tin cans along the way while taking a lunch/stretch/bathroom break? How far do I have to drive down a forest service road to be ok to do some plinking? or maybe i should just wait until I get to NY…
I think to "hop out and shoot" is a bad practice anywhere. You have no idea who may have a problem with that, or the nature of their reaction. Keep a low profile until you are on friendly ground.

Reactions: Royal Scam
Yep that makes the most sense. Kind of felt like a stupid question when I asked but I was driving through the Cascades recently for some hiking and there were some really nice areas on the forest roads right off the highway where I would feel comfortable plinking some cans. One area actually had some targets set up and looks like it is an unmaintained public range. Anyway when you spend your life living in the suburbs and shooting in your garage you get stupid ideas like this I guess. Well I do at least, don’t know about anyone else.

As far as what to do or not do when pulled over, that’s clearly complicated under certain circumstances for people… but I won’t have any “contraband” since the air guns are not a problem. all of my encounters with the Long Arm of the Law have been reasonable other than small attitude issues that were not hard to deal with ( I know some luck is involved here) so I am not too worried if I get pulled over.

Last edited:
I used to drive through Cleveland on my way to Camp Perry when it was allegedly illegal to travel through the city with firearms. Never gave it a second thought. I don’t drink so the possibility of a DUI or smelling alcohol on my breath was non-existant. I drive the speed limit always, especially when transporting guns.
If you stop in the evening while traveling, don’t order a beer or any alcohol product.
You want to get from point A to point B without any distractions.

Reactions: MrP and Smitty911
Just for general information - IF you get pulled over by the police for any reason.
Do not answer any question!!!!!! Police are not your friend, they are there to Give you a ticket, make money, or arrest you.
You are only required to provide your Drivers Lisc, Registration and Insurance. Best to leave the window rolled up with a slit to pass documents through.
If they ask you to step out of the Car you must, even the passenger. SC already ruled on it.
When you do, roll up all the windows, and lock the doors. You do not have to allow them to have access to anything inside under the 4th amendment.
If they want to know what's inside, they need to get a warrant. If they claim the "Smell" something, they can request a dog come sniff the car, but the detainment cannot last an unreasonably long time.
Best to get Front and Rear view camera's installed for your trip.

Not a Cop Hater, I just like LAWS better (Read the Constitution)!

Smitty
Regardless of whether you think the stop is legit or not. why would you challenge the stop by being a smart ass?

Regardless of whether you think the stop is legit or not. why would you challenge the stop by being a smart ass?
Oh, I think the guy is an A$$hat for yelling at the cop, and it's not a good practice. Yet, he did nothing Illegal.
The police got his feelings hurt, and reacted poorly (making my case for more training) by pulling him over under the guise of "Checking if he was ok" (The SC has ruled several times that Police do not have to protect you or see if you are ok.)
Than the police lied to him about his turn signal (the SC has ruled that Police can lie to you, but you can't lie to them.......hmmmm.).
Than the roll the window down, not a lawful order, etc. etc.

I don't bait police, and the few police at my church, we've talked about these issues. The ones I've allowed into my work building on many occasions to train their K9's, we've talked about these issues as well.

When I ran for Congress a few years back I was amazed and saddened by the fact that almost everyone I had spoken with had never read the Constitution or had any idea of our system of governance.
Like I said, I don't hate police, I like the Law.
Smitty
PS Regardless of what you do, SAFE and SPEEDY TRAVELS.

18 U.S. Code § 926A - Interstate transportation of firearms​

Notwithstanding any other provision of any law or any rule or regulation of a State or any political subdivision thereof,

any person who is not otherwise prohibited by this chapter from transporting, shipping, or receiving a firearm shall be entitled to transport a firearm for any lawful purpose from any place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm to any other place where he may lawfully possess and carry such firearm

if, during such transportation the firearm is unloaded, and neither the firearm nor any ammunition being transported is readily accessible or is directly accessible from the passenger compartment of such transporting vehicle: Provided, That in the case of a vehicle without a compartment separate from the driver’s compartment the firearm or ammunition shall be contained in a locked container other than the glove compartment or console.
(Added Pub. L. 99–360, § 1(a), July 8, 1986, 100 Stat. 766.

