• The AGN App is ready! Search "Airgun Nation" in your App store. To compliment this new tech we've assigned the "Threads" Feed & "Dark" Mode. To revert back click HERE.

DREAMLINE TUNING QUESTION

Hello all, I plan to start playing with the tune on my .25cal Dreamline this weekend, I want to shoot slugs through it. I have a lot of different sizes to try, but I'm thinking 25-29gr range. Of course, I also have the slug liner. Ultimately I want to shoot what is going to be the most accurate regardless of the weight. I plan to tune with pellets since I have an abundance, then switch to slugs to get an accuracy test. 

My question is, out of a .25 cal Dreamline with a power plenum, What is a realistic fps to look for, for a pellet/slugs around 29gr.?

Also, what reg pressure should I start with? 135 bar? 

Lastly, does anyone have any experience as to what weights have proven to be more accurate than others? 

I want to hunt beavers and bobcats, so i need it to be dead nuts accurate 50 yards. Of course the further the better, BUT I plan to do my testing at 50y

Thanks,

Brandon

Yeah, I just bought some FX Hybrid slugs (26 gr.) I also have JSB 33.95gr, FX34gr, and JSB Hades 26.54 pellets. I'm going to start my tune around the 135 bar mark with the Hades pellets. I like the JSB Heavy and the fx 34gr.

We will see what happens. I don't have a large air source so hopefully I can get it to where I like it with minimal effort.

Brandon

I have attached a target that I shot at 50 yards with my Dreamline Classic at 50 yards with the configuration outlined above. The low hole at 6 o'clock is my first shot with scope set for 30 yards. The remaining 15 shots are after I adjusted the scope for 50 yards. The black circle is 1 inch. I forgot to add this to my original reply to document the OP's accuracy question. 

1588920833_18202478535eb502011a3711.34146165.JPG

taskula - It is the air tube that came on the .25 Dreamline Classic. I believe it is 290cc or the "long" air tube.

Brandon - All my testing is with the stock pellet liner. I do have a slug liner but have not installed it because I wanted to get a good, repeatable pellet tune before I experimented with slugs. I don't hunt any more so the slug liner is just for fun and curiosity. You indicated your rifle is for hunting so I would think about optimizing it with the Hades pellets if they are accurate in your rifle. Most of the reports I have read indicate the Hades pellets are a good hunting pellet. Based on what I have seen with my rifle you should be able to tune your rifle to shoot the Hades at 920 to 950 fps. 

Hey bud, I got out this weekend and shot my Dreamline, my experience was not what I was hoping. The JSB Heavys 33.94gr shot the best, but even at 25 yards they were not grouping well. The FX Hybrids were grouping about the same 1" group at 25 yards, maybe a little larger, I shoulda take'n photos.

The Reg pressure started at around 130bar but ended up at 150 bar, to get the 26gr Hades shooing about 950ish. I don't know what fps the JSB Heavys were shooting at. I'm wondering if I should turn down my reg pressure OR adjust my hammer spring for less velocity. My fill station is not large, but I will have an 88cu ft bottle this weekend so I should be able to get a lot more practicing / tuning done.

Everything I have seen about this rifle says its really accurate but so far this hasn't been the case with me. I will get some more info next weekend, and some pictures. Hopefully I can find a pellet/tune I like. Should I just pick a pellet/slug I like and tune the rifle to that projectile?

-Brandon

Bradon - The following are the data I got from my stock (before power plenum and Huma Reg) Dreamline Classic with the reg set at 120 BAR:

29.76 inHg

Altitude (GPS) 7,126 ft

JSB Exact King .25 - 25.39gr

Extreme Spread - 7.0 fps (0.8%)

Standard Deviation - 2.0

Average – 905 fps

Based on my data I would think you should be able to get the Hades to shot accurately (assuming you have the power plenum installed) at around 900 fps with a reg setting of 120 to 125 BAR and just adjusting the hammer spring . Not sure which Dreamline you have. On my Classic I had to take the action out of the stock and loosen the locktite that held the hammer spring adjuster. The other Dreamline models are a lot easier to adjust the hammer spring.

