Dreamline Tuning

Looking for suggestions...

I picked up a .22 Dreamline Classic a few weeks ago. Primarily I wanted this rifle for low power work - somewhere around 12ft/lbs is what I'm aiming for. Straight out of the box (after cleaning the barrel) it was shooting 15.89gr Hades at around 610fps set to low. This was a touch pokier than I'd have liked ideally, but it was consistent and grouping well, so I left it. Next time I shot the the thing, I couldn't get a group for the life of me. At 30 yards, indoors, I was lucky if I was getting 1.5 inch groups.

At full power, it groups pretty well with both Hades and the 18.1s.

I spoke to a few people who suggested that at lower velocities, a lighter pellet would stabilise more readily. So I ordered a tin of 13.4s, and have shot it at pretty much every velocity from 500 - 710, with a huge range of different hammer spring and reg settings. Each time, it's stupidly consistent over the chronograph, but downrange performance is abject. With shroud removed, it's tighter - but I'm getting flyers at least every 4th shot. Interestingly, when I put the shroud back on, the POI shifts about 10-12" higher at 30 yards.

Knowing that there's been some issues with barrel rigidity, I've made enquiries about a barrel band, but that doesn't explain why it's performing well at full power - if the barrel were the issue, I'd expect similar inconsistencies. 

There must be a sweet spot for low power shooting. These rifles are sold in markets where energy is restricted by law, and if they're were performing like this in those markets, we'd be hearing about it! Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thank you!

Shooting good before you put it up, But not now is a bit of a puzzle. Scope or mounts, bolt probe oring, loose bolt probe (not sure how those attach on the dream) loose liner, teenagers? I don't think the velocity has anything to do with it. It was grouping for you before. Id be tempted to pull the barrel and liner. Clean, inspect, relube liner orings and snug everything back up just so i knew everything was right. Sorry, not much help. Did you open a new tin of pellets by chance? Also, that big of a shift when the shroud is installed sounds like an alignment issue. Maybe index the liner in a different position.

Shooting good before you put it up, But not now is a bit of a puzzle. Scope or mounts, bolt probe oring, loose bolt probe (not sure how those attach on the dream) loose liner, teenagers? I don't think the velocity has anything to do with it. It was grouping for you before. Id be tempted to pull the barrel and liner. Clean, inspect, relube liner orings and snug everything back up just so i knew everything was right. Sorry, not much help. Did you open a new tin of pellets by chance? Also, that big of a shift when the shroud is installed sounds like an alignment issue. Maybe index the liner in a different position.

The velocity definitely is the issue though, as it's grouping well at full power. I haven't indexed the liner, that's certainly worth trying. 

To rule out the floppy barrel worries, get yourself one of these from Stuart Waudby of SMW Engineering. He originally made these for the streamline and Dreamliner guns, but I gave him a shout to add this to his line up for the wildcats. 

1585542444_12751393065e81752cc832f1.57178534.jpeg
1585542445_2734179515e81752d2447e5.41662002.jpeg
1585542445_19690574305e81752d832979.95815780.jpeg

He sent me me an email letting me know his eBay business is temporarily shut down, but you can order from his website out of the UK. It’s made a difference in both my two wildcats along with a buddies 30 cal wildcat. His Shogun on the end of his 700mm barrel showed big time signs of clipping, and after I put one of these on, no more clipping and all 7 shots into a 1/2” dot at 40 yards.

The velocity definitely is the issue though, as it's grouping well at full power. I haven't indexed the liner, that's certainly worth trying.

I dont see how if this is true.

Straight out of the box (after cleaning the barrel) it was shooting 15.89gr Hades at around 610fps set to low. This was a touch pokier than I'd have liked ideally, but it was consistent and grouping well, 

I dont see how if this is true.

Straight out of the box (after cleaning the barrel) it was shooting 15.89gr Hades at around 610fps set to low. This was a touch pokier than I'd have liked ideally, but it was consistent and grouping well, 

So you can see why this has me so confused?

Samuel, when you initially shoot your rifle are you airing up before you begin your shooting session? What is your regulator pressure reading when you’re getting the fliers? And are you single loading your pellets or using a magazine? 

I’d definitely check what others have mentioned first as well check the crown of your barrel liner and threaded collar for a bur that could be clipping the pellets. If your feeding the rifle some lead via a mag maybe try single loading and see if there’s a difference. It could be pellet clipping, maybe you’re just below the reg pressure, could be a funky magazine loading the pellets into the breach with a bent skirt, maybe something internal is loose like the valve holder, or it’s just a matter of finding what your rifle likes as far as pellet vs tune. But if no matter what you try just isn’t working out get in contact with FX or FX USA (depending where you’re at) and see what they say. 

Good morning Drumsnguns, 

Hey Samuel, 

Sorry to see you are having some tuning difficulties, If you would like here are the regional numbers for FX Customer support, we can have one of our techs reach out to you if you DM your personal information, or if you would like to go ahead and call into us we are available at the USA location. I have shared this post with some of our techs and we will see what some possible troubleshooting techniques for you to attempt and get something written out if we do not hear from you and you are still having difficulties. 

FX Customer Service support

Here is the link to different regional numbers to contact. 

https://fxairguns.com/retailers/

Looking for suggestions...

I picked up a .22 Dreamline Classic a few weeks ago. Primarily I wanted this rifle for low power work - somewhere around 12ft/lbs is what I'm aiming for. Straight out of the box (after cleaning the barrel) it was shooting 15.89gr Hades at around 610fps set to low. This was a touch pokier than I'd have liked ideally, but it was consistent and grouping well, so I left it. Next time I shot the the thing, I couldn't get a group for the life of me. At 30 yards, indoors, I was lucky if I was getting 1.5 inch groups.

At full power, it groups pretty well with both Hades and the 18.1s.

I spoke to a few people who suggested that at lower velocities, a lighter pellet would stabilise more readily. So I ordered a tin of 13.4s, and have shot it at pretty much every velocity from 500 - 710, with a huge range of different hammer spring and reg settings. Each time, it's stupidly consistent over the chronograph, but downrange performance is abject. With shroud removed, it's tighter - but I'm getting flyers at least every 4th shot. Interestingly, when I put the shroud back on, the POI shifts about 10-12" higher at 30 yards.

Knowing that there's been some issues with barrel rigidity, I've made enquiries about a barrel band, but that doesn't explain why it's performing well at full power - if the barrel were the issue, I'd expect similar inconsistencies. 

There must be a sweet spot for low power shooting. These rifles are sold in markets where energy is restricted by law, and if they're were performing like this in those markets, we'd be hearing about it! Any suggestions would be really welcome.

Thank you!

Good morning Drumsnguns, 

Hey Samuel, 

Sorry to see you are having some tuning difficulties, If you would like here are the regional numbers for FX Customer support, we can have one of our techs reach out to you if you DM your personal information, or if you would like to go ahead and call into us we are available at the USA location. I have shared this post with some of our techs and we will see what some possible troubleshooting techniques for you to attempt and get something written out if we do not hear from you and you are still having difficulties. 

FX Customer Service support

Here is the link to different regional numbers to contact. 

https://fxairguns.com/retailers/

I appreciate the offer - and everybody else's suggestions.

I've figured it out. It's the magazine that's causing the flyers. Doesn't happen at full power...I guess the velocity at is enough to overcome the problem (at short range)? Anyway, when I switched to single loading, it's spot on accurate with Hades at 610fps. I'm a bit irritated that I didn't think of that sooner, but all good. We got there.

Thanks again all.