Oh, I think the guy is an A$$hat for yelling at the cop, and it's not a good practice. Yet, he did nothing Illegal.
The police got his feelings hurt, and reacted poorly (making my case for more training) by pulling him over under the guise of "Checking if he was ok" (The SC has ruled several times that Police do not have to protect you or see if you are ok.)
Than the police lied to him about his turn signal (the SC has ruled that Police can lie to you, but you can't lie to them.......hmmmm.).
Than the roll the window down, not a lawful order, etc. etc.

I don't bait police, and the few police at my church, we've talked about these issues. The ones I've allowed into my work building on many occasions to train their K9's, we've talked about these issues as well.

When I ran for Congress a few years back I was amazed and saddened by the fact that almost everyone I had spoken with had never read the Constitution or had any idea of our system of governance.
Like I said, I don't hate police, I like the Law.
Smitty
PS Regardless of what you do, SAFE and SPEEDY TRAVELS.

You’re the problem police act the way they do. Why not just comply and get it over with. Why play the lawyer? They’ll just scrutinize you more closely. Nope, your way of thinking will only bring you more trouble.
If everyone did everything Police told them too, than were are our freedoms? They want to look in your house, OK, come on in - It's your 4th Amendment and if it works on you, they think it will work on others. They want to detain you for yelling at them - 1st Amendment - You give up YOUR rights, don't expect me to. They tell you to stop taking picture, 1st Amendment again you'd give up, I won't stop. Hauled in for questioning, even if you didn't do anything, You talk to them there goes your 5th Amendment, I won't.

You give people a little power and soon enough they start abusing it.

Good thing you weren't around in 1775 or later, we'd still be English. :)

You do you, I'll continue to protect my rights and yours, even if you don't want them.

Smitty

You know the expression ” with great power comes great responsibility “. Right now the police have a monopoly on violence, but it seems like many don’t trust the infrastructure to make sure there’s accountability for that power.

This is obviously a politicized issue right now… so in addition to the common sense stuff most of us would agree on there’s all this toxic divisive rhetoric thrown in the discussion (my guess is to try to divide the peasants into two groups that focus on each other instead of those in power so that politicians can continue to get away with serving the interests of lobbyists and the wealthy).

I think most police officers are fine and in the rare event I come into contact with one when they are doing their job I try to be polite and helpful. But I am not interested in satisfying their curiosity so if they want to search my house or car they will need a warrant. I hope they never break in unannounced. It could get ugly. How are you supposed to know who it is breaking in? But I really doubt that will happen.

I don't like it when people get killed by the police. I try to carefully look at what they were doing. It seems like at least in the vast majority of cases the person who was shot was not doing what the officer told them to do. That doesn't make sense to me. If somebody with a gun tells you to do something, it seems like a much better idea to comply. If they are acting illegally there will be a chance to deal with that. Getting yourself shot doesn't help anything. It seems like it is viewed as heroic or something to disobey the officer. Just seems dumb to me. I'd like to see the disobedience stop and I think a lot of the shootings by police would also stop.

I think most police officers are fine and in the rare event I come into contact with one when they are doing their job I try to be polite and helpful. But I am not interested in satisfying their curiosity so if they want to search my house or car they will need a warrant. I hope they never break in unannounced. It could get ugly. How are you supposed to know who it is breaking in? But I really doubt that will happen.

I don't like it when people get killed by the police. I try to carefully look at what they were doing. It seems like at least in the vast majority of cases the person who was shot was not doing what the officer told them to do. That doesn't make sense to me. If somebody with a gun tells you to do something, it seems like a much better idea to comply. If they are acting illegally there will be a chance to deal with that. Getting yourself shot doesn't help anything. It seems like it is viewed as heroic or something to disobey the officer. Just seems dumb to me. I'd like to see the disobedience stop and I think a lot of the shootings by police would also stop.
Agreed, take it up in court not on the street.

thanks you know right now I’m just geeking out on the whole idea of a gun sock. There are things they just don’t teach you in college - someone here mentioned them and I just wrapped 5 of my babies (AIRGUN babies) in silicone impregnated gun socks and am feeling pretty good about it.

The garment bag cracks me up and it is a very good idea actually.

With all the misinformation and anti-gun climate these days I opted for a Camera Tripod soft case to come and go with my PCP. Out of site out of mind. Camera/photographing patches/stickers help with being covert. Chances are you may make shooting videos to post or learn/find your bad shooting habits so you may actually have a camera on you. The one I will use, Link here