I have the Dreamline Classic, Synthetic .25 with power plenum

I gotta be honest, I think the Hades are snake oil, I don't particularly want to shoot them, but I bought them because I wanted to try them. Also they are 26gr, and the ammo I really want to shoot are the Griffin 26gr Hybrid slugs or the FX hybrids, but if I had my preference, the Griffins. In my thinking (which may be wrong) if I were able to tune the rifle to shoot the Hades well, it would translate to shooting the FX / Griffen hybrids well. I also thought they would need to be shooting hot to be accurate, which I believe I was mistaken. I am still pretty new, and I also didn't get a lot of time to test things for myself. Only about 90/100 shots, and a third of thoes were fooling around at 100 yards cuz my pops was shooting at 100 yards.

This weekend I will have a much larger fill station, and will be able to shoot all day. I will take the advise and data given and apply it to my testing. I will let y'all know how it goes next week, I will have pictures this time too. I mean, who doesn't like a thread with pictures!?

Thanks guys!

-Brandon

Brandon - I recommend you pick a pellet or slug and work at getting the best tune you can for that pellet or slug. I also agree with "douger" that typically Diabolo pellets work best below 900 FPS. The best accuracy I have found for JSB King Heavy 33.95 gr in my Classic is 890 fps.

To get a good tune you will need to adjust both regulator pressure and the hammer spring adjuster. The problem with the Classic is not having easy access to the hammer spring adjuster. If you find a regulator setting that works for more than one pellet and/or slug they more than likely will require different hammer spring settings. Also, if you haven't adjusted the hammer spring be aware that it is held in place with locktite. On my Classic I had to carefully use heat (I used a heat gun) to loosen the locktite before I could get it to turn. Once I got it moving I took it out and cleaned both the adjuster and the threads it screwed into.

Here is a good video on tuning a Dreamline Classic .25:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FoH4oMKplA

Another video on how to disassemble a Dreamline Classic:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6zmVII8UOM

Okay guys, so this weekend I got to shoot a lot, I figured I was limited on air so I wanted to stick with one projectile and I chose the FK Hybrid slugs .25cal 26gr. as I had 3 packs of them, and I want to shoot slugs if I can.

I'm shooting the 600mm STX Pellet liner and during my time I shot two full packs. Fooling with my hammer spring, and my reg adjustments, fps from 850-950, I decided on the sweet spot being 905 fps with a reg setting around 120-130 bar. (It's hard to tell with thee FX gauge)

These were my results, and I'm not impressed. Maybe its just me but the slugs don't seem to be the greatest quality "fit and finish" and I wonder if they wern't rushed to get them out. Anyway, I consider the time spent a success, but I think I still have a way to go. Next testing this week will be done with the same slugs, in the STX Slug liner and I'm going to see if I get better or worse results. All shots taken at a 50 yard target, except for the spinner target, it was at 53 yards.

Through out my testing I am parked on a bench and as steady as I can be. In the pictures, I can honestly say 100% the fliers were not me. Every shot was rock steady.

1589770025_16901105225ec1f729ce5a84.86936227.JPG
Now I did shoot this bird at 53 yards, perfict center mass shot!

1589770040_4708852095ec1f738bf8ec5.68800480.JPG
So in this target I fired two shots at the bottom target, made a scope adjustment and the next 10 shots at each orange target.

1589770054_17326882155ec1f746dc42b5.07352825.JPG
This target shows a 10 shot group at the bottom and the other orange targets one shot each

1589770075_10064769865ec1f75b3dafb7.86552829.JPG
This little spin target I could hit 6 out of 10 times at 53 yards.

1589770377_11400305745ec1f8899b9549.49392889.JPG

Well I cleaned the pellet liner and the slug liner tonight per Rj's suggestion and they were both filthy. The slug liner didn't even have but maybe 50 rounds through it! The pellet liner has had a few hundred though. Anyway I don't know why I thought I could get away with not cleaning them, I feel like such a dummy! Seems like I remember a video where Matt Dubber says you didn't have to clean them, or they didn't require as much cleaning and something about led equilibrium.. I'm not blaming Matt, its utterly my fault as a marksmen, I know better too.. lesson learned.

Now, I'm not going to change the liners yet. I'm going to leave the pellet liner in there and see what the FX Hybrids do now. I think I'm also going to clean the pellets from now on, new tin, all cleaned before I shoot any.

-Brandon