Dreamline compact shooting slugs

This morning I was testing/tuning my DL compact 22 with slugs. I tried the NSA 17.5gr .2165 and .217 slugs. I was testing at 50yrds up to 80yrds. I started off with JSB 18gr pellets to set the standard in my groups. I have it tuned to shoot the JSB 853fps.... @ 50yrds, 5 shot groups are one ragged hole that can be covered by a dime. Playing with the reg pressure and spring adjustments...all that fun stuff I got the slugs up to 849fps. Up first was the 17.5gr .2165. @ 50yrds the groups were larger than a dime but could easily be covered by a nickel... ok I think its showing some hope... after a few more adjustments the groups didn't improve. So I moved to the 17.5gr .217 slugs. This was the game changer. After some adjustments I had them shooting 850fps.. @ 50yrd the groups could easily be covered by a dime.. almost real close to the JSB pellets.

Things got real interesting moving 60,70 and 80yrds. The wind started to pick up some... enough to push the pellets around some..slugs weren't affected near as much.. holdover isn't as much with the slugs either... but as I moved back the pellet groups opened up (I'm sure the wind played a roll in it) but the slug groups were tighter...by quite a bit.. 

Side note.... pellets and slugs were shot using my carm single shot loader...

After my results I gotta admit I was a bit excited and headed off to shoot some starlings feeding in the cow pasture.. anything out to 80 was in deep trouble.. and the POP slugs make when hitting them! Cant wait until squirrel season... until then starlings 

I've played around with my .177 compact. In it's factory condition, the best velocity I could get with 12.5 gr slugs was about 790 fps, while 10.3 gr pellets got me 890. All that just under 20 fpe. It's obvious that a slug kit is needed with a stronger hammer spring and weights. That said, I installed a 500 mm barrel and WHOA! My velocity for all pellets and slugs went up 100 fps. I conclude that you can only get so much out of those short barrels. You could, but not without a lot of modification with a slug kit, dual transfer port, and max reg pressure. Oh, and air consumption will be a lot higher too. If anyone can accomplish higher power without a big reduction in air use, let me know. BTW, slug performance and accuracty seems to work only if pushed to higher velocities-950 or better.

What FX barrel is on your DL?
I have a 380mm STX superior liner. I made the kit myself. At the time they were hard if not impossible to find. Always on back order.
( I just realized it's been a couple of months since this post.. it's still shooting slugs great. Popping starlings every chance I get. Awaiting squirrel season to come in)

Reactions: qball
Hey guys looking to test some light slugs in my DL Compact, any ideas of what I should try first?
17gr nsa... Try different sizes.. .216, .217 and so on.. be patient on setting it up. I almost gave up but found what slug mine liked and at what fps.. slugs are fussy. A little adjustment goes a long way.

Reactions: zipsnoke
Thanks Jasonmc I will definitely be giving them a try and will keep those little adjustments in mind! Thanks again
17gr nsa... Try different sizes.. .216, .217 and so on.. be patient on setting it up. I almost gave up but found what slug mine liked and at what fps.. slugs are fussy. A little adjustment goes a long